Shindaiwa Saws...Thumbs Up or Down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumbs Up or Down?

• Thumbs UP

Votes: 42 79.2%
  • Thumbs DOWN

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters
Howdy,
I wouldn't bet the farm but, I did hear from a pretty good source that Echo is going to start gutting Shindaiwa.
Regards
Gregg

Shindaiwa is all good by me. I think I've had my hands on about every model at one time or another. Build quality is top notch, won't find any plastic crankcases on these saws.

+1 on the 757's......Rvalue has a "hot" one that I'm pretty sure TRI got ahold of....nitrous,blown or sumptin':clap:

One word for that sleeper........WWWWWWWHOA!
attachment.php

Not too sure on that 757, I think all that I did was put one of them E3 spark plugs in it. Sure seemed to wake it up, didn't it?!?!!?

:cheers:
Mike

Ok we're a Shindaiwa dealer at the shop and this is whats going on. Echo Inc. has merged with the Shindaiwa corporation, since then they have stopped producing and selling saws in the United States and will cut their line-up by about %50...basically the situation of buy out and stop your competitor. Echo will still sell many parts to the Shindaiwa's for years to come but it is a sad shame that things worked out this way. I love my Shindaiwa saws and the whole line of equipment, i pushed them hard and now this. Henceforth, I'm trying to get Husqvarna as our new line of power equipment in the future. And not to offend anyone, but I often hear rumors anymore that within the next 2-3 years you will see certain Stihl saw models in your local box stores :( . Time will tell.

So basically, even though the Shindaiwa website shows that they make chainsaws, they are no longer producing them? In other words, if your dealer doesn't have the model you want in stock, you will more than likely not be able to get it? That is too bad....I have seen several models of Shindaiwa saws being sold of Ebay recently, but I think I'll pass on even considering one because once a manufacturer stops making a product, it starts to get hard to find replacement parts and the value starts to go downhill. I have been down this road before and never plan on going down it again knowingly. The manufacturer may claim that the parts will still be available, but that usually is not true, especially after a few years.

I have (2) T-20 weedwackers made by Shindiawa and they run really good. One was my fathers and the other was my grandfathers. I believe they are from the late 80's when they bought them.

On the other hand I have a 488 saw that I wouldn't give you two cents for. I think it needs some carb work, as it loads up and I cant seem to get it adjusted right. Its a good beater, but for the big stuff I personally believe that Stihl is the product of choice, at least for me!

Craig

Parts will still be readily available for years to come, its part of what will bring echo more business knowing that their producing shindaiwa's parts now. we anticipate you'll be able to get parts for 10+ years to come no problem

Talking of parts, I have a Solo 640 saw that I bought at Costco maybe five or six years ago. It was just a cheap saw, I think that I paid like $99 for it, but try to get a part for it. I need a throttle lever to fit it. Since I live near Memphis, I figured that someone locally would be listed as a dealer, but that is not so. I even went to a couple of shops that carry Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, etc., but they all looked at you like you just fell off of a spaceship the minute you mention the word "Solo". The next step was to call Solo. I talked to a receptionist and she found the part that I need, but it is on backorder and will be at least 4 to 6 weeks at the very earliest. Baileys.com has the part listed as "being in stock", but after ordering it from them, it looks like they are just turning around and reordering it from Solo. So I think you know what the means. That is not what I would call very good customer service, especially from a company that is still making chainsaws, let alone one that is not. Like I said earlier, the saw is only five or six years old. It is not some antique that has been out in the shed for twenty-five years. I am glad that I am not depending on this saw to make a living. Next time, I believe that I will purchase something a lot more common such as Stihl or Husqvarna. I may get burned one time, but I promise you I want get burned a second time. I don't know if this is true of all Solo's, but I don't want to find out. I can't emphasize the importance of having a dealer that stocks an inventory of repair parts. The fact that Shindaiwa is apparently getting out of the saw business can only mean that parts will start to get scarce regardless of what Echo is saying.

well you get into the parts problem with even the big name saws on their cheaper models.

the homeowner saws they don't bother to stock or even make many parts for them. and if you have to go to the dealer and buy a part for an out of warranty saw your going to get taken to the cleaners!

the best solution i have found even for the big guys like stihl and husky is to have a parts saw of close to the same model. that is if you can find a parts saw with plenty of good parts- if you got a "brand" saw the dealer mostly has the parts but just price some of them first.

-:chainsaw:

I have run all brands of saws and I like the shin the best out of what I have ran they don't have a bunch of plastic junk on them and they run good and I don't have to spend an hour trying to start it.

The only thing I know is that the specs of the 488 and 757 were found to be very optimistic, when those were subjected to independant lab testing (dyno etc).
The test was flawed in several ways, but there is no reason to doubt the lab results.

Sorry, I have no link to that test report, just a paper printout - but it is somewhere in the archives........

Last edited:
Back