Shindaiwa Saws...Thumbs Up or Down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumbs Up or Down?

• Thumbs UP

Votes: 42 79.2%
  • Thumbs DOWN

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters
The only thing I know is that the specs of the 488 and 757 were found to be very optimistic, when those were subjected to independant lab testing (dyno etc).
The test was flawed in several ways, but there is no reason to doubt the lab results.

Sorry, I have no link to that test report, just a paper printout - but it is somewhere in the archives........

If the test is flawed than I would think there would be every reason to doubt the lab results. I can't argue whether the specs are optimistic or not, but I can argue that results from flawed tests should be taken with a grain of salt.

Shinny OPE stuff has a great rep amongst the land care/green keeper/golf course maintenance crowd here in Australia.
Their saws are known to be solid, if unremarkable performers.

I haven't been into the nearest dealer for over a month, but the last time I was in there there weren't any Shinny saws on display, only brush cutters, etc and there were a bunch of new orange Echos alongside the Huskies.
In the past they only stocked one or two yellow Echo's and never seemed to turn any over. Talking to the manager he didn't care for them all that much, but had glowing reports back from new Shinny users.

One of the local firewood cutters operates a larger Shinny (757 ??), it's his only saw and it cops a hiding.
Firewood is his main income for close to eight months of the year, and the local saw repairer (a Husky fan) is a mate of mine and he reckons Smally can't kill his Shinny.

The only thing I know is that the specs of the 488 and 757 were found to be very optimistic, when those were subjected to independent lab testing (dyno etc).
The test was flawed in several ways, but there is no reason to doubt the lab results.

Sorry, I have no link to that test report, just a paper printout - but it is somewhere in the archives........

Good to see you in here buddy!! You never disappoint....

:cheers:
Mike

Good to see you in here buddy!! You never disappoint....

:cheers:
Mike

Mike,

I went duckless hunting last week. My man took my, er your shinny out to help his Grandpa (and others?) cut some firewood. Said he didn't have much time, so he took the bigger saw. (You know how one justifies ones actions when no one is around :)) Said he was marching through the logs so fast one by one the other people put their saws down, and set up for hand splitting. Couldn't compete. He was stoked. It must have been running just right. Good job! Thanks.

Ck with supercabs - AR GTG

Back