Shindy 488, questions/comments

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic8852

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Picked this up at an auction the other day for a good price. Got to get a look at it yesterday evening and got some pics. P/C is spotless, blows 165, pulled the air filter off and the carb area was really clean. I've read that these are decent little saws. It's got a Walbro HDA carb on it with only the low side jet being adjustable. Did notice that there is a brass plug where the high jet (should be). Is there walbro available to put on it with an adjustable h jet or is it possible to pop out that plug and put in a jet?View attachment 264318View attachment 264319View attachment 264320
264318d1354029398-wp_001025-jpg
264319d1354029404-wp_001026-jpg
264320d1354029409-wp_001027-jpg

Hey Medic!

What's goin' on over there?

Back on topic ... :) .. I have read where a Walbro HDA-79-1 or a 79-B would be a suitable substitute.

Good 50cc saw, if your going to keep it I'd definitely go for the adjustable high carb, and I'd take the jug off and clean up the castings around the intake boot mount, they tend to leak (suck) air at the mount and have lean burndowns from it. Properly adjusted and aintained they are a forever saw.

I've run 488's with and without the high end adjust. Truth be told I think I run them a little bit richer than necessary when I set the high end myself. The 488's have been pretty reliable and easy to keep going. I'd hate to burn one up as I'm running a little short on Shindaiwa stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Medic!

What's goin' on over there?

Back on topic ... :) .. I have read where a Walbro HDA-79-1 or a 79-B would be a suitable substitute.

oh, you know, working on saws, cutting some wood, etc...Buddy of mine bought a house to flip down the street from me. Tree service came in dropped a couple of hackberrys, so i've been down there getting all the free wood i can.:msp_thumbup:
Any ideas on bars i can throw on that 488 shindy? Its running an 18" .325/050, thinking of maybe dropping it down to a 16" since the darn thing is so light and smooth. Will a standard stihl consumer style mount work on it? oil holes and such?

oh, you know, working on saws, cutting some wood, etc...Buddy of mine bought a house to flip down the street from me. Tree service came in dropped a couple of hackberrys, so i've been down there getting all the free wood i can.:msp_thumbup:
Any ideas on bars i can throw on that 488 shindy? Its running an 18" .325/050, thinking of maybe dropping it down to a 16" since the darn thing is so light and smooth. Will a standard stihl consumer style mount work on it? oil holes and such?

Free wood is good wood and close to home is even better!

I bought mine as PHO and found an eBay deal on an 18" GB B&C that was too good to pass up. Same setup that you have, but it's safety chain that will soon be losing the extra bumpers. It runs very nice without a whole lot of pushing. I don't see why you couldn't go to a 16" at all .... but I'd never put a 20" on there with doing a MM first. Your saw's so clean, I'm thinking it came with the 18" from the original purchase ... so maybe the factory thought it could handle it ... I dunno.

Here is a LINK to the data on the Acres site. The graphic is actual size.

yeah, visited acres after i posted. Just ran out to the shop and dug up an almost new 16" oregon bar that is 3/8 050, for which i have a couple of chains for. Think it came off an old wild thing or something. looks like the holes match up, just wouild need to spin off the clutch and swap rims to a 3/8 instead of that 325. maybe put a 7 on it, the saw feels like it would have enough power to run that fine. hmmm....have to give that a shot tomorrow, getting ready to head to another auction here in a few hours...

Bar mnt.

Yeah... Shinny and poulan bars match. Huge bonus for me as I have a few of both! I have a factory 18" bar on my 488 and it pulls it perfectly buried in oak.

That is a clean 488. Nice

Junk.......

I have one of these and personally think the damn thing is junk. I have a Stihl 026 that will run circles around this 488.

Just my opinion having run this 488 for a number of years

Craig

I have one of these and personally think the damn thing is junk. I have a Stihl 026 that will run circles around this 488.

Just my opinion having run this 488 for a number of years

Craig

Fine ... you're free to send me your junk. I'll even pay the shipping! :msp_thumbup:

All I know about that saw is that it puts out quite a bit less power than advertised, and it weights more than advertised - also, the ergonomics (reportedly) are far from on par with some other saws in the 50cc class.

Edit; That info is from a test report where it was both lab tested (dyno, weight etc), and compared to other 50cc saw in actual use. I have zero personal experience with it, and don't want to.

Last edited:
aaar the shinny 488 oh my dear deity I spent 4 years on the back of them 4 years fix'n em sorry I canna abide them a good honest saw best I can say enjoy it will get the job done but dont be in hurry or wanting pro saw returns

the bits that dont fall off are just ok the outboard cutch n chain brake set ups foul the muff will rattle off or burn the chain brake will bust off at the weak point or stop workin as the steel band flops out the 1/2 throttle set stop workin the off on switch as well the chain adjust is weak n stripps its thread easy.

On the bright side the oil n fuel plugs are tip top and stihl should copy them git rid of flippys

I've run Shindaiwa's almost exclusively for over 20 years without experiencing any of the problems mentioned above. I must be doing something wrong.
I can't debate apples to apples as I have very little experience with the other saws but so far so good with the Shindaiwa products.
Why would you ever have to tighten a chain enough to strip out the chain adjustment? I've got to get a bigger screw driver.

On the older model Shindaiwa's the on/off switch is a simple metal toggle switch.
I bought a newer 490 awhile back and it has a plastic one switch does all setup and I can see it and the internal choke levers being somewhat prone to easy breakage.
Given the choice between it and the older 488 I prefer the set up on the 488.
Now the older 500's were pretty stout but not the easiest to work on if something did break.

Latest posts

Back