Shiny new Super Split!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblue0827

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Feels like Christmas! I spoke with Paul at Super Split for about a half hour on the phone, and settled on the Super Split HD. To keep budget down, I used an engine I had laying around and built my own production table. Do I expect it to hold up as long as the factory production table option? No. Do I expect it to suit my needs until I can either build something nicer or buy a production table from Super Split? Absolutely. All I can say after seeing / using this machine in person is WOW! I have an appreciation for design and this thing is solid. Well designed, well built and should out last me (and I am only 25).

Don't make fun of my extra long carriage bolts, again something that was laying around and I was too excited to split to cut them back.. I will get around to it some day!

20140220_171916.jpg20140220_171927.jpg20140220_171935.jpg20140220_191016.jpg

You don't want to see the welds either lol. I am a woodworker. I told my buddy there should be no welder fearing for their job after I was done and I could certainly keep a slag hammer and grinder guy in business! Stick welding is an art, definitely appreciate what some guys can do.

Nice choice of splitter there!! I visited Paul in person last winter and wound up with a SS a few weeks later. You already seem impressed so I don't have to tell you what a great machine it is. One thing to note. If it is cold out and before you start using the machine, pull the ram out by hand and check that the bearings that ride along the I beam(top and bottom) are all spinning. I think they get a little gunk in them and it takes a sec to free them up. Enjoy!!

you could of saved a little more money and told them to keep the stand and used just a little longer bolts:D

next time try reverse psychology , it works on some kids and most 40 year olds!

and you are right you might have a hard time wearing it out , there great for the straight grained wood!
good luck with it!

Thanks for the advice Mr. Finn. Any other tips? I know like all machines (and a good pair of boots) there is a break in period, so what else should I expect?

you could of saved a little more money and told them to keep the stand and used just a little longer bolts:D

next time try reverse psychology , it works on some kids and most 40 year olds!

and you are right you might have a hard time wearing it out , there great for the straight grained wood!
good luck with it!

That is hysterical! Alright alright.... I'll do some trim work next time I am in the shop!

looks like you already broke it in , hold off on the big rounds as long as you can.
run the smaller stuff and get it seasoned in.
but those are pretty much bullet proof design .
I have seen guys run 25" rounds through them with no problems other than catching the halves.

Keep a scraper handy to keep the top of the I beam clean, it helps the bearing run smoother. I'm sure other owners will chime in with other tips.

Already figured that one out lol! Learned something else this morning... I was messing with stuff and looking the machine over and then started it, with the handle engaged. Good lesson learned there! I was alone, but had someone been prepping a round while I was getting the motor running could have been dangerous. From now on it will be 1.) ensure the handle is not engaged 2.) choke / kill switch 3.) pull.

Small and free, but a valuable lesson learned! I think splitting alone for the first few cords will be the safest. I am used to running an old slow hydraulic, so I need some time to learn this machine.

That was nice of Paul to give you a savings like that. Maybe that's why they are #1 when it comes to a super splitter...

That was nice of Paul to give you a savings like that. Maybe that's why they are #1 when it comes to a super splitter...
Paul was a pleasure to work with. Saved me even more money on shipping by giving me the option of picking up at the carrier facility rather than delivery to my house.

I have probably put 1 to 1 1/2 cord through the splitter so far. This thing likes more than straight grained wood. Take Paul's advice of splitting around knots and taking a second to read the grain and it will eat through anything. I have split cherry, red oak, and locust so far. I ran into 3 pretty deep crotches. Simply plan your cuts and splits around those and now I have 3 nice chunks for bonfire time this summer. Sure, I probably could have managed to hammer it a few times and get 3 more pieces of firewood, but why? I'd rather set them to the side, baby my equipment and burn them in the yard.

Attachments

• 20140228_172634.jpg
    20140228_172634.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 20140301_175436.jpg
    20140301_175436.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 93
I like your table. It appears the recoil on your engine would be more convenient if you un-bolted it and rotated it 1/2 turn to the bottom. Then it would pull strait back. The picture makes it look a bit difficult to access the current way.

Back