Shipping my saws, how to best package?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoutillac

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As the title says I will be shipping 3 saws to the south east from Seattle.Anybody have any great packaging tips so my saws won't get all jacked up by the Fed Ex monkeys? I was considering building a wood frame for each one, securing the saw to the frame then boxing it up. The other thought is to do a 2 piece spray foam deal in plastic bags to protect it, or maybe both. I am amazed my earthquakes showed up unbroken even with the felling spikes sticking through the box. What have you guys done to ensure the saws are not in pieces when they arrive at their destination?

Thanks
Kevin

wrap the saw in bubble wrap and then fill the void in the box with packing peanuts

We get refurb motors at work that are bolted to a piece of plywood. Keeps them secure in the box.

You could cut some thin plywood and use heavy zipties to keep saw secure in the middle of box. Then fill the voids. Or use a box inside another box.

Wrap it in plastic and use spray on pu foam around it when it's in a box. Just be sure that everything is securely wrapped in plastic.... ;)

As the title says I will be shipping 3 saws to the south east from Seattle.Anybody have any great packaging tips so my saws won't get all jacked up by the Fed Ex monkeys? I was considering building a wood frame for each one, securing the saw to the frame then boxing it up. The other thought is to do a 2 piece spray foam deal in plastic bags to protect it, or maybe both. I am amazed my earthquakes showed up unbroken even with the felling spikes sticking through the box. What have you guys done to ensure the saws are not in pieces when they arrive at their destination?

Thanks
Kevin
You can use cardboard boxes, No need to build a coffin. I Start wiith draining all fluids. removing bar and chain. I use a piece of hard foam on my bumper spikes. You could also remove them. Put the saw in a plastic bag and zip tye. Place saw in a heavy weight cardboard box and overpack. So saw will not move. Then place that box in another box with at least 2 or 3 inches around all sides for additional cushioning. Place bar and chain in outside box. Seal and ship. I have not had a saw issue in shipping and numerous comments on how well it was packed. Good luck. The trick is to double box. You bag the saw so that if any fluids leak. They wont stain the box. You do want the carrier to ship the saw back to you.

I always remove the bar and wrap it in cardboard. I make sure the box for the saw is just big enough for it to fit in, w/o being able to move around. I usually make sure the bottom of the box is double thickness. You're gonna need some flat cardboard to cut to size to fit the bottom of the box.

I use foam peanuts and bubble-wrap extensively. Both are relatively cheap to buy, and will assure good protection for the saw. And, it should go w/o saying, no gas or oil in the saw. I wrap the saw in bubble-wrap with plenty of strapping tape.

When it comes to sealing the box flaps, I prefer to use Elmer's Glue, rather than tape. Glue will make the box more rigid and sturdy. Once the box flaps have been tightly glued, I still use tape to seal the seams. Don't scrimp on the tape either. Buy good thick shipping tape.

When it comes to addressing the box, I use clear tape over the name / address it's going to. It protects the address from any fluids that might end up on the box during transit.

And, I always pay for tracking, whether the buyer wants it or not. I guess USPS now offers tracking at no add'l. cost. I would assume that UPS and FED-EX probably now do the same.

I've done the above many times, and have never had an issue with shipping and getting the item to the buyer in one piece.

I forgot to mention, that Home Depot sells box that are very economically priced. They also have heavy-duty boxes that cost just a bit more. I prefer to use a new box, vs. a used, worn box that has a bunch of writing or printing on it. Nothing like receiving a box and it looks as if it's been thru 3 or 4 moves, or was used to store stuff in. Not a good thing.

Last edited:
I've packed saws using tons of news paper. Just put a couple inches on the bottom of the box, put the saw in, and pack all the remaining spaces tightly with news paper. Get' er good and sung. As a test, tape the box shut, pick it up and shake it vigorously, if you detect movement, open it up and add packing.

You can use cardboard boxes, No need to build a coffin. I Start wiith draining all fluids. removing bar and chain. I use a piece of hard foam on my bumper spikes. You could also remove them. Put the saw in a plastic bag and zip tye. Place saw in a heavy weight cardboard box and overpack. So saw will not move. Then place that box in another box with at least 2 or 3 inches around all sides for additional cushioning. Place bar and chain in outside box. Seal and ship. I have not had a saw issue in shipping and numerous comments on how well it was packed. Good luck. The trick is to double box. You bag the saw so that if any fluids leak. They wont stain the box. You do want the carrier to ship the saw back to you.

Pretty much how I do it too...

Only shipped one, but it was 070 goin overseas ($120 for shipping) so i built a wooden frame box, zip tied it to all sides and wrapped it in cardboard. Make sure to really drain it if you plan on flying it.

These are the instructions I send to people who are shipping me saws who have not done it before.

* Drain all gas and oil and let the fuel tank air out without the cap
* Remove the bar and chain and replace the clutch cover with the bar nuts (no need to fully tighten)
* Wrap the chain in heavy paper and place in a Ziplock bag
* If there is a felling "dog" on the front remove it, wrap it in paper and put in the bag with the chain (if left on it may punch through the side of the box)
* Make a sleeve of cardboard for the bar and tape it tightly so the bar can't come out either end
* Wrap the powerhead in several layers of trash bags
* Layer the bottom and sides of the box with an additional layer of cardboard
* Place and tape the bar in the bottom of the box. Be sure there is adequate cardboard on each end to prevent the bar from coming through the side.
* Place the saw in a smaller box or wedge it in place with Styrofoam or empty plastic bottles and add plastic peanuts if necessary
* Cover the entire top of the box with a piece of cardboard and close flaps
* Securely tape all openings shut and reinforce the bottom with tape
* Make an address label and cover completely with tape
* Deliver to the shipper of your choice

I have received 3 saws in the past week where the bar oil was not drained. One was not wrapped in plastic and it bled through to the outside of the box. The other 2 were wrapped and I had to wipe off a film of oil from both of them.

DRAIN YOUR SAWS!

I build a wooden crate and block the saws in so that nothing can move. The last saw I shipped, the recipient said he though they could have run it over with the truck and not hurt anything.

I've shipped several saws and have gone to one of my friendly saw shops and use/modify the boxes they receive their saws in. There always heavy duty cardboard and have internal baffles restricting the movement of the saws inside to box.
Cheap and it works for me
2stroker

Do forget to remove the spikes, if you have large ones.

Those plastic sacks that dog,cat,chicken what have you feed comes in make for good packing material.

I use cardboard box and cut a layer of cardboard to fit tight in the bottom so the bottom is double layer. Then fold a couple pieces of cardboard to form a couple of triangles about a 1 1/2" high and put them in the box and set the saw on them. Then put the saw in a clear plastic bag and use cheap spray foam under the saw and around it to lock it in place. use more folded cardboard and foam near the top.
works real well.

Lots of good advice here from experienced shippers, drain it, bag it, solid styro and lots n lots of paper is my method

Back