Shocked and slightly amazed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did this the other day. Dropped my th saw 40 ft onto concrete, in a hurry and dumb on my part.

It cracked like a y almost where the screw goes into the muffler cover and broke the muffler cover... (echo 340) used brake cleaner, a dremmel tool and scuffed up the area and alot of jb weld. Working great, got maybe 10 more hours on the saw so far. I could've swapped cases because it's the best runner and I keep acquiring these saws. I had 5 and just sold one for $100 bucks..

My opinion, jb weld it..

Last edited:
Once i read the mismatched screw part, I didnt even have to go further :) ha.

I cant believe how cobbled together some saws are - although I must admit: a screw with electrical tape to "thicken it & make it fit" is a new one, even for me.

Oh no, it wasnt electrical tape, it was Teflon tape.

I probably have a nice 024 case here I'd sell real reasonable. IMO ..if you've worked on a few stihl saws you can swap it out for a good crankcase in about the same amount of time it takes you to try to repair yours. Even if you fix the oil leak, you still have the messed up tapped holes on the recoil that you would/should deal with.

LOL - you hit the nail regarding those "artists"!

I wonder how pure that vinegar has to be - 35% is the most we get here? :confused:

Dosn't have to be too strong, as it's the slight corrosive effect from the low PH that frees up the oil soaked into the oxides.

Vinegar is also the best solvent for uncured Poly vinyl epoxys.
Gets it right out of the skin when nothing else will, when you're done playing with the JB or Marine-Tex.

Hows come ya can't get real Vinegar over there?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back