Shop question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyBlue

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a homeowner and getting ready to tear down a yard sale find (Stihl 020T). It is VERY dirty and needs a good cleaning, At least. Question about Parts Cleaners and the fluid you guys use in yours. Mechanic friend says some use Mineral Spirits and others use Diesel Fuel. One seams a whole lot more flammable and stupid that the other. With the cost of a good quality Parts Washer Fluid running as much as 100+ bucks, what are the alternatives?

A lot of parts it's fine to rinse in fresh, clean gas. For your carburetor if you plan to clean it, use any non flammable brake parts cleaner. For exterior stuff like painted surfaces, engine parts and such I usually use some combination of a vinegar/water mixture, soap, compressed air, things like that.

If you have a shelf in the dryer, works good also for drying, as long as she ain't in the house. I've used the oven a few times to bake paint on all the metal saw parts. Of course best use stove vent and air out the house and stove real good. Or just say you burnt something in the oven.

Steve

Five gallon bucket with diesel fuel, small brushes and compressed air for large parts. Carb cleaner for carb. Some brake parts cleaner. Have used gas before, but after using, spray plastic parts with WD40 or parts look like crap.

Non odor paint thinner or mineral spirits. 5 gal pails are around $50 at lowes. My parts tank hold 25 or 30 gals I think. Lasts years if I'm good about not just tossing in let's say a hub that has 5lbs of grease still in it.

It's pretty much the same stuff Safety clean sells at 1/4 of the price.

Diesel kind of works but it will need rinsing after and dunno about you, but I don't like smelling like diesel too much. Little bit on a shirt and next thing you kniw, the next few loads of landry smell like it.

My parts washer has mineral spirits in it. As said above blow off parts real good first. Also i use bulk gallons of wd40 in a shop air pressureized sure shot sprayer. Between the pressure and the liquid its like pressure washing your saw with a gentle solvent. If you put plenty of air in the sprayer its quite powerful.

My parts washer has mineral spirits in it. As said above blow off parts real good first. Also i use bulk gallons of wd40 in a shop air pressureized sure shot sprayer. Between the pressure and the liquid its like pressure washing your saw with a gentle solvent. If you put plenty of air in the sprayer its quite powerful.
Info on the sure shot sprayer please?

Tractor Supply sells parts washer fluid. Otherwise I use mineral spirits and brake cleaner. Using any sort of fuel is foolish on many levels. I also use nitrile gloves almost religiously in my old age.

Its called a sure shot. You can buy that brand or maybe another at orellys auto. Im sure they can be bought for cheap online. With my commercial account they are like $35. But they all work the same. You fill them with a solvent. Connect to shop air fill up to whatever pressure they say and go to town i dont keep them connected to air but you can with proper fittings.. I have modified mine so it holds full shop air at 135psi. I think they 90psi max i highly recommend a face shield. Use what ever solvent you want they are good to handle rough stuff.

I start with mineral spirits, a chip brush, and a brass wire brush. If that isn't aggressive enough, I move to gasoline. Then, after getting the really stubborn stuff off with gasoline, I rinse the parts again in mineral spirits.

I am lucky we have a ultra sonic cleaner at work lol, just clean in with the same mixed gas you use in the saw oops did not see parts cleaner, vinegar and water works

I also have an old coffee filter basket with the handle on it I drilled about a dozen 1/4" holes in, every once in a while, I put a filter in it, hang it on the side of my parts washer and stick the hose in it and let it run while I'm at my bench.

SuperClean (or similar Zep product at Home Depot): water-based degreaser with sodium hydroxide (lye). Check the label; not all 'purple' cleaners are the same.

Wear gloves and splash goggles. Don't soak aluminum too long

Works fast. No odor. Non-flammable. Less than $10/gallon. At home centers and auto parts stores.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back