Shortcuts and tricks I Learned and Relearned While working on the Husky 371/372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
For the most part the 372 is easy to work on with the exception of the fuel line which I fought with for 1/2 hr., till I decided to slice the end of the line at a steep angle so I could get it into the hole enough to fetch it with a pair of needle nose. I'm sure there are easier ways which I'd like to hear about.

Also, the jug, muff and carb will come off and go back on as a complete unit, but I guess most here knew that already.

I also noticed that the throttle cable can stretch and/or wear the plastic parts they are mated to, thus preventing WOT, so I replaced the plastic parts on the carb and got WOT.

It's a bit of a struggle to re & re the fuel tank even when the threaded pin is removed. Any tricks there?

The oil pump is easy to remove and replace if the brass feed pipe is lifted out of it's recess as a unit. It is often covered with goo which gives the impression it's inbedded into the casing.

I'm living proof I have forgotten more than what I have learned! Lol
If a guy worked on the same saw every day I guess one could be torn down, cleaned and reassembled in two hrs. I just did two 372's and they took 3 -4 hrs. each.,without splitting the crankcase, although I could have spent more time cleaning them than what I did.
Gypo

NIce shop. It's well lit.
attachment.php

Nice work area, looks like laundry day. Are you still working for the drilling company or back to logging? Last question, what kind of bike is in the background as I am an old Bul fan.

NIce shop. It's well lit.
attachment.php
Ya, nothing beats working outside as long it's not windy! Lol

pioneergy, the snow is rapidly melting, but lots still around. Here's a pic of across the street! lol

barneyrb, I got bumped off the drilling job after only 5 days. They brought their own crew up from Wells B.C. That's the second false start I got up here.
I may have a midnightjob driving a rock truck, but I'm not going to hold my breathe lol.
Things are really mickey mouse up here. I really miss the logging but may have to settle for cutting firewood to keep the wolf from the door.
John

appears to be well ventilated also... That is very important if using any form of solvent, and when running the engines in the shop.

it's an OSHA thing....

It was just the smoke coming out of the chimney that was getting on the laundry! Holy smokin panties! Lol
Gypo

Howdy John,
The best way to do a fuel line is with the small stainless steel wires that come on repair tags. Leave the line cut at an angle like you mentioned. I use an old scissors to cut the wire at an angle also. It puts a nice point on the wire. Feed the wire down from the top (pointed end first). Stick the wire through the fuel line where you cut it so the wire is only going through one wall of the fuel line. Fold the wire and twist it around it self. Then just pull on the wire and feed the fuel line. Just cut the small piece of line off where you poked the wire through.
When I do a top end, the handle bar comes off and I do the muffler, carb, cylinder and piston as a unit. When I go back together, I stuff the piston into the cylinder before hand and then just line up the piston, slide in the pin and the clip.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy John,
The best way to do a fuel line is with the small stainless steel wires that come on repair tags. Leave the line cut at an angle like you mentioned. I use an old scissors to cut the wire at an angle also. It puts a nice point on the wire. Feed the wire down from the top (pointed end first). Stick the wire through the fuel line where you cut it so the wire is only going through one wall of the fuel line. Fold the wire and twist it around it self. Then just pull on the wire and feed the fuel line. Just cut the small piece of line off where you poked the wire through.
When I do a top end, the handle bar comes off and I do the muffler, carb, cylinder and piston as a unit. When I go back together, I stuff the piston into the cylinder before hand and then just line up the piston, slide in the pin and the clip.
Regards
Gregg

Thanks for the tips Gregg.
John

That Honda looks like a 79 xr185, if it is a 78 then its probably an xl185. They only made the xr185 in 79. But it could be others but sure does look like my xr185.

That Honda looks like a 79 xr185, if it is a 78 then its probably an xl185. They only made the xr185 in 79. But it could be others but sure does look like my xr185.

I just went out and looked and it's a 250 XR. I may be wrong about the year 78 or 79 not sure.
John

Ya, nothing beats working outside as long it's not windy! Lol

pioneergy, the snow is rapidly melting, but lots still around. Here's a pic of across the street! lol

barneyrb, I got bumped off the drilling job after only 5 days. They brought their own crew up from Wells B.C. That's the second false start I got up here.
I may have a midnightjob driving a rock truck, but I'm not going to hold my breathe lol.
Things are really mickey mouse up here. I really miss the logging but may have to settle for cutting firewood to keep the wolf from the door.
John

John, the trees may be sparse and raggity up your way but the scenery is breathtaking for us Easteners.
Pioneerguy600

Great shop

But I asume it's a real pain, not having the floor sparkling clean, when a reeaall small piece falls onto the floor. But I'm wondering, what's in the plastic box and on the work bench? Let me guess, your third 372? :laugh:

attachment.php

You need new rear tires.

attachment.php

Man I am envious! At least I can admit it. And a great idea to make a specific thread for a saw.

Last edited:
appears to be well ventilated also... That is very important if using any form of solvent, and when running the engines in the shop.

Sure is, but some times a roof is nice to have (it is snowing here, right now).....:help:

Another great Gypo thread! :yourock:

Back