Shortest bar I could put on a 661?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altair

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Whats the shortest bar I could put on my 661, without risk of over revving the engine, or damaging the saw?

Would love an 18" but I wonder if that is just TOO short?

Whats the shortest you guys use?

Thanks guys.

On a 661 you want to put a 18" bar !! Lol according to their spec page you can go 16" but my question is : WHY would you want all that power head to pull an 18" bar. Over revving is not an issue a chain saw has max revs period no matter the length of the bar, it will just be able to pull that bar with no effort though on the engine. But if it were me I would go get a nice light 45-50cc with an 18 bar. Your arms will appreciate. The money spent on a proper bar chain setup for the 661 is gonna cost you anyway.
cc185dac5a30fca770b0715cf6ae39e0.jpg

Thanks guys, I know its overkill, but my beloved MS440 just went to chainsaw heaven, and right now I can't afford the $2300 it costs over here to replace it.

Have an 18" bar and chain from the 440, was hoping it would safely run on the 661 (same pitch chain etc etc).

Another option is I may just buy a 59cc Zomax chink cheapy here (299 $NZ) and see how long it lasts..I ain't gonna be mixing no 25:1 so it will have to survive on 40:1 lol

Yes my arms are a definite consideration using a short bar on the 661...at my age using a 25" on this saw is bad enough!

Thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts.

A few years ago Baileys had 15" bar/chain combo really cheap so I put it and an 8t rim on a 372 just to impress the neighbors.

I would just get the zomax and run it. With proper operation and care, it should work for you just fine. Prices there seem pretty crazy.

How bad is the 440? No chance of a rebuild?

I run a 20" on my ported 660 with an 8 pin and low rakers. I wouldn't mind running an 18". It's a fun combo for sure.

I have a 16" B/C I sometime run on my ported 660. It's a good setup in the right conditions. Matter of fact I can bog it down quite easily in OZ hardwood with them big dawgz set. Bare in mind the dawgz are pretty long so you loose a little effective cutting length.

Yeah the MS440 was "terminal" according to the Stihl dealer, reckoned the crank had a roller bearing that had chipped off. Sold it on an auction site here for $330 with an honest description, guy who bought it is going to do a full rebuild because he can.
In any case with my limited knowledge I wouldn't attempt to split a case, plus a Stihl crank is $NZ700...wouldn't use a chink one, plus I still have to buy P/C..starts to add up.
Might buy an MS391 in the future as a 440 replacement, I have the 661, so something between the MS180 and MS661 would be good.
You guys ran any chink saws, do they run well on 40:1 synthetic, or do I HAVE to use a mineral at 25:1 to make it last a wee while? I'm tempted to just use the Stihl mix and see how long it lasts.
Got a huge gum to do soon, so there will be lots of middle sized wood..this tree in all honesty is the biggest I've seen in my 50 years..quite intimidated by it to be honest. Will be fun though, got an arborist mate who will do the climbing etc on it. Here in NZ gum is really sought after for firewood.

Wow those are some crazy prices. Make sure you show a video or 10 with an 18 " it will be cool to watch

Yeah the MS440 was "terminal" according to the Stihl dealer, reckoned the crank had a roller bearing that had chipped off. Sold it on an auction site here for $330 with an honest description, guy who bought it is going to do a full rebuild because he can.
In any case with my limited knowledge I wouldn't attempt to split a case, plus a Stihl crank is $NZ700...wouldn't use a chink one, plus I still have to buy P/C..starts to add up.
Might buy an MS391 in the future as a 440 replacement, I have the 661, so something between the MS180 and MS661 would be good.
You guys ran any chink saws, do they run well on 40:1 synthetic, or do I HAVE to use a mineral at 25:1 to make it last a wee while? I'm tempted to just use the Stihl mix and see how long it lasts.
Got a huge gum to do soon, so there will be lots of middle sized wood..this tree in all honesty is the biggest I've seen in my 50 years..quite intimidated by it to be honest. Will be fun though, got an arborist mate who will do the climbing etc on it. Here in NZ gum is really sought after for firewood.

I know things are probably different there, but up here that ain't no way to talk about people or things from China.

Anyone know what this is a copy of? 59cc, 22 inch bar, here in NZ for $299.

Attachments

• Zomax-ZM6000-2.jpg
    Zomax-ZM6000-2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks guys, I know its overkill, but my beloved MS440 just went to chainsaw heaven, and right now I can't afford the $2300 it costs over here to replace it.

Have an 18" bar and chain from the 440, was hoping it would safely run on the 661 (same pitch chain etc etc).

Another option is I may just buy a 59cc Zomax chink cheapy here (299 $NZ) and see how long it lasts..I ain't gonna be mixing no 25:1 so it will have to survive on 40:1 lol

Yes my arms are a definite consideration using a short bar on the 661...at my age using a 25" on this saw is bad enough!

Thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts.
I just cut with a guy yesterday who had one of those zomax since "I can't afford...." I am so sorry for this man tryin to firewood for sale. I'm on the look out at auction for something he could use that would serve him better. Hope you have good luck/fortune.

Back