Should extras be included with new Stihl Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the dealers I know is like that he don't let the screwdrivers go with the equipment had this aimed at phil berts post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

l accept what your saying and you are entitled to charge whatever suits you. However if your not offering anything and someone can purchase the same product/warranty from a dealer in the next town for less, you WILL loose a lot of business. This is a simple fact of the free market. Ever heard the saying, '1 bird in the hand is better than 10 in the bush'. Well sometimes you got to look at the bigger picture. Even if you make zero profit on a saw, if the customer leaves happy guess where he will come to get service/parts and other products. Who will the customer recommend to his family/friends when they need to buy a saw or have one serviced? Who will your suppliers give the best deals to..the shop that sells a 100 saws a year or the shop that sold 10,000? High turnover will keep you books looking good and give you buying power. Most people WILL take price over pretty smiles and if you want to grow in this highly competitive consumer world you gotta offer something different to the guy down the road. You want to be taking HIS customers and have people drive the extra mile to your shop as they KNOW you can offer better. Some will never grasp this l realize....but this is the environment you operate in. If you don't accept being average and want to make real money, you must evolve & give the customer what they want. Unfortunately it does not matter how nice you are or how many charity's you support, new customers don't know that and probably don't care!
I've been at this a long time. We are a successful business built on service, not price. I regularly win over customers from operations with lower prices and poor service. We have continuously grown for 33 years, and have doubled our rate of growth in the last 10 years. You ideas are not invalid, and they are certainly practiced by many businesses. However, my ideas of how I do things are backed up by many studies also. Giving discounts to everyone who asks has been proven in several studies to give the impression that a business is "cheap" and sometimes "desperate". The difference my team offers to the consumer is that we do what we say we are going to do, do it in a timely fashion, always tell the truth, own our mistakes without making excuses, and sell a quality product at a fair price. This alone is enough to separate us from the competition in this day and age.

Put a couch outside for free and it sits there. Put a sign saying $50 and it's gone in a day. Cheap/free ain't always what people look for.

I've been at this a long time. We are a successful business built on service, not price. I regularly win over customers from operations with lower prices and poor service. We have continuously grown for 33 years, and have doubled our rate of growth in the last 10 years. You ideas are not invalid, and they are certainly practiced by many businesses. However, my ideas of how I do things are backed up by many studies also. Giving discounts to everyone who asks has been proven in several studies to give the impression that a business is "cheap" and sometimes "desperate". The difference my team offers to the consumer is that we do what we say we are going to do, do it in a timely fashion, always tell the truth, own our mistakes without making excuses, and sell a quality product at a fair price. This alone is enough to separate us from the competition in this day and age.
l wish my stihl dealer was a bit more like you, last time l went in there he tried to charge me $99 dollars for 3 rim sprockets after he charged me $15 0+gst for a carb rebuilt and while l do like to support local business, l ain't an idiot either. You obviously no the game and have stood the test of time and base your business on good ethics and honesty. The point l was trying to make was the free market is not necessarily 'fair' and price point is an important factor. Turnover is also important . For example selling 10 saws in a day with 50 dollars profit IMO is better than selling 1 saw with 150 dollars profit for more than the reason of gross profit alone which is more service, more consumable products ect, ect.

I suppose a bar scabbard, an instruction manual and a scrench (pole saw had a torx/wrench as well) and orange handled little screwdriver. I would say that the guy will take a hit if you pull out a credit card. If you have cash that can make a difference. Isn't a 360 an obsolete model? Up to 362 now? Post 1 says new saw would I be wrong to assume the 360 mentioned in post 6 has been superseded by the 361, then the 362? If someone gives different prices to different people make your own mind up as to where that goes. The original poster doesn't have a part of the world plainly evident but I am virtually certain if such a thing exists around here it would be a special order and those may be somewhat different circumstances.

For saw purchases, you get the combo wrench, carb screwdriver and piston stop tool, except on the ms 170, you only get a combo wrench. They used to throw in the carb screwdriver but stopped in recent years. What's stupid is they don't even offer a t27 wrench(on consumer level models) for saws that need it to open the air filter cover, so I always throw one in.

I respect you for what you are saying and how you run your business. More businesses should follow your lead.

But......other businesses have the same mind-set as well. At the end of the day, talk doesn't pay the bills. Customers don't know your business principle, unless they have been a customer for a while and have experienced it.

If I'm looking at the same exact item at two or more different stores, what's going home with me that day is the item that was sold to me for the least amount of money.

Smiles, talk and principle can make a difference. 9 times out of 10, price makes the decision.

I knew about the wrench but not the piston stop maybe I can talk my dealer out of one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Australia you get a free kick in the nuts with every saw purchased at full retail regardless of whether it's a stihl or a husky. Stihl dealers will also use lube at no extra cost when fisting you in the ass if you ask them nicely. Lube is only available for repeat customers, so don't expect to get it as a first time buyer. Be sure and smile while he's giving it to you.

It depends what type of buyer you are...

As shown above, some are "me" buyers where the transactions are all about them. Cheapest price, most freebies and seeking how far the dealer will go to accommodate them to make the sale.

Then there are the "us" buyers. These people take the view that a symbiotic approach is best, the customer needs tools, parts and service and realizes the dealer needs to achieve a margin to continue to provide all. A relationship is built which has future benefits.

If you were a dealer, who would you want to deal with, a "me" or an "us"?

My new Dolmar came with the manual and simple tool kit including screw driver, scrench, bar groove cleaner, and t-27 wrench.
That's the 4th new purchase I've made from my dealer. I pay average retail price but he treats me well on extras and repairs when needed.

I see the peanut gallery is in session once again, trying to divide buyers into just two classes. It's just not that simple.

If it was that simple, well.......things would be a lot more simple. If ALL Stihl dealers were telling me the same thing, that margins are too tight to sell off of MSRP, I'd believe them. But we all know that's not true.

Maybe, just maybe a dedicated Stihl dealer's margin is tighter. If all he sells are OPE, parts, accessories, and does service work, maybe he has a point. There's nothing I can do about that.

But as long as hardware / box stores stores sell Stihl, that's where I'm going to do my business. Item for item, if one is less expensive, I'd be a fool to go elsewhere and pay more for it. Momma didn't raise no idiot.

I've never once had to return a piece of OPE to a dealer for repair. From what I've been hearing, there's no guarantee that they'll repair it right anyways and then charge you an arm and a leg to try.

When it comes to MY money, you can bet your ass it's all about ME. If I have an extra $50.00 in hand, I'd rather keep it in my hand, vs. handing it over to a dealer.

When it comes to making purchases (usually larger ones), I do my homework. I research what I'm looking for, educate myself on it, and price shop.

I don't make a habit of contributing to a dealer's retirement fund. It's his business, not mine. He's supposed to be the expert, and know what he can or can't do, in regards to staying in business.

Yo Guido.......how you bean? :D

So, I might be lucky to get a compatible bar and chain?

Philbert

Seems like we are drifting pretty far off track from the original post.

However, sometimes you might be so lucky as to get a (new) extra bar and chains as well as a case thrown in...

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/makita-dcs-520i-pictures-inside.244134/

MakitaDCS520i7_zps3c94d474.jpg

Some times you might get pieces/parts...

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/2-makita-dcp-7321-chop-saws-pic-inside.245665/

MakitaDCP7321_zpsfac8430f.jpg

Some times you do not even get all the parts...

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/sachs-dolmar-133.252922/

Dolmar1334_zps1b8237a1.jpg

In any event, I try to accurately describe what you are (or are not) receiving for your money.

Back