Should extras be included with new Stihl Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isipwater

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
If I was to purchase a new Stihl chainsaw from a dealer, is it customary to expect or ask for any extras, such as additional chain, extra bar, upgraded chain, oil, fuel, chain sharpener, case, etc...?

I'm sure some will tell differently, but my dealer gives me nothing but the bill, nothing extra and no discounts even though I've bought 5 saws, a trimmer and a blower in the last 2 years! That's ok with me cause all I want is the saw...

That's up to each individual dealer. You should not expect anything. We don't really have a set in stone policy, but we only throw in free stuff if you are spending a lot of money. Like if you bought a chainsaw and polesaw, or a chainsaw and all the accessories. If all you are getting is an MS170, no free stuff.

If I was to purchase a new Stihl chainsaw from a dealer, is it customary to expect or ask for any extras, such as additional chain, extra bar, upgraded chain, oil, fuel, chain sharpener, case, etc...?

It doesn't hurt to ask. A lot of dealers will thrown in some oil or maybe a couple of files..depending on how much money you're spending with them. Most dealers know right to the penny what their profit is on a saw and free extras cut into that.
Asking for a free bar might be a little too much.

That's up to each individual dealer. You should not expect anything. We don't really have a set in stone policy, but we only throw in free stuff if you are spending a lot of money. Like if you bought a chainsaw and polesaw, or a chainsaw and all the accessories. If all you are getting is an MS170, no free stuff.
what about if I buy a ms360?

Like already said, asking for a extra bar and chain is a little much IMO. Last bar and chain I bought was about $80. Maybe if you are going to pay retail for the saw you might have ground to ask but I wont pay retail and I do expect the saw to come with a bar and chain on it already. When I bought my J'red I asked him what his list price was, what the best price he could do it for, then I made an offer under his best price. He thought for a second and said ok. 5 minutes and I had a new saw ready to cut at a price that I felt was fair, both parties were happy. I wouldn't expect him to toss any more goodies in on that kind of a deal but, if you hear a clang when you walk then you might be able to get away with it. Ok, maybe I should have asked for a hat but I never thought of it at the time...

my dealer had a used 036 in like new condition.$350. asked for his best deal. he said it was customer appreciation week and 10% of any purchase.$331 w/tax out the door.i love that saw. matter of fact i'm gonna go saw with it right now. never hurts to ask but don't ask for the moon.

Local STIHL dealer used to have a standard offer with a case, extra chain, gallon of bar and chain oil, and a 6 pack of 2-cycle mix for something like $50 when you bought a saw. Might have been slightly different, but was was basically offering a discount on accessories.

Here is the question I always had: are they supposed to give you the little orange screw driver when you buy a STIHL? I have heard it both ways.

Philbert

Expect a scrench, small screwdriver, and a manual.

Anything other than that is up to the dealer. Pretty sure Stihl is still offering the double your warranty promo if you by a six pack of mix or MotoMix. As to a free case Stihl usually offers that promo in the fall on select models only, and I'm pretty sure that too is a dealer participation program.

One thing I've noticed lately at both the Stihl and Husky dealers I frequent, any promos are typically not freebies but more along the lines of a steep discount on a select accessory (or accessories), if purchased at the same time as the saw.

The other thing I would say, if you're a regular loyal customer the chance of a sweetened deal is enhanced. I wouldn't suggest beating the dealer up for a discount on a saw and then expect him to start discounting chains etc. The two dealers I frequent, (actually I think they may qualify as a dependents on my income tax), often will offer a discount for a cash transaction instead of a credit card.

In terms of used saws both dealers, one Stihl, the other Husky, Dolmar, and J'red, sell them with a serviceable bar and a new chain.

Every situation is probably a bit different but that has been my experience.

Take Care

Local STIHL dealer used to have a standard offer with a case, extra chain, gallon of bar and chain oil, and a 6 pack of 2-cycle mix for something like $50 when you bought a saw. Might have been slightly different, but was was basically offering a discount on accessories.

Here is the question I always had: are they supposed to give you the little orange screw driver when you buy a STIHL? I have heard it both ways.

Philbert

That little orange screw driver came as part of an owner's kit. I always get a scrench and the screw driver in question.

Another variable is what kind of deals the dealer's distributor provides. We always have a deal that if you buy a saw and case, you get a free chain. The chain freebie is done by our distributor, so we aren't losing any money. Sometimes the distributor and Stihl offer deals where the dealer gets a free case with a saw. Sometimes these deals are advertised to the public (like with the MS180C) and sometimes they aren't advertised, so its up to the dealer to decide whether or not to pass the savings on to the customer.

I asked about the screwdrivers because I have heard that some dealers are afraid to give them to people buying saws, assuming that they will screw them up if they start messing with the carb adjustments.

Do Huskys come with screwdrivers?

Philbert

Back