Should I add crank stuffers to my ported 2159?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK jonsered

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Looking for opinions on crank stuffers on a jonsered 2159/359. I am running a ported Hyway p&c kit with a popup. Compression is 230. Porting is mostly cleanup work with a widened exhaust and intake. Lower transfers were cleaned up and uppers are still stock. Exhaust raised and intake lowered a very very small amount. Dual port non cat muffler. Working on dialing in a walbro 199a to see if it is better than the current zama. I am curious if crank stuffers are worth installing at this point or should I call the experiment finished? It is so hard to stop.... Loving this saw....

Thanks
Josh

Anyone tried a ported 357xp with and without stuffers for Comparison? How about walbro (fixed) vs zama?

Thanks for the replies! So the stuffers don't make the saw too peaky? The newer Husqvarna saws seem to be getting stuffers so they must work well.

The Walbro carb seems to hold RPM in the cut better. The acceleration is fairly similar to the zama in reaching WOT but the torque down low is reduced a little. Anyone know if the Walbro is a little bigger? Kind of acts like it. At least the high speed screw isn't turned out 6 turns on the walbro. Better fix the zama if I ever put it back on. It also seems the Walbro likes idling faster than the Zama.

I don't find the stuffers to make the saw more peaky, but does make more power at higher rpm. I'm using oem 357 top-ends, so don't have any experience with am kits. The Walbro supply's more fuel, but the Zama can be fixed.

Sweet, I might have to try the stuffers then. First hand experience is great, thank you sunfish! Are your saws stock or ported?

Have you tried the walbro vs zama carbs? Funny that both need modified to work with a ported saw. The more I tinker on the walbro the more I am liking it...

Have you tried the walbro vs zama carbs? Funny that both need modified to work with a ported saw. The more I tinker on the walbro the more I am liking it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use both and like the walbro better, it needs modifying only to run right, not for a ported saw. The Zama just doesn't flow enough fuel for ported saws, but it's a quick fix.

I've tested the HyWay with and without stuffers. On a stock porting HyWay 359 cylinder the stuffers were a little faster but the saw was more sensitive to load (peaky), but not too much that it hurt it's usability. On a heavily ported cylinder the stuffers were a little slower and much more sensitive to load.

So the HyWay kit likes the extra case volume? Interesting.... It sure cuts good like it is, but the curiosity was getting to me. There are so many variables... I had a 8 pin rim with 3/8 chain on it which is an amazing setup with square ground chisel. When I lowered the rakers, I lost the advantage and went back to a 7 pin rim.

I think I saw a couple conversations and maybe a couple movies srcarr52 did on the HyWay kit which is why I ended up with it. So far, very happy with it. Are you running the zama or walbro, srcarr52? Did you end up porting the 2159 more after the last video?

If it is a long winter I might have to try the stuffers for my own curiosity...

Sent from way up north using dog sled

I thought the port numbers were all very similar on the 359 vs 357xp vs hyway...

Sent from way up north using dog sled

I'm running a HDC carb that is a little modified.

Stuffers and stock hyway cylinder is s good setup. Once ported you'll get a fatter torque curve without the stuffers. For a race saw, I'd try to make the stuffers work.

I noted on a previous thread that Husky p&c kits have suddenly got much cheaper. How much advantage would there be changing a stock 359 top end for a new genuine 357xp top end? Is it a worthwhile thing to do? I've never seen or run a 357 do am interested in the difference. I think the rest of the saw is identical??

I have a 359 that Randy cut the base and squish band and I ported with raised transfers and exhaust, opened up the lowers and a little work on the intake, it came with the Zama but I changed it out to a 191, very happy with the results, very torquie. My 357 I did a base gasket delete, widened and polished the exhaust and opened the lowers, I did not touch timing. I also replaced the Zama with a 191, not as much torque as the 359 but a little more zippy.

I noted on a previous thread that Husky p&c kits have suddenly got much cheaper. How much advantage would there be changing a stock 359 top end for a new genuine 357xp top end? Is it a worthwhile thing to do? I've never seen or run a 357 do am interested in the difference. I think the rest of the saw is identical??
I wouldn't replace a good 359 P&C with 357 P&C. The 357 top end needs the crank stuffers and your saw wont have them.

Delete base gasket and open up the muffler would be worth the trouble. Or have it ported.

Does anyone know more about Ed Heard's 357 w/no stuffers project. His purpose was that it was closer to the 1:1.2 crankcase ratio without them which when ported should be a stout saw. I'm reaching dead ends about that project.

Latest posts

Back