Should I buy a new Stihl MS361 for my father-in-law?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcdjohnson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My father-in-law installed an outdoor wood furnace last year, and he is cutting his own firewood. I also cut my own firewood, so I understand the work involved. The thing is, he is using an old (1970’s??) Stihl 041 Farm boss, and doesn’t really have the money to buy a new saw. I have used the 041 a couple of times, and while I’m sure it was a good saw in its day, it just seems slow, heavy, and bulky. Of course I have a fairly new MS460 with a 20” bar for myself & that thing is an animal. So, my questions is, would a new MS361 be a big improvement over the old 041? My father-in-law is 65 years old, so I was thinking a lighter, faster cutting saw with less vibes would be nice for his “aging” body. However, I have never used a 361, so I don’t whether the difference would be big, or just marginal. So, if anyone out there has run both of these saws, can you please let me know the comparison between the two? If he would be much better off with the 361, I will buy him one, but I’m not going to spend the money if there’s not much of a difference. Thanks!

PS. I also thought about buying myself a new MS660 & giving him my MS460:)

Buy yourself an MS361 and loan it to him when ever he is going to be cutting firewood. Better yet, bring both saws and help him cut his season's supply.

How much do you like him? If you don't like him buy him a MS170, if he is great buy him a 361.

As Hugenpoet suggested, cut the wood for him if you want to do him a favor. :cheers:

It sounds as though you really like your FIL. If he's active & healthy, cutting his own firewood might be one of the reasons. Get him the 361.

I say go for it. A new 361 will cut circles around his old Farm Boss and weigh quite a bit less. Probably the ultimate firewood saw sold today, and I don't even like Stihls.

I know my FIL would take a new 361 from me in a second, but don't hold your breath Andy:laugh:

Of course, you could always send me a few bucks and have a bikesaw buit for him. My FIL loves his KX250, and he makes quite a bit of firewood with it, don't even have to split it.
SouthForkCO07138.jpg

Romeo

I am coming your way next month, and if all goes well, I would love to meet you and see some of thos saws you are running. P.S. I'll buy the Beer.

Bob

NO, you shouldn't but you can buy me one :biggrinbounce2:

I'll PM you my address :cheers:

361, Probably the ultimate firewood saw sold today, and I don't even like Stihls.

Now wait a minute my 5100 is one hell of a firewood saw too! :greenchainsaw:

I say go for it. A new 361 will cut circles around his old Farm Boss and weigh quite a bit less. Probably the ultimate firewood saw sold today, and I don't even like Stihls.

I know my FIL would take a new 361 from me in a second, but don't hold your breath Andy:laugh:

+1.

:cheers:

Wow, you are a good son-in-law.
If you get along with the guy (and it sounds like you do), I would go and cut with him and help him out as others have suggested.
My wife's father died before I met her, and my father died a year ago.
Sure wish I could tip back some beer with some good old timers after a good day of cutting wood!!!

Yes, I obviously get along very well with my father-in -law, and I do help him cut firewood, we actually cut together quite a bit. However, he's retired, so he likes to cut wood on his own a lot also (while I'm stuck in the office all day). I'm happy to buy a new saw for him, just wanted to make sure that the 361 would be a big improvement over the 041 in order to justify the purchase. And, yes, I also expected to see cooments about all the other saws; Husky, Dolmar, etc. that I should consider, but I'm only interested in the 361 vs. the old 041, and how much better it would, or wouldn't be. Thanks!!

Yes, I obviously get along very well with my father-in -law, and I do help him cut firewood, we actually cut together quite a bit. However, he's retired, so he likes to cut wood on his own a lot also (while I'm stuck in the office all day). I'm happy to buy a new saw for him, just wanted to make sure that the 361 would be a big improvement over the 041 in order to justify the purchase. And, yes, I also expected to see cooments about all the other saws; Husky, Dolmar, etc. that I should consider, but I'm only interested in the 361 vs. the old 041, and how much better it would, or wouldn't be. Thanks!!

Do it. He will be happy and you will score BIG points.

Wow, you are a good son-in-law.
If you get along with the guy (and it sounds like you do), I would go and cut with him and help him out as others have suggested.
My wife's father died before I met her, and my father died a year ago.
Sure wish I could tip back some beer with some good old timers after a good day of cutting wood!!!

I'm glad my son agrees with your thinking. We have a good time with a couple of saws, an axe, the tractor and then after the saws are cleaned, a few cold beers. Even bring in a fair amount of firewood in the process.

He tells me he and his son (only three now so it won't be for awhile) will make sure I have firewood when I'm a dottering ancient.

I am coming your way next month, and if all goes well, I would love to meet you and see some of thos saws you are running. P.S. I'll buy the Beer.

Bob

Let me know if, where, and when you are around, we got a nice collection of super fast saws to play with here. You can take some cuts with which ever ones your brave enough to run.

Isn't this thread to the point where someone mentions other options beside Stihl?:givebeer:

OK, I'll do it. A Dolmar PS5100s will stay right with a 361 in most firewood. It is a German-engineered saw and you can buy them for 30-40% less than the 361.

I'll say it again. If this saw was orange and white and had a Stihl sticker, it would be the Stihl's best-selling firewood saw...period.

Buy your FIL the 361 and he'll be happy and have a great saw. Also cut with him as much as you can and put some deposits in the old memory bank. And when the time comes for him to pass on maybe you will inherit it and have all the memories to look back on every time you use it. Good luck.:cheers:

Why don't you take your Father in law to the local Stihl dealer and let him see what's available. You wouldn't have to let on that you are about to buy him one if you don't want to. Let him see for himself if it "fits" him. Sometimes when you get used to something, it's hard to change suddenly and ( I can't believe I'm about to say this, I hope it doesn't get me banned)
he might not LIKE the 361.
Mike

NO, you shouldn't but you can buy me one :biggrinbounce2:

I'll PM you my address :cheers:

Now wait a minute my 5100 is one hell of a firewood saw too! :greenchainsaw:

Makes me wish I had a daughter so My son in law could buy me a 361.

Yes you should, to answer your question.

He will love you forever, and if you and his daughter split up, you can live with him and he'll put her out on the street.

(Kidding I wouldn't wish that on any body)

Back