Should I buy a new Stihl MS361 for my father-in-law?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I'd rather have a good running 041 than a 361. Waaaayyyyyyyy more grunt. Get his 041 tuned up and stick a carb kit in it.

I've got a good bit of trigger time with a 361 and am just not impressed. Doesn't pull a 20" bar in hardwood with authority. It's too heavy and expensive to be a dedicated limbing saw for me. Plus it's way short on power to be a big saw.

Should I buy a new Stihl MS361 for my father-in-law?
Yes

+1

If he's stihl swinging an 041, he'd love the 361. I have nothing but praise for mine. Oh, if he misses the loud noises of the 41, offer to mod the muffler and he'll be even happier.

PS: Don't you use it or you're gonna want one for yourself!! ROFL-MAO !!

:clap:

Gulp.

Genuflecting...

It cannot be!

The 361 is a religious icon! (bow bow bow).

Get him the 361 and do not worry about it.

Last edited:
I gave my brother a 361 to replace his worn out 041av, and he loves it.

Of course the 041 had to have a ratchet strap around it to keep the body together, so maybe he just likes a saw that stays in one piece.

Now I'm thinking about goverment rebate to buy me a new 361.

OK, I'll do it. A Dolmar PS5100s will stay right with a 361 in most firewood. It is a German-engineered saw and you can buy them for 30-40% less than the 361. .....

:greenchainsaw: In most small firewood, yes - unless you put an 8-pin on the 361 (I do when most of the wood is small).

Since he is fairly happy running the old 041, why not get him a lighter option and go for the MS260. Put an 18" bar on it he'll have a lighter saw than the 361 and he can still have the 041 for the big stuff.

I gave my brother a 361 to replace his worn out 041av, and he loves it.

Of course the 041 had to have a ratchet strap around it to keep the body together, so maybe he just likes a saw that stays in one piece.

Now I'm thinking about goverment rebate to buy me a new 361.

Want to adopt another brother?'

Mark

The 361 is a religious icon! (bow bow bow).

LoL!
some peeps have a 361 on their alter, others can see it for the false prophet that it really is.

:censored:

attachment.php

I talked with the FIL, he did not want me to buy him a new saw. I went and bought a new 361 anyhow. I'll let him use it anytime he wants. It sure makes a nice addition to my 460 & 180:)

Back