Should I buy this crankcase tool? Now with 028 pics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
Depends on the value of your time.I could have copied that tool,but right now my time is worth more than it cost me to build it.Plus it works so well that it will save me time when I'm working on saws.
I even had a splitter i built,which worked OK.It was a different design.I will grab the new one now.The other has it's place,someday someone will want to borrow a case splitter...old one to the rescue.
Thomas

I split several cases with a c clamp cut in half so it would slip down into the case a little ways and push on the crank. The actual husky tool works great on 460 and 660s and 288s.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
Depends on the value of your time.I could have copied that tool,but right now my time is worth more than it cost me to build it.Plus it works so well that it will save me time when I'm working on saws.
I even had a splitter i built,which worked OK.It was a different design.I will grab the new one now.The other has it's place,someday someone will want to borrow a case splitter...old one to the rescue.
Thomas

I split several cases with a c clamp cut in half so it would slip down into the case a little ways and push on the crank. The actual husky tool works great on 460 and 660s and 288s.

Tyler259

Tyler259

ArboristSite Member
Dang, that other poster said it didn't fit his 026 or 260 though which are basically the same size as and 028.

Idk what I'm going to do just yet. This is just a winter project anyway.

But I'd appreciate the Stihl part number if any of you guys know it.

Thanks for all the input!

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
There are two tools that I know of, the ZS tool and the AS tool. I have the ZS which is the one with the two steel discs and the part no. is 5910 007 2200. It splits and pulls back together most models. The AS I'm not so sure on as it is only shown as used on a few engine types; 1121, 1124, 4205 part no. for that one is 5910 890 2205. I've admittedly only used mine on a few different models (mostly used it on TS400 concrete saws), but I've never found it lacking. According to my 2011 book the ZS is used on the following engine types: 1118, 1122, 1124, 1125, 1128, 1135, 1140, 4128, 4134, 4137, 4138, 4146, 4147, 4223, 4224, 4238.

Nice to have the right tool for the job, I doubt mine has ever paid me back just yet, but I'm just a hobby fixer. Price if I recall and can do the exchange right would be roughly $170 American. Seems to have gone up in price quite a bit since I bought mine a couple years ago.

Before I had this I made a splitter with a piece of angle iron drilled out to suit the bar studs with another hole to take the end of the crank and a universal puller to push cranks out. This worked fine for splitting as I remember. Still have it somewhere.

Last edited:
Tyler259

Tyler259

ArboristSite Member
Just curious, why do you need to split the case on the 028S?

I took the saw apart and it's very difficult to move the crankshaft rod.

I thought it was ran with straight gas or maybe underwater...

Either way I'm more into this because I want to learn, don't really have a guru lol around to help me. Although I wish I did.

Tyler259

Tyler259

ArboristSite Member
Would those symptoms I mentioned above = bad bearings?

When I got the saw the piston was pretty much stuck in the cylinder, I got the cylinder off with some effort.

It's still difficult to move the piston at all with your hand. Just back and forth. It doesn't have a good range of motion.

jughead500

jughead500

Sasquatch
Dang, that other poster said it didn't fit his 026 or 260 though which are basically the same size as and 028.

Idk what I'm going to do just yet. This is just a winter project anyway.

But I'd appreciate the Stihl part number if any of you guys know it.

Thanks for all the input!
Yeap dont fit.I took my ms260 apart with a hard plastic mallet.

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Would those symptoms I mentioned above = bad bearings?

When I got the saw the piston was pretty much stuck in the cylinder, I got the cylinder off with some effort.

It's still difficult to move the piston at all with your hand. Just back and forth. It doesn't have a good range of motion.
Can you rotate the crankshaft? If you are saying this is difficult to do, then your bearings are bad, time to split that case.

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Has the saw had water in it? Bad bearings are usually just worn out with too much play in them (if you can hold the end of the crankshaft and move it about axially); stiff sounds like rusty, sounds like wet. Either way, new bearings sounds like the solution.

Tyler259

Tyler259

ArboristSite Member
se12ty.jpg

2vi5qvd.jpg

Why do you guys think the base is so crusty etc? water damage?

angelo c
Ill tell ya what. If some one can tell us why the husky tool does NOT work for the 028 case and you buy the piston kit from randy " weedeaterman" ill give you a 028 crank to replace yours. That thing looks like a pile of Problems.

I know the husky tool will work on 066's if you spread the fingers to reach around the crank weights. is it the same reason to NOT buy the husky tool ?

I havent split a 028 yet but i have a few cases sitting in the pile.

Latest posts