Specialty Tools Needed - Stihl 028, 038, 070/090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes a tool like that ring compressor is necessary at first and likely created with that in mind. More you do anything it is more like breathing. The design is more thoughtful, knife like edges. I find the tools fascinating many have only one purpose like that ring compressor.

Built in is sweet

Flywheel pullers:
I have a few for motorcycle flywheels but they are bigger threads.
If the wheel does not pop easily with VERY light brass hammer persuasion, I use a puller. Too much potential for damage to motorcycle wheel or crank.

On a recommendation from here, I bought a double ended puller designed for mopeds. It was on a scooter or moped site, and cost under $10 shipped to my door. Works great on 026 for sure, and a couple other Stihls I don't recall models.

M22x1.5 RH thread, and M26x1.5 RH thread. Storage is an old pill bottle to protect threads in trailer toolbox life.

Edit: Amazon has 50+ listings for the GY6 scooter engines, but they are M24 and M27 LH threads. I don't know where I got mine, Try Google I guess.

U shaped/slotted piece of 1/2 thick plastic to support piston on case when putting cylinder on.

Ring compressor set plastic from Baileys is nice for under $10, but mostly I use fingers/fingernails to compress and rock into place.

Attachments

• IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 15
Ebay has had some nice flywheel pullers for Stihl older flywheels which are threaded in center. Be sure you buy the one that is bigger on one end than the other so you can use it on different Stihls...I kinda found out the hard way..

I like strong women and not sure there is any better place to find one. :) so no you are not in a bad place just different. In my area stihl stores are very often found in Ace hardware stores. Something tells me you have different stores.

I just stopped and asked Google and I can't read anything but English but Yelp had a listing for one. So I guess companies are more global than I thought

Don't get me started on the women here! I have 6 women working for me in my office. Three of them are just drop dead gorgeous. And I travel a lot for work, too. So far, Slovenia and Serbia are tops for beautiful women. Headed to Poland next week for the first time; curious about the "scenery" there...

I did an initial search for Stihl dealers here, but no luck. I'm ok with buying most stuff online, frankly. That's what I do for car stuff, even for my 1972 Alfa Romeo GTV -- I get a lot of parts from the states, believe it or not.

Not sure why you'd need it but it's good to know. I just use a screwdriver and a little patience..best one is the MS250, built into the cylinder, piston just slides in.

Yeah, I can see how this would work if you don't have a ring compressor. I have a few plastic prying tools that I use for interior work that might be useful here, too. Keep from scratching/gouging anything in case it slips.

Thanks

Sometimes a tool like that ring compressor is necessary at first and likely created with that in mind. More you do anything it is more like breathing. The design is more thoughtful, knife like edges. I find the tools fascinating many have only one purpose like that ring compressor.

Built in is sweet

I hear what you're saying. I've built numerous vintage American V-8's, so not my first rodeo with piston rings. I prefer the aluminum compressor that's just designed for a particular bore size, but it gets expensive buying one every time you do a rebuild on an engine with different sized bore. I also use the adjustable metal compressor that expands/contracts, but that can be a bit of a clusterf*ck.

Flywheel pullers:
I have a few for motorcycle flywheels but they are bigger threads.
If the wheel does not pop easily with VERY light brass hammer persuasion, I use a puller. Too much potential for damage to motorcycle wheel or crank.

On a recommendation from here, I bought a double ended puller designed for mopeds. It was on a scooter or moped site, and cost under $10 shipped to my door. Works great on 026 for sure, and a couple other Stihls I don't recall models.

M22x1.5 RH thread, and M26x1.5 RH thread. Storage is an old pill bottle to protect threads in trailer toolbox life.

Edit: Amazon has 50+ listings for the GY6 scooter engines, but they are M24 and M27 LH threads. I don't know where I got mine, Try Google I guess.

U shaped/slotted piece of 1/2 thick plastic to support piston on case when putting cylinder on.

Ring compressor set plastic from Baileys is nice for under $10, but mostly I use fingers/fingernails to compress and rock into place.

Thanks for posting the pic. I saw those on eBay. I'll pick one up.

I just buy them when they're needed. Some chainsaw tools you may never need, especially if you just work on newer saws..

Since I live in a foreign country and don't have a Stihl dealer nearby, I'm inclined to pick up tools that I might need, especially if they're inexpensive (this one was $10). Hate to have a job stop before it gets started and then have to wait for a few weeks for something to be shipped here.

Thanks

Need to see if my compression testers will work with my saws. I tried one yesterday in my Poulan 46 cc saw and it hit the piston. Will see if I can remove an adapter to get it to work. Otherwise, looks like the OTC is what a lot of folks here use.

Don't get me started on the women here! I have 6 women working for me in my office. Three of them are just drop dead gorgeous. And I travel a lot for work, too. So far, Slovenia and Serbia are tops for beautiful women. Headed to Poland next week for the first time; curious about the "scenery" there...

some guys just have all the luck! Find us a beautiful Poland women and have her hold a Stihl chainsaw and snap us a picture and share. The likes would go of the chart :)

I've been at it a few weeks, and have picked up the vast majority of what y'all recommended. A few other items that I use a lot -

Bahco ratcheting screwdriver with kung fu grip - - it's actually a pistol grip, and it makes taking out stubborn screws 100% easier because you can put some real torque on them.

Impact screwdriver - https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Hand-Impact-Tool/dp/B0002NYDRG - have to be gentle, but it's THE tool to use when you have screw heads that are stripping out.

And some REAL penetrating oil - Kroil - https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Aerokro...UTF8&qid=1487568481&sr=1-1&keywords=aerokroil - 100% better than WD40 and much better than PB Blaster.

And if you have an air compressor, you need a blow gun/air gun too - https://www.amazon.com/Astro-1717-G...e=UTF8&qid=1487569025&sr=1-7&keywords=air+gun - this will help you get 90% of the crud off the saw. Just be careful with getting dirt in the cylinder - plug the intake and exhaust port if you have the muffler or carburetor off.

Latest posts

Back