Stihl 070 gutless wonder with 36" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarongd

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, guys i picked up a stihl 070 and just got a chance to try it out today and what a huge disappointment. I swear a ms460 would out cut it all day long. I only had a 36" bar on it with hopes of putting on a bigger one. Tried noodling a 20" piece of wood and didnt go so well. Well after using today i may have to go to a 20" bar lol. Thinking of putting a 090 piston and cylinder on it. Thoughts?

Well, guys i picked up a stihl 070 and just got a chance to try it out today and what a huge disappointment. I swear a ms460 would out cut it all day long. I only had a 36" bar on it with hopes of putting on a bigger one. Tried noodling a 20" piece of wood and didnt go so well. Well after using today i may have to go to a 20" bar lol. Thinking of putting a 090 piston and cylinder on it. Thoughts?
These are a low RPM saw not high speed laser beams but they will pull a big old chain in a cut and are dependable. Tune it for the mix you are using and keep the chain sharp.

They're turds in stock form, factory choked them pretty bad for longevity. They wake up a ton from mods, here's a dyno result from my ported 090 @12hp. Come to think of it, damn thing can be pushed further. But doubt it'll hold up

Attachments

• received_432487998413189.jpeg
    received_432487998413189.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1
Is it a genuine 070 or chinese.
Is the governor disabled and tuned like one would any saw cleans up in the cut.
You can't get an aftermarket 090 clutch only oem dig deep if ya want one $$
Yeah they run like turd if tuned rich or even close to factory settings. Runs alot better when leaned up a little with governor disabled 😜

Yeah they run like turd if tuned rich or even close to factory settings. Runs alot better when leaned up a little with governor disabled 😜
Words can't describe how awful an 090/070 sounds and dismissal in performance they are with the governor functioning set to factory specs from the "manual" lol
1st thing the old timer cutters did with a new 090 was disable the governor and tune the saw then run em for a few thousand hrs then sum...

As noted by others the 070 is not a speed demon. I have zero doubt the 462 will outcut it with a short bar. Now try the same comparison using a 36" bar with .404 chain in 30 " wood. Use the same bar/chain on each saw in the same wood and then see how they compare.

When working properly, the governor keeps the saw at 8000 rpm in or out of wood. It does run like a turd but it will settle down into a steady 2stroke stuccato in wood at 8000 rpm. Have to have a little finesse when running like that to keep it loaded just right. When I tune to clean up in wood on the saw w/o the governor I think max rpm is around 11,500 rpm and that equates to 9500 rpm in the wood. Cuts like a mother for ya.

ok. How do i disable the governor?
No need to remove anything you can't remove the linkage will be nothing to hold the choke plate open when the saw is running it's a stupid design all the govenor does is pull the choke on.
just wind the spring up and clip it back in so it has enough tension that the flap doesn't move.
Then tune the saw like any saw if ya want it fat tune it fat.

Back