should I get a simington?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I
I'll tell you even after doing my test and only seeing the 8% advantage I STILL want that Simington square grinder. I was out yesterday (12-26-15) and ran three tanks of gas through my Husqvarna 562xpw using both the Stihl full skip square ground chisel and the Stihl full skip round ground chisel. That square ground was definitely smoother, faster and man the chips were way long compared to the round ground chain which puts out little square pieces.

Clint

I'm surprised the square ground cut ok in frozen wood. My experiences with it is that it tends to chatter and not bite in well.

I'm surprised the square ground cut ok in frozen wood. My experiences with it is that it tends to chatter and not bite in well.
What square grinder do you have or do you take them in? I know Silvey is one of the best ones out there but they are now out of business. I talked with Madsen's in WA last week and they told me they bought all of the remaining Silvey parts supply but I bet in a few years those parts will be all gone. The Simington is still in production so hopefully they will be around for a few more decades especially since they are currently the only square grinder being made right now.

Simington, though I've never used it, just have tried out a few loops of square that I found.

What square grinder do you have or do you take them in? I know Silvey is one of the best ones out there but they are now out of business. I talked with Madsen's in WA last week and they told me they bought all of the remaining Silvey parts supply but I bet in a few years those parts will be all gone. The Simington is still in production so hopefully they will be around for a few more decades especially since they are currently the only square grinder being made right now.
One thing that did it for Silvey is they retired and out here in the PNW the call for fallers is going way down so less call for grinders. They have a huge stock of parts last time I was in the shop, plus they have found all the fixes for all the grinders silvey made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Simington, though I've never used it, just have tried out a few loops of square that I found.

One thing that did it for Silvey is they retired and out here in the PNW the call for fallers is going way down so less call for grinders. They have a huge stock of parts last time I was in the shop, plus they have found all the fixes for all the grinders silvey made.

When I talked with Madsen's a week ago they told me that the guy that started Silvey grinders died in his sleep just recently and the company was done at that point even though the writing was on the wall for the last several years. I just can not believe that one of his kids or employees did not keep the company going. What a shame because it is such a good American company that produced an amazing product. But like so many other American companies (Craftsman tools, etc. etc. etc.) they go under. The silver lining is maybe this will push everyone to Simington (another great American company making a sturdy well built product) which will make them stay around for a long time.

Another issue is that in reality how many square grinders do guys buy. Not very many, so the market gets saturated and then no one really buys any. The good news for Simington is they are the only company making them in the United States right now.

When I talked with Madsen's a week ago they told me that the guy that started Silvey grinders died in his sleep just recently and the company was done at that point even though the writing was on the wall for the last several years. I just can not believe that one of his kids or employees did not keep the company going. What a shame because it is such a good American company that produced an amazing product. But like so many other American companies (Craftsman tools, etc. etc. etc.) they go under. The silver lining is maybe this will push everyone to Simington (another great American company making a sturdy well built product) which will make them stay around for a long time.

Another issue is that in reality how many square grinders do guys buy. Not very many, so the market gets saturated and then no one really buys any. The good news for Simington is they are the only company making them in the United States right now.
I was down there two years back a week before he retired and closed the shop up, he fixed my pro sharp and his employee that was there was in his mid 70's as well. One thing I know about being around any swing arm style grinder they aren't built very well and always a little off which drives me nuts well I'm falling timber if I'm missing my faces all the time or I'm fighting to line up my cuts. I've used both and will never own a Simington after having my pro sharp I don't feel it's true enough.

Back