should I mod it????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madman39

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently bought a new stihl 390 to cut fire wood. My deal told me it what I need for the type of work I was doing. I payed, I think, about 580$ for it! I was very happy with it and liked the power! I have never modded a saw before, should I go a head a get the muffler modded so I can get the true power and performance out of the saw? And should I by a new modded muffler and keep my old one in case I resale it? Who makes the best modded muffler and will I need to make big time carb modds also? please help!!! Thanks, Tim N.

You need nothing more than a drill an 8mm socket and maybe a file and a dry wall screw to pull the limiter cap.

Pull the front cover off the muffler, pull the muffler, drill a couple holes 3/8 to maybe 7/16 in the depressed area under the defflector. Wash out the metal chips. Cut back the opening of the deflector a little with file or grinder.

Screw the drywall screw into the limiter caps and pull them out of the carb, richen the needles a good half turn counter clock wise and then lean it down a bit at a time until its right.

Not much more to it than that, just search the forum if you need more details on tuning or pulling the limiters ect.

stihl 390 muffler mod

Timberwolf, Do I need to worry about a limited ignition module on my 390. I ordered a used muffler off ebay for 30$. I wanted to keep a stock one handy. I will be modding it soon! Thanks for your advise!!!! :) Tim N.

Timberwolf, Do I need to worry about a limited ignition module on my 390. I ordered a used muffler off ebay for 30$. I wanted to keep a stock one handy. I will be modding it soon! Thanks for your advise!!!! :) Tim N.

The ignition is not limited on that saw. You will not ever want a stock muffler on there once you run it modded. Just make SURE you remove the limiter caps and re-tune, as TW has said. Otherwise, you get to buy a new top end.

Mod it.....

thats all I have to say....

I just went and pulled out the little red caps protecting the tuning screws! I used a 3" drywall screw, it worked like a charm! I cant wait to mod it!:chainsawguy:

Back