should i or shouldn't i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I have an almost new solo 603 and is a real torque monster,, it has had maybe 7 tanks run through it,,, still looks new,,,question is should I sell it to buy a 395xp,,,, I have been wanting 1 for a long time but I didn't want to put up the 1200 bucks for it,, or would I even get enough out of the 603 to make it worth wild,,,, I know the 603 is only 8 cc's bigger but I just really like the 395's,,, any input is appreciated

It sounds like you have the itch for a different saw so unless you scratch it by getting a 395 its going to get worse until you do.

Although don't you have a zillion CAD scores you can sell off and then keep the Solo and have the 395?

Resale value on the 603 is only going to be around 1/2 to 2/3 of what a comparable condition 395 would be. I'd hang onto the Solo and wait for a good deal on a used 395, or find someone that will trade you a nice 395 for your Solo.

I would look at it like this. 603 parts down the road let alone even now are hard to find. 395 parts down the road for rebuild will still be there. JMO

you are right jj,,, I can find some parts for it but that's it,,,, even thought the air filter still looks new it might be real hard to find one down the road

Resale value on the 603 is only going to be around 1/2 to 2/3 of what a comparable condition 395 would be. I'd hang onto the Solo and wait for a good deal on a used 395, or find someone that will trade you a nice 395 for your Solo.

that's exactly what I was thinking that the solo resale isn't that much,,,, here is after I did the mods,,,,, this is just for reference guys,,, I am not trying to sell it,,, well not now,,,, maybe this will help in the decision on what to do,,, it is a 36" b/c

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jC5LRoLm_X8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well I was considering something like you are too. I wanted a BP655 but think a ported 395 or 661would be a lot more practical than a collector saw. Since I tend to use my saws, I'm in the process of getting rid of the hard to find parts saws I have. The only older ones I'm gonna keep are the 090G's and the Mac 125's, 101' s, and 800's. I can get and stock parts for these.

I think a used 395 will pop up on here before long. They seem to come up from time to time. This weekend you might be able to have one in your hands and trade at wiggs. There should be plenty of them there for the build off.

I got my 395 with a roasted top end for $40 from one of my dads friends. doesn't end there though. it came with a brand new in the box oem top end kit which I installed in the my dads friends shop while drinking beers before I even took it home. she still purs like a kitten years later. model year 2007 but she looks like she could have had 20 years of hard abuse on her. a deal will come your way scott. i'm sure you could sell that solo for enough to get a decent used 395. I was lucky enough for one to come my way before I even knew I wanted one. 395's on right and this is a good pic of her. the light and pic quality hides all the deep dings and scratches. she is a face only a mother could love. 394 close enough for you scott? I got another one lined up here. will know within a week what's going on. guy owes me money and has no other way to pay me but he is trying to find another way. I start taking fingers next week if I don't see any dough by then.

attachment.php

The question to ask yourself is whether or not you are going to regret selling your saw a week or a year after its gone? The 395 is pretty common, wait for the "you suck" deal on that and then sell the one you would miss the least.

I have sold a couple saws that I regretted. They of course can be replaced but I think sometimes it wasn't the best move to part with them.

The question to ask yourself is whether or not you are going to regret selling your saw a week or a year after its gone? The 395 is pretty common, wait for the "you suck" deal on that and then sell the one you would miss the least.

I have sold a couple saws that I regretted. They of course can be replaced but I think sometimes it wasn't the best move to part with them.

yep,,, I have sold a few myself that I kicked myself in the azz for

Last year my local dealer had a new 395 with 24" marked to sale under 800.

The one was new, the other he actually sold and was used but still looked new. I didn't remember either one being less than $900 (or whatever his cost was) or I would have grabbed one. I thought it was right at 9 bills or something, but even at 1G it was cheaper than anywhere else advertised.

Just start a dedicated fund. Separate from your other saw money. Acquire, fix and flip enough small saws, you can eventually get the 395.

Conversely, do it with firewood. Sell enough cords, get new big saw.

that's exactly what I was thinking that the solo resale isn't that much,,,, here is after I did the mods,,,,, this is just for reference guys,,, I am not trying to sell it,,, well not now,,,, maybe this will help in the decision on what to do,,, it is a 36" b/c

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jC5LRoLm_X8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Nice saw, but please put some pants on. those honky legs be blindin folks.:D

Back