Should I report this "incident" to the farmer or let it ride?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you should re kindle your association with your friend at the County. Also, hasnt the first frost already been through there? If so, there shouldnt be much left of any bean plants. They would have been harvested already.

Frost doesn't make a difference. We had corn/beans still standing this past February-April because last fall was so wet that the farmers couldn't get in the fields until this spring.

I would definately tell him. Even if he makes you pay for the beans that you did knock down you won't be out much. Better than letting go without saying anything IMO.

Unless you are doing donuts out in the middle of the field, you haven't done much damage. Take the advice given here by others, go tell the farmer what happened. He shouldn't be upset over that, plus, you need to get to the farmer first, before the other guy has a chance to. He might even "change" the facts up for his benefit.

Thanks all for the replies-I'm in the process of tracking him down and calling him and telling him what happened, which is the right thing to do even if it is minimal damage-I still know that it happened. When the guy that was going to cut it up started talking to me he was understandably a little upset, but as I explained that I'm not just a nut (well, that's debatable!) that just "helps himself" to any downed trees he sees anywhere he eased-up and even said "it's not too bad; it's on the edge where it's sparse, not like if you went into the middle of the field". But I know that it was there and I'm pretty certain that if the farmer hears it was an innocent mistake he'll be okay, but I'm prepared to take care of any damage if needed.

Thanks guys-I can always count on you guys for advice and information! I guess I learned a lesson on soybeans lol....

He's done washed away my sins!!!!

Well I am happy (and relieved) to report that I spoke to the farmer this morning and explained the whole thing and he said "we're harvesting beans right now-I wouldn't think that you did much damage...I appreciate you telling me what happened". He did not know my contact with the County, and said "I gave a young fella permission to cut that tree up because we didn't have the time to do it". I know that it seems hard to imagine that I didn't know that they were soybeans-but it all just looked like the dead remains of something that was harvested awhile ago to me. Anyway, it's off my chest and mind, he knows about it and let it slide, and I learned what soybeans look like;)

"An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind".....

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT AND REPLIES!!!:bowdown:

Look the guy up, and stop in with an apology.

Most times, it's not an insult untill somebody assumes it isn't.

You have been cutting wood without meeting the guy, and I'm sure he'd like to put a face to "That guy".

Showing that you're straight up might even get ya a "Hey, ya know I have this fencerow choked with Locust that needs thinning..".

Not doing anything, will likely get ya run off for good after hearing the other guys story.;)

Good luck to ya!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

There ya go!......

:clap: Good for you. Glad it all went good.

Thanks-me too. I was sweating it out, but the more I thought about it the guy that came up to me was laying it on a little heavy in the beginning which scared me a bit-again, I ain't a farmer so I didn't know if I was up the creek or not. But then I realized that he was just cranked-up because he thought that I was just some jerk taking his lumber; I was only going to cut some smaller stuff and maybe come back another time or two and tackle the bigger trunk to be honest, but as we got to talking I think that he realized that I was shooting straight. Funny thing is, I called the County this morning and my contact doesn't work there anymore, and the woman that I spoke to said "he shouldn't have said you can cut years ago because of liability" so I guess that my days of cutting down there are done :cry:, unless something falls on the farmer's field (and it will), and since I was upfront with him he knows who I am and I know that I can ask him for future scores. It all worked out, and I even left a message with one of the guy's relatives that approached me (I know his last name but not first) and told him that I talked to the farmer so he can do his thing without worry.

Thanks again, all! :clap: :)

Wait till you have to talk to some farmer you just dropped a chemical bomb on his beans it is a littler harder. Glad it worked out.

Just a little info about the crop insurance- vandalism is covered under Hail Insurance, but the insured has to file a police report to prove that it was an unknown person- and then there has to be at least $ 50 minimum damage before the farmer could collect any payment. This covers sending someone out to assess the damage. Its always best to just fess up and be honest. You did the right thing !

Sounds like your going to do the right thing.

Not knowing what soybeans look like.... can't imagine.

having beans in the field Oct 15th.... can't imagine.

There is still a lot of beans and corn to harvest here in OH...corn often times goes well into Nov until its all off. There are some BIG farmers here that it simply takes several months to harvest all their beans and corn. Though most are done with beans now but the last field close to my house was just ran on Sunday.

There is still a lot of beans and corn to harvest here in OH...corn often times goes well into Nov until its all off. There are some BIG farmers here that it simply takes several months to harvest all their beans and corn. Though most are done with beans now but the last field close to my house was just ran on Sunday.

Yep.
Get a wet fall and it ain't uncommon to haul beans in March.

Same thing with Corn. If prices are down, it stays in the field untill it's dry, and in wet years, that could be December if there's not too much snow.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yep.
Get a wet fall and it ain't uncommon to haul beans in March.

Same thing with Corn. If prices are down, it stays in the field untill it's dry, and in wet years, that could be December if there's not too much snow.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yep! Good Point.. Just started taking out the beans by us. This is the first year the farmers could get to the beans this early. Other years there would be snow on the ground. A lot has to do with the beans being dry (more than the soil) so they don't have to pay the extra cost of drying them after picking.

Back