Should I take them down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodjack

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Three giant pines next to my house. One tree, in particular, is a real monster. Unfortunately, it sapping all over my new metal roof. They look strong, but if any of them fall on my house, it's all over for whoever's inside, and I'll need a new house
What stops me is that these trees must be at least a hundred years old, and they're beautiful.
What would you guys do?

Cut it down! What pine? We are cursed with the ponderosa and lodgepoles here. I think they are ugly, and they are the lowest of the lowest here but yet so darned abundant.

After that, plant yourself some maples or firs!

Timber!

Here is an idea, How about dropping the trees for your families safety and your peace of mind. Leave about 8 to 10 feet standing, and have a chainsaw carver give you a quote to carve something onsite to honor the majestical pines.
You can take the rest of the tree and cut it into lengths for running through a sawmill and after that block up the smaller pieces for campfire wood.
By not using the bottom 8 to 10 feet you will avoid the usual hardware found in "yard" trees, which your sawmill operator will appreciate.
Depending on your chainsaw skills you could even carve out a cool looking chair or two, if you wanted something simple. If you do decide to leave the standing sections for a carving here are a few tips:
-peel the bark off of the tree as soon as it is cut. 1.) it will peel a lot easier while the sap is still flowing and 2.) you will lessen the chance of wood borers and other insects from infesting the standing log. Usually there is a discoloration in the underlying wood if there is metal in the tree, ie clothesline hooks, nails from hanging a plant, etc
-After the upper portion of the tree is cut off, recut the top surface on an angle so water will run off and not saturate the remaining tree and add to premature decay. You might even want to paint the top surface if the remaining tree will sit for a while so the tree dries out uniformly,and has less of a tendency to crack severely
- I don't know how bad woodborers are by you, but we either have to spray or peel our sawlogs to keep insects out of them

What ever you decide to do with your trees, I most assuredly would recommend cutting them for your families' safety, and plant some other trees in their stead. So many times you see such dangerous yard trees that have outgrown their usefulness as a windbreak or shade tree and are just a liability. Good luck and be safe. Do not be afraid to bring in outside help if the trees are too big to handle.-ken

Woodjack

Probably you can call an arborist technician, ask for his opinion on risk assessment for the trees to fall, depending on all sorts of factors, including pests, extreme weather and so on. Probably, you can just cut down a portion of the trees and reduce greatly the risk of the trees felling by natural causes.

Probably the "sapping all over my new metal roof" is honeydew produced by aphids that settle on the pine during Spring and Summer. You can take care of them with insecticides that are applied to the soil and the tree will absorb them.

"Probably" once more because I am just posting hypothetical ideas!

Years ago I cut all the trees close to my house and have no regrets. No mold or dampness problems now that the house dries off with early morning sun...

...and another thing...no more raccoons giving birth in the attic either.

I smell fresh saw chips. That smell, that pine smell the whole hill, nothing else in the world smells like that. It smells like victory! I love the smell of pine in the morning.:cheers:

My wife and I just built a new house. Before we started we cut down everything within striking distance of the house. Our trailer had a MONSTER pine in front and in back of it. One looked healthy from the outside but when the arborist cut into it the center was rotted horibly. Another pine that was out of reach of the house looked like an awesome mill log. 20" or so across and about 40' of straight trunk. 8-10" of the center was chewed out by ants.

Cut the trees and don't look back. The piece of mind out weighs any percieved benefit of leaving them. :chainsaw:

I was hoping for some votes to keep the pines, but you guys are helping a lot.

There's a part of me that feels it's criminal to cut a truly majestic tree unless it's absolutely necessary. I call the main tree Papa Bear. It's grand.
I'll post some pics to put things in perspective.

I was hoping for some votes to keep the pines, but you guys are helping a lot.

Don't cut them... they took a long long time to grow and were there before you were. They got squatter's rights. Have an arborist look at them and assess health.

Besides... if they smash your house in, you probably needed the ventilation anyway... :greenchainsaw:

Ian

Im with HH on this one.To cut a tree because it might fall on your house is not a good reason in my book.Unless the trees prove to have something that compromises their structure, leave em alone.I have many trees that MIGHT fall on the house,but they are sound in structure and I wouldnt dream of cutting them just because they might fall some day.

Latest posts

Back