Should this have been a crane removal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looked like in some of the still pictures he had the tree roped together strategically like cables which I do often in beat trees like that for self preservation.

I dont know if you guys saw the other thread where he didnt know what kind of tree it was or not...but if it were me cutting a tree that dead, I would damn sure know what :censored:ing kind of tree it was before going to work on it! big dif between elm and cottonwood.

anytime i gotta tip tie, i always butt tie as well. Otherwise youre gonna see a nasty shockload and possibly get hurt. I know somebody that lost his eye because of freefalling tip ties. That way you can lower your piece down slowly and have complete control over the piece. Looks like a nasty removal brother, good to see all is well and unhurt.

anytime i gotta tip tie, i always butt tie as well. Otherwise youre gonna see a nasty shockload and possibly get hurt. I know somebody that lost his eye because of freefalling tip ties. That way you can lower your piece down slowly and have complete control over the piece. Looks like a nasty removal brother, good to see all is well and unhurt.

Sounds like someone that actually knows how to cut a tree for a change!

Welcome to AS man, I'll get ya some more rep goin.

Welcome WTC Here is a little green under your name

I dont know if you guys saw the other thread where he didnt know what kind of tree it was or not...but if it were me cutting a tree that dead, I would damn sure know what :censored:ing kind of tree it was before going to work on it! big dif between elm and cottonwood.

I knew It wasn't cottowood from the bark, there were several large cottonwood there, and the bark was noticably different. I can tell by the leaves, but without, I am still learning. I did core drill the thing in several places and was solid, So not sure what else one would do as far as checking tree's stability. When you say quite a bit difference between cottonwood and elm, are you referring to how much water the cottonwood holds there for being lighter and breaking easier than elm once dried out?

23k lb rope, heavy duty rigging gear. Nice. I'm curious as to what that tree was rated at???

Looks to me like the ring shake on the end of the butt log shows punky heartwood that added little or nothing to tree strength. Combine that with the exterior notches cut to hold the porty sling, and it doesn't look to me like you had much margin on what the tree could support.

With thanks to The Tree Spyder, I'd have been trying to minimize shock loading with a lighter line with more stretch. The heavier you go on rope, the greater the peak load on the stem is. I don't think breaking the rope was ever a worry, breaking the tree.....well, I'd have been thinking on that with every cut.

Canned champagne refers to the case of Miller Lite sitting on the log. Helps make ya look Extra-Pro.

Edit: After going back and looking again, the ring shake is present, but the heartwood looks more solid that I originally stated. Still good to always keep in mind the piece of the system which does not have a rating.

Tree spyder, You mean a spyder sling? for tying both ends off? I need to get one of those def looks handy. Yeah I figured out the canned champagne, the lady across the street bought that for the guys for bringing her firewood, I havn't had me a drink in awhile, lets just say I liked the stuff a little too much.

Also What is ring shake? And how is connected to heartwood? Anyways wanna thank all you guys for your feedback, like I said I am new and learning and trying to learn as much as I can.

Tree spyder, You mean a spyder sling? for tying both ends off? I need to get one of those def looks handy. Yeah I figured out the canned champagne, the lady across the street bought that for the guys for bringing her firewood, I havn't had me a drink in awhile, lets just say I liked the stuff a little too much.

Also What is ring shake? And how is connected to heartwood? Anyways wanna thank all you guys for your feedback, like I said I am new and learning and trying to learn as much as I can.

The Tree Spyder is a guy who posts here. He's VERY good at understanding and using the forces we create with trees, ropes, and chainsaws. You can learn alot spending some time on his website, I think it's "mytreelessons.com"

You don't really need to buy a spider rig in order to make use of one....I prussic the secondary line onto the main rigging line, and get a tip and butt tie on one rope for horizontal limbs over targets. (Very important to make sure that prussic connection is tied, dressed, set, and has a good bite on the mainline. You DON'T want it slipping) Having a butt tie on a second rope would have helped alot, as noted earlier by Walter, probably better than the spider rig.

Ring shake is where the separation is between the wood following the rings. It's a structural defect, but I don't know the degree that it weakens the tree.

I'm kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned that the block should have been higher. Looks like it was as high as the lift could get it, and that's where it went. Would have made for less shock loading than the way it was too, IMHO.

I disagree. I would think a man with good common sense could look and fell the wood and know what he is working with without actually knowing the species.

But I don't disagree wholeheartedly.

Last edited:
Interesting job. As I looked over first the pictures and then the video I had a list of things to pick....... and then I remembered a few dodgy jobs I did early on and was so glad I DIDNT take pictures of. :)

Chip I think you did right working from a platform. Whether or not anyone else would have done that is moot. It was your job and your choice and most importantly, your life. A crane almost always speeds up a job and always costs more profit. The question is do you have more time or more jobs. If you have way to much work then use a crane. If you have way to much time then don't.

There are 2 kinds of treemen IMO. Those that have broken stuff and those that lie about it. I like your honesty. :cheers:

I probably would have climbed it but hard to say from a picture. Elm is strong even dead to a degree I would of took limbs out small to avoid any shock on the stem. I never hit a roof with anything larger than a pine cone or twigs though. You got it down and you were there and are safe,if the home owner is happy and you made some coin all is good. Yes 100 foot lift,I use my 60 foot many times for a ladder lol, It helps but many times at full height your still looking at a small tree above you. I love the jobs where mine reaches the whole canopy allowing cut and chuck into the bed of my mack grapple truck means no raking stacking so when done with limbs and medium wood drop logs load with grapple and pay da man lol:cheers:

I believe you made the right choice on renting the lift and piecing it down. Being up in a tall dead Elm scares me.
Heres a couple of pics of Poplars I've removed with a lift.

Back