Shoutout to dmb2623 (and trains)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just wanted to give a big thanks to David (dmb2623) for fixing my 661.

I bought the thing brand new, and after taking down one tree with it, I broke the most important rule of all - I loaned it out.

Goodness, the city workers were taking down a tree and said I could have the wood, so I'm waiting for them to finish with truck, trailer, saws, and kids all ready to go. They cut the notch, and only had to finish the back cut. Their chain came off. I waited. They had to go get another. I waited. The got a chain and put it on. I waited. They tried to cut, and the chain came off again. I waited. They said they had to go get some more parts.

Sheesh, they had only a single cut to make, they had the exact same saw as I did, and they were professionals - what could go wrong? One stinking cut, so I gave them mine. As soon as I saw the angled back cut, I had misgivings, and then he tripped the chain lock, and kept going. Burned the damn thing right up. One one cut.

Well, I didn't know how bad things were until much later, and I tried to get my Stihl warranty going, but suddenly they weren't too interested in coming through on their end of the bargain. The agreed to pay for any parts I needed, so I got on AS, and dmb2623 and trains tried to coach me through the repairs, but it soon became apparent that I needed darn near everything, and would have to take it completely apart. I didn't feel up to the task, but trains thought I could do it.

Well, we tried for a while, but it was too much for me. David had offered to have me ship the saw to him and he'd fix it, so I finally caved in and did that. Sure enough, he found more things that I didn't catch. Had I managed to get everything back together, and fired it up, I would have realized it needed to be redone again, and I would have just thrown the thing away. But David caught it all, fixed it up, sent me a bill for the shipping and parts (no labor costs) and I paid him for that stuff (and a bit more) and now I have my saw back. It works as good as ever, and she'll never again touch anyone's hands but mine!!!

It's good to have the whole family together at last.

Thanks David for all you did! You're awesome!!

IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1467.JPG

I'm glad Dave helped you out and the saw got fixed properly. Good people like that are few and far between.

Curious, what parts got trashed? Clutch , brake band and oil pump?

Concerning loaning out saws, that is why everyone should have a Poulan Wild Thing loaner on hand with a 1-gal mix can. ;)

Congrats to you and @dmb2613 . Its tough to find a dude like that that will lend a hand for a fellow cutter. Pay it forward, I'm sure thats all he expects. I know I am for the favor he did me.

Good advice. I'll be sure and loan out my saws to anyone who needs them!! :laughing::laughing:

But I've already done a bit of paying forward. I've won two chainsaws on raffles here, and donated both of them back again to other raffles (even though they were both great saws, especially that McCullough - it was hard to let that one go!) . There are so many great people around here it's pretty easy to pay it forward to all of you. :clap::rock:

I'm glad Dave helped you out and the saw got fixed properly. Good people like that are few and far between.

Curious, what parts got trashed? Clutch , brake band and oil pump?

Concerning loaning out saws, that is why everyone should have a Poulan Wild Thing loaner on hand with a 1-gal mix can. ;)

The crankshaft was also damaged.

Latest posts

Back