Show me your spare chain saw chain holders!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttyR2

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas on how to store and transport spare chains. I have a few loops of 20", 25" and 32" chain.

One idea I had was a flat board long enough to mount a couple short pieces of 2" round wood with just enough slack to slide chains over it (sorta like a guide bar without the groove). Could even put a swinging tab on the 2" rounds that would keep the chain on, and flip out of the way to pull a chain off.

One idea I had was a flat board long enough to mount a couple short pieces of 2" round wood with just enough slack to slide chains over it (sorta like a guide bar without the groove). Could even put a swinging tab on the 2" rounds that would keep the chain on, and flip out of the way to pull a chain off.

I've always just wrapped them together in an old t-shirt ...

I use a carabiner to hook them together when taking larger amount of equipment into the woods. But I also have a simple bright red backpack that I use for equipment out in the woods.

I use a carabiner to hook them together when taking larger amount of equipment into the woods. But I also have a simple bright red backpack that I use for equipment out in the woods.

Made the mistake of using my old ABU backpack in the woods, just about lost it! I tied orange flagging tape to it after that.

My set up may be impractical for many as my chains ride in the back of the truck, but some may like it.

Waterproof ammo can:

IMG_1609.JPG IMG_1610.JPG

Waterproof plastic containers: Spare parts, tools,and three different chain lengths. Loose tools: Magnet, files, and midget wedges.

IMG_1611.JPG

I cut in some sorry locations and can go through a pile of chains in a few hours. Each plastic container will hold 6 or more chains. IIRC they will only hold 3 or 4 32"+ .404s.

Ron

I use small plastic Tupperware boxes like shown above. I write the type of chain and saw its for on top. I can squeeze four 20" .375 .050 chains in one. Then those go in my saw box, which is a tough box for trucks that can be lifted. Tough box has spare bars up to 25", chains, bar oil, gas mix oil, wedges, small sledge and few few tools. I found the chain boxes in the stationary section at Walmart and they stack on top of each other nicely inside the tough box.

I use small plastic Tupperware boxes like shown above. I write the type of chain and saw its for on top. I can squeeze four 20" .375 .050 chains in one. Then those go in my saw box, which is a tough box for trucks that can be lifted. Tough box has spare bars up to 25", chains, bar oil, gas mix oil, wedges, small sledge and few few tools. I found the chain boxes in the stationary section at Walmart and they stack on top of each other nicely inside the tough box.

Pics.

Have been pondering this lately also. Need to store (in ute, any lock-ups on jobs) four bars up to 42", multiple quantities of chains in each of about 4 sizes, spares, digital angle finder, etc. Currently, I have a MDF box a bit like a rifle case I made up but am not happy with it not being weatherproof, and chains being all over the show.

Current idea is to make another box and lid, from rigid PVC foam board, and have roughly 1" high internal dividers spaced about a 1/2" apart, running the length of the box. Chains can slip in between these without tangling and I can keep the various sizes and blunt or sharp apart.

Also considered about 1" clear pvc tube for the chains, and just thrown them in the box.

Another idea, and my preferred one if I could actually find something like this here and it didn't cost so much, is using a flat back aluminium heatsink extrusion long enough to run the length of the box, for the chain dividers in the box:

hatsink.jpg

Back