Show me your spare chain saw chain holders!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have been pondering this lately also. Need to store (in ute, any lock-ups on jobs) four bars up to 42", multiple quantities of chains in each of about 4 sizes, spares, digital angle finder, etc. Currently, I have a MDF box a bit like a rifle case I made up but am not happy with it not being weatherproof, and chains being all over the show.

Current idea is to make another box and lid, from rigid PVC foam board, and have roughly 1" high internal dividers spaced about a 1/2" apart, running the length of the box. Chains can slip in between these without tangling and I can keep the various sizes and blunt or sharp apart.

Also considered about 1" clear pvc tube for the chains, and just thrown them in the box.

Another idea, and my preferred one if I could actually find something like this here and it didn't cost so much, is using a flat back aluminium heatsink extrusion long enough to run the length of the box, for the chain dividers in the box:

View attachment 511784

My favorite:

Extinct VHS tape cartridge box. I can get two little chain loops in there or one big one. Document with a note, and you can read it without opening it. They also sit side-by-side very well on a shelf, just like a book. Arrange them small loops to large, left to right.

Now that there is a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that there is a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got a large box of these from a tape rental store that sold them all out for almost nothing. I gave a few to several of my steady customers and they return the chains in them when dull for the next sharpening. They last a long time.

I use the box the chain came in, but Stihl is switching to cardboard so I may have to visit the dollar store. Would love to find some VHS tape boxes though.

My dulled chains are hung over the rail clamps on my truck cap. I can hang several chains over a clamp.

Have put all these
unpacked.jpg

into this waterproof 6" tube, with a fair bit of spare room for extras like chain links, angle finder, tach, a few tools and a few more bars and chains than shown above.

packed.jpg

Just need to give it some legs and some heavy duty handles as it's quite heavy.

Sized to fit 42" bars (the biggest I'll run unless milling), fit across the back of the truck tray, and also on the back seat if I need to lock it in the car.

IMG_1705.JPG First version, so it may need a tweak or two. Rubber bands aren't the same as they used to be. Seem to dry rot quickly. Always hated untangling a freakin' puzzle chain in the timber.

Always hated untangling a freakin' puzzle chain in the timber.

Thats funny right there!!! Ive seen sooooo many guys thruout my life that have a helluva time untangling a chain. It always cracks me up, then really cracks me up when i grab it and have it ready to go on the saw in about 15 seconds. The guys i currently work with struggle to no end with this everytime they pick up a chain. And i dont go easy on them about it :) hahaha!!

Ive always thought untangling a chainsaw chain should be the common sense test. Some got it, and some dont...

Have put all these
View attachment 514293

into this waterproof 6" tube, with a fair bit of spare room for extras like chain links, angle finder, tach, a few tools and a few more bars and chains than shown above.

View attachment 514294

Just need to give it some legs and some heavy duty handles as it's quite heavy.

Sized to fit 42" bars (the biggest I'll run unless milling), fit across the back of the truck tray, and also on the back seat if I need to lock it in the car.

Where did you get the little gray things from inside the pipe? Do you know what they are called

My favorite:

Extinct VHS tape cartridge box. I can get two little chain loops in there or one big one. Document with a note, and you can read it without opening it. They also sit side-by-side very well on a shelf, just like a book. Arrange them small loops to large, left to right.
Right here!

I have a bunch of these. We bought a bunch of movies from a video rental place that went out of business. They are mostly beta and the film quality is so bad now I have been pitching the tapes anyhow.

Back