Shrink wrapped firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shrink Wrapping Firewood

Shrink wrapping sucks! Think about where the majority of that plastic ends up, it ain't the recycle bin. It is an environmental disaster. Learn to tie and knot and use SISAL baler twine, it is not toxic when it goes in the stove/fireplace.

Shrink wrapping sucks! Think about where the majority of that plastic ends up, it ain't the recycle bin. It is an environmental disaster. Learn to tie and knot and use SISAL baler twine, it is not toxic when it goes in the stove/fireplace.

would take forever shrink wrap is because of speed and efficiency and the kiln is built out of a sea container. has slots in the floor for wood cages to slid in so you can take them in and out with a skid loader. the cages are supposed to hold a full cord.

I hear you. roaches are tuff but they can't take it either.

Think of it another way. You've been outside at zero degrees if you were to stay out long enough for your core temp to reach 32 degrees well you get the point.

The wood has to be treated at about 175 degrees F. for about 3-6 hours so that the themal probe inside the core of the sample reaches 133 F for 1/2 hour.
It doesn't have to be 175 Deg F. it could be lower say 150 degrees but would take days instead of hours to get the 133 degrees.

By the way wet wood aids in the speed of treatment. Dry wood will work but takes longer.

It takes a lot of heat to do this... I mean you have no idea $$$$ If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

You should see the poisionous chemical fumes come out of ordinary wood....
You can't be in the chamber you wont be able to breathe. There's alot of things going on here at the same time.

ya thats why we are having a company that builds kilns do it for us want something that works and works well. the kiln was right under 30 grand.
the processor was close in price also.

Matt, I tried to Google Blue Mountain kilns/ heat treating etc.... but come up with nothing.

Is it under a different name ?
They are not the only people in the business I can guarantee that but the price seems about right.

There are many variations on this. I was thinking of making something myself as I have a ton of experience in this field.

I'm the guy that goes out in the field to troubleshoot and service this equipment. My area covers 7 states all the way to the Canadian border.

I hear you. roaches are tuff but they can't take it either.

Think of it another way. You've been outside at zero degrees if you were to stay out long enough for your core temp to reach 32 degrees well you get the point.

The wood has to be treated at about 175 degrees F. for about 3-6 hours so that the themal probe inside the core of the sample reaches 133 F for 1/2 hour.
It doesn't have to be 175 Deg F. it could be lower say 150 degrees but would take days instead of hours to get the 133 degrees.

By the way wet wood aids in the speed of treatment. Dry wood will work but takes longer.

It takes a lot of heat to do this... I mean you have no idea $$$$ If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

You should see the poisionous chemical fumes come out of ordinary wood....
You can't be in the chamber you wont be able to breathe. There's alot of things going on here at the same time.

Oh ok i got ya i thought you meant put the wood in a 133 degree chamber for half an hour, makes a bit more sense now

kiln runs on propane and the one we where looking at heated to upwards of 180 degrees if i remember correctly was 3-6 hours they where saying for 10 cords. it can run on propane or natural gas not sure how hard it will be to get a gas line to where its going.

I TOLD YOU NOT TO TELL ME!!!!!! DAMIT! Knowledge is a curse you fool! You see we are talking about treating a Godam log better than most people treat their kids.

Matt, I tried to Google Blue Mountain kilns/ heat treating etc.... but come up with nothing.

Is it under a different name ?
They are not the only people in the business I can guarantee that but the price seems about right.

There are many variations on this. I was thinking of making something myself as I have a ton of experience in this field.

I'm the guy that goes out in the field to troubleshoot and service this equipment. My area covers 7 states all the way to the Canadian border.

come build us one i haven't signed a deal yet or pulled the trigger 100% on the kiln the kiln is just the grey area for us could either be a bust or do very well not really sure.

all i figured was if it didn't make any cash i would still use it for my firewood and the wood that i sell to other people in bulk.

if you work for a company that builds and sells them give me the contact info ill have someone call tomorrow id be interested in hearing about it.

Last edited:
I TOLD YOU NOT TO TELL ME!!!!!! DAMIT! Knowledge is a curse you fool! You see we are talking about treating a Godam log better than most people treat their kids.

its all for the better good man take a product that is a bi product of what you do like cutting down a tree and turning it into another profit margin. I'm always hungry for more.

Matt, that kiln you see is actually a "reefer" trailer with the wheels and axle off. It was a refrigerated cargo container and there's nothing special about it. Basically you drive your fork truck inside it and stack your wood or your pallets for heat treating.

But you can make your own it doesn't have to be this size or shape. This is just what one company decided to do a number of years back and it works. But there are many ways to do this but I have to tell you I've been around these heat treating containers for almost 10 years and they can be tricky if you custom make your own.

I'm not going to build one at least not right now but I've been around enough of them that I know what works and what doesn't.

There are off shoots of this heat treating idea that are big money makers too. They replace chemical treatments to kill bugs and pests.

I might design something along those lines. I'm still looking for what I want to do.

I have enough licenses in the mechanical / electrical fields that it's difficult to figure which way to go in.

Here's a thought though, it's not always about money, you have to love what you do !

Matt, that kiln you see is actually a "reefer" trailer with the wheels and axle off. It was a refrigerated cargo container and there's nothing special about it. Basically you drive your fork truck inside it and stack your wood or your pallets for heat treating.

But you can make your own it doesn't have to be this size or shape. This is just what one company decided to do a number of years back and it works. But there are many ways to do this but I have to tell you I've been around these heat treating containers for almost 10 years and they can be tricky if you custom make your own.

I'm not going to build one at least not right now but I've been around enough of them that I know what works and what doesn't.

There are off shoots of this heat treating idea that are big money makers too. They replace chemical treatments to kill bugs and pests.

I might design something along those lines. I'm still looking for what I want to do.

I have enough licenses in the mechanical / electrical fields that it's difficult to figure which way to go in.

Here's a thought though, it's not always about money, you have to love what you do !

o i do love what i do thats how I've made it this far to be able to buy all this craziness. i spend my free time after I'm done with trees reading and calling people on how i can do better.
if your interested in making one for me I'm sure i could fund it if the price isn't to outrageous if you can build something like you say you can. i eat Breath and live trees.

its provided me with a lifestyle that i wouldn't change for the world am my own boss make good money get to play with cool toys my wife can stay home and take care of my kids its been a god sent for me.

its all for the better good man take a product that is a bi product of what you do like cutting down a tree and turning it into another profit margin. I'm always hungry for more.

Yeah, i do that too and I am sorry to hear you are such a pig. Again, you said it, I didn't. Ah, maybe one day...

Anyway, one of the bigger guys ( not too big) around here is selling his 40k firewood processor cause it to much of a pain in the ass. He would rather make mulch so it can be heaped on the trees. More money in that I guess. He is probably like me, full of crap about selling it. Firewoodin is a #####, you find a guy gonna do it 40 hours I will be impressed.

Yeah, i do that too and I am sorry to hear you are such a pig. Again, you said it, I didn't. Ah, maybe one day...

Anyway, one of the bigger guys ( not too big) around here is selling his 40k firewood processor cause it to much of a pain in the ass. He would rather make mulch so it can be heaped on the trees. More money in that I guess. He is probably like me, full of crap about selling it. Firewoodin is a #####, you find a guy gonna do it 40 hours I will be impressed.

the idea he who does the least and gets paid the most is in the lead in the game of work. the whole idea is to build a business in many aspects so that in the end solution you have something you can either sell or something someone wants to buy out so you can retire. in the process tho you also have to bank up enough capital to support this.

being a pig in the money end is a good thing if your not your just cutting yourself short and not taking advantage of everything you can. if your capable and have the funds to do thies things why wouldn't you. only is logical make more money right?

the tub grinder for us is about two years away we have been going back and forth with rotochopper and morbark the big holdup is the property to put it on. if we had the property that bad boy would be grinding right now.

Matt, the company I used to work for does not make these anymore. It was not worth the headaches. By the way they were inovators in the field of heat treating.

The problem was the customer would try to modify or alter their needs to fit the container and then the problems started.

There was some design issues at first which have now been worked out. I lost some of my hair over that !

My job was to go to each site and start these units up and make adjustments and go over the entire procedure including logging certification for the inspectors.

For instance any pallet going overseas has to be heat treated and stamped as such to prevent insects and eggs from traveling from one country to another.

I just thought I would put my 2 cents in this thread as there is a lot of money at stake not to mention the unit has to work right all the time not just when it wants too.

Matt, the company I used to work for does not make these anymore. It was not worth the headaches. By the way they were inovators in the field of heat treating.

The problem was the customer would try to modify or alter their needs to fit the container and then the problems started.

There was some design issues at first which have now been worked out. I lost some of my hair over that !

My job was to go to each site and start these units up and make adjustments and go over the entire procedure including logging certification for the inspectors.

For instance any pallet going overseas has to be heat treated and stamped as such to prevent insects and eggs from traveling from one country to another.

I just thought I would put my 2 cents in this thread as there is a lot of money at stake not to mention the unit has to work right all the time not just when it wants too.

ya i understand and appreciate it if you ever have some free time PM me your number i still do have some questions maybe you could help me with so i get what I'm looking for out of this.

thanks again.

Firewood is all about the quantity and efficiency, same with mulch. I did 50 cords with my buddy this year. It didn't take that long really and we were able to wholesale it all. A good sidejob money maker, but definitely would be struggling if I had to make a living. My boss' son does land clearing and chipping. They are currently clearing out the chip pile at work for mulch. Probably have close to 1.5/2 million in equipment over there, grinder, loaders, excavators, semis, dozers. The chipper uses 32 gallons an hour when full throttle!

Bundles are a good market if you set up right, it maximizes your gross no doubt, so profit should follow if done correctly. The setup is what separates the big boys from the little guys. Very few kilns across the country, as the upfront cost is large and you need a place to store the stuff because you will want to do mass quantity to max profit. Kiln dry stuff opens you up to be able to sell to national companies/chains, like supermarkets and convenient stores as it is "certified" because of the kiln process. I think you could do it Matt, you have the wood supply and are no doubt a go getter.

The rural exodus means large numbers of people moving out of rural areas (where farming used to be done) into the urban areas, or cities, where they hoped to find industrial jobs or any work other than farming. Because the farm land that they left behind remained "fallow" -- uncultivated, or unused for growing crops -- the forest grew back ("advanced"). So "land laying fallow" means "farm land left uncultivated."

:spam::spam::spam::spam:

what kind of name is fashion master for a tree care forum.

I guess a wood fired boiler is one of the main ways to run these things. How much wood does it take to dry out a load of 6-8 cords?
Should be able to burn up your used oil too if not doing it already, sounds like you'd have alot of it with all the eqpt. you run.

I guess a wood fired boiler is one of the main ways to run these things. How much wood does it take to dry out a load of 6-8 cords?
Should be able to burn up your used oil too if not doing it already, sounds like you'd have alot of it with all the eqpt. you run.

ya as far as loaders and bobcats stuff like that we have more of them than people during the winter so we got a lot of machinery to make the firewood deal easier the processor is coming with a conveyor to fill the steel cages then you carry them in with a skid loader and forks.

I am thinking if you want to sell shrink wrapped firewood you don't go to the store that sells it retail, you go to the wholesale distributor.
Everything that comes to a conveinience store comes on one truck... usually.

Latest posts

Back