Sick 250 years old willow oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmguan

Reaction score
I have a 250 years old tree in our front yard and wish it could live longer. An arborist told us that the tree is too old and is rotting in the middle and should be removed. I am wondering how can I know for sure it is rotting inside and is there any way to treat it.

There are a few symtoms:

1. The tree has fungus outside
2. The tree has a some dead branchs

--Mei

Mei,
From your description, fugual bodies and dead limbs, a possible cavity, you have an over mature oak. The tree is in a state of decline and will not improve.

From here on out you will be maintaining the tree to keep it safe. What I mean is you will have to remove limbs to keep yourself and property safe.

You may wish to get a second opinion as well.

Jay
Certified Arborist
Urban Forester

Fungus on the outside=rotten on the inside. Most arborists would like to have you as a regular customer with the cabling, pruning, fertilizing, etc., etc., that your tree will require, but when a tree is seriously declined removal can be the best way to go. I've seen my share of trees that the owner couldn't bear to take down. I've seen them on the house, on the car, in the street. It might be better to remove it before it becomes an insurance claim.

An overmature tree with structural problems can be an expensive long term problem. If you go into cabling and other measures to _extend_ the life you will need it to be inspected regularly. The schedule for this needs to be dertermined. I would recomend getting a consulting arborist who will give you an opinion independant form a removal contractor.

Thank you so much for all your advise. We will get the city arborist to come and take a look at it since it is a registered tree.

I am wondering though, is how to determin how rotten it is inside. The tree is huge and has three trunks. The bottom is about 8 feet in diameter and the trunks are about 4 feet in diameter. When there is a storm, it does not move at all. I think we may have to cut it down in the future, but we want to keep it as long as it is safe. I am wondering how to determin how much is rotten inside, is there any way to do that using some kind of sonic technique, or can I drill the tree to find out? Also, is there a way to stop or slow down the rotting process?

The other bad thing is that the arborist said there are some tree mites inside. What are they? How can I get rid of them?

--Mei

Back