Sick Ficus (I think), Need help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karnival8

Reaction score
We have what I believe is a Ficus tree in our front yard. It doesn't look well and hasn't looked well since we moved in.

The leaves are small and underdeveloped compared to other trees (assuming I have identified the tree correctly). We have always been able (last 3 years) been able to see right through it. It's not full and shady like others in neighborhood.

Here are a few things to note:
- We've lived here less than 3 years so I have no history before this.
- The tree is in a grass area that gets watered about 3-4 times a week for a duration of 6 minutes.
- We live in Santa Monica mountains. The soil is really rock and decomposed granite. It's somewhat alkali - 7.5ph
- We live the top of a hill. The other trees in neighborhood are more in canyon areas with actual soil. Because of our location only the top 6" of soil contains organic matter. Below that, it's just rock.
- A large pine tree shaded this tree about 50%. We originally thought that's why this tree was not well and felled the pine about 4-5 months ago. The sick tree has shown some mild improvement, but not much. The lower limbs have yellowed even more since.

I have attached images.

Thanks in advance.20180311_133100.jpg 20180311_133045.jpg 20180311_133100.jpg 20180311_133042.jpg 20180311_133026.jpg

Latest posts

Back