Sick of ash??? Gettin there :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i wonder where the line is?? i started cuttin wood with a bow saw and a 2 sided axe. eventually ended with a skid loader mounted splitter, grapple bucket, dump trailer, owb. went years without swinging a maul. then gained about 15 lbs. joined a gym. started swinging a maul. quit the gym. I probably split wood by hand half hour to one hour a day about 100 days a year. when I cant split i try to do a few push ups, sit ups, etc. so I'm just wondering where you go from good exercise to hurtin your body? or is hurting your body just inevitable?

I've drawn my line pretty much just where you have. I've kind of re-engaged with hand splitting the last 2 years. Like the work out and the quiet and relaxed pace of not running the splitter. I also do about an hour at a time, and I use the splitter on the difficult stuff; "resistance is futile." :) So, like any activity, if you avoid "too much", you get the benefits of the excercise without the damage of overdoing it.

I thought I was cool with my fiskars , then my dad just bought a splitter last weekend, I could cut, load and split a truckload of walnut in an afternoon, then my dad bought a forest king Menard's special, I split a cord in an hr, at the end, couldnt beat it on the crotches and knotty stuff, hand tools are no match for stuff like that

I've got 3 logging outfits all dragging trees out of the woods within a 10 mile radius of my home. I've been to each one of them to ask if they can sell log length firewood. The two I've talked with said they are 12 and 20 truck loads behind on orders of log length firewood! Unbelievable how hard it's getting to find log firewood. When its available I'll buy as much as I can, at least 2 years worth. It costs about $90-$100 per cord delivered for mixed hard wood.

Latest posts

Back