Sick Tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avalon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a pine tree, about 50 ft. tall, that looks ill for the last 3 yrs. Unlike all of the other pines on my property, its needles will turn brown from mid-way up the needle. IOW, the upper half of the needles will turn brown. Each year, new needles grow from the end of the branches, like normal, but last year's needles are 1/2 brown.

It also sheds needles at a higher rate than the others. I see this because it is right beside my driveway. I've looked all over the internet to try and find what this may be, but it doesn't fit anything I can find. I've been pondering cutting it down, reluctantly, for fear it was dying, although it keeps on living with its disfunctional problem. A smaller tree adjacent to it has taken on the same problem, too.

I figured that if it was insects it might have died sooner, maybe. Anyway, I'm trying to figure whether it might get better, or might need to come down to prevent further spreading of whatever illness from which it suffers.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Avalon,

You say this pine is right next to your driveway. Is there a vehicle that is commonly started and warmed up with its exhaust pointing into it? Over time the build up will cause the needles to brown, which might explain why the new growth looks good but the year two growth is starting to brown prematurely.

Just a thought, I've seen this many times.

RedlineIt

Edited to add: Sorry, just reread your post, this is a biggish Pine at 50' tall. If the problem is throughout a Pine this size, my scenario became quite unlikely unless you warn up you car for 5 minutes every day.

Any changes to the root zone recently?

Last edited:
Avalon,

Edited to add: Sorry, just reread your post, this is a biggish Pine at 50' tall. If the problem is throughout a Pine this size, my scenario became quite unlikely unless you warn up you car for 5 minutes every day.

Any changes to the root zone recently?

No, there's no pollution, and no cars nearby. Besides, no one here warms up their car. The tree's 40 ft. from any carpark or garage. We live somewhat in the country.

Latest posts

Back