Side-boards for this trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne02

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading through the back-threads on this subject and had some clarifying questions. I use this 18' tilt-bed car trailer to haul the racecar, split firewood, brush, lumber, 20' lengths of structural steel and irrigation piping, etc. I'd like to have a more appropriate trailer for wood hauling but that's not in the cards so I make due with what I have.

I use it to transport split green firewood from my rural farm property to my primary residence (both in WA). 100 miles of highway travel each way for the most part, three times per year. Three seasons ago I built some 3' high side-boards out of osb with 2x4 stakes. I realize osb is not the best stuff to use but I had it left over from a previous project so I linseed oiled it and it has lasted three or four years but is worn out and needs replaced.

I liked the fact that it was fully enclosed sides as I've always wondered if split pieces of firewood could make their way through the slat style of sideboards. But that may be a non-issue as I've never actually used that style of sideboard before. The drawbacks of this set-up include the weight, the sides are really heavy and difficult for one person to line up with the pockets and insert/remove. The stake pockets on the trailer seem to be of three different sizes, two of which will not accept a 2x4 without trimming. So I had to cut them down to fit in the pockets and despite my attention to properly coating the cut ends they still eventually soaked up moisture and became tight in the pockets. I drilled all the stake pockets and the stakes and used ball-detent pins to keep the stakes from jumping out of the pockets.

I am very careful with how I much I load the trailer as it has more volume capacity than weight capacity. I don't stack the spit wood in there, just toss it in.

I'd like some ideas on how I can make a new set of side-boards. There has to be a better way of making/buying stakes that will fit properly in these pockets? And the new side-boards need to be lighter. My son has moved out on his own now and he is not around to help me with the firewood. Lifting these large side-boards off/on is very difficult for me to do by myself. So I'm thinking I probably need smaller side-boards (length wise) and more of them. Maybe need to go the multiple slat style vs the solid style? As far as the pockets go, maybe I need to buy some more pockets that will fit a 2x4 and weld them on? I do need to put the trailer in the shop to recoat the floor and do some welding on the tail-light mounts so maybe I should do the stake pockets as well. Are 2x4's the best thing to use for stakes?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

There are 22 stake pockets total on the trailer, of which only 6 actually fit a 2x4.

The three pockets pictured in below post.
i-56NCw8j-M.jpg

Current side-boards
i-xzM6smQ-L.jpg

Only picture I can find of the outside

Last edited:
This c-channel style of course will not fit a 2x4
i-QFNBjtf-M.jpg

i-WLDdkdj-M.jpg

This formed pocket does fit a 2x4
i-4hJ7cwv-M.jpg

i-Pxr5ZTL-M.jpg

i-fF7NTnR-M.jpg

And these formed pockets look like they were supposed to fit a 2x4 but do not.
i-NgLTT4Z-M.jpg

i-hmT3Qpj-M.jpg

i-SqR7TWq-M.jpg

Last edited:
If you are using wood, I would find some rough sawn oak. It may be a bit heavier, but much stronger than a piece of pine if the load shifts against it. If you are hauling rounds, you could use boards (much like a cattle rack) to save weight.

Maybe you can find a junker landscapers trailer, the kind with steel mesh,(and smaller ones guys have for hauling ATVS and so on) and cut that up and use it to make sides. Keep the weight down but still be able to hold the wood in.

Unfortunately, I can't see your pictures...here's my suggestion without seeing pics.

Spend a few bucks on treated 2x4s or whatever size you need to fit your stake pockets. For my dump trailer, I used 3/4 PLYWOOD, not OSB. I had some old primer and paint, so I painted the plywood. Once the treated stake pieces dried, I painted them as well.

I raised my dump trailer by 2' using this and it has lasted 6 years. The 3/4 is so much more durable, or 23/32, or whatever they are selling as 3/4s these days.

You will pick up some weight there, but the durability is worth it. Also, build your sides so you can lift them out in sections, so it won't beat you up if you want to remove it when not in use.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beal...4808208418&set=pu.330852538418&type=1&theater

Back