Side dishes or veggies..........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
picked some more carrots from garden this afternoon... gave a couple of handfuls like this to neighbors... and one for 'the house'!
make a side out of it...
acrts.png

I like when the carrots grow together like those little ones on the left and look like a pair of pants.

ha - they are funny, huh!? I pulled some more this afternoon... and a few were that way... too. I trimmed them up at the compost bin, so here a bit shorter. not sure why they do that, but read once if the young carrot hits an obstacle it can cause it to split into two... as Alfred E. Newman always said: "What me worry!" lol

well, did a google on it. cultivation issues can cause legging and also planting too close. these carrot seeds were planted too close and too late. I was guarded at best given I put them in so late in season. usually like them in by mid Oct... and they take off well once colder late Dec and Jan temps arrive.. prob too close is the cause here... I planted them at night... will plant next season much thinner... all in all, happy with these results. my 2nd pulling and have given 2 bunches away to friends, also. I will wait til I get some bolting, then I will pull them all out... and call it a day. cull out what I want to use and eat... also while they seem to have enuff soil below them... I usuall make a spl raised bed for my carrots, and dint this time, just added some compost and then seeded it ~

tasty in any event... in pre-prep stage for prep to cook - think I will make a brown sugar and butta glaze sauce for these...
P1010001.JPG
P1010002.JPG

Those farm eggs with the thick and dark yolks are the best. Runny pale yellow store eggs do not compare. I am going to have to stop at the health cooperative and get some farm eggs after seeing this.

it is interesting to me to note... not all yard egg yolks r the same... free range or not. I currently get yard eggs from two flocks... both great, but the one up in country has the deeper orange and thicker yolks. I used to get some from a small rural flock that had plenty of bugs to eat while free roaming... those yolks even thicker and deeper orange. also, I think type of chicken and age factors in some, too. I also like store eggs. recently bot 3 18 packs... store had a special going on at time I passed thru... hard boiled 18 so far... made some potato salad, thinking a nice egg salad mite be next in line... lol I like egg salad on 'mater sammi-es, too!!

all the more mayo, all the merrier!! :innocent:

ha - they are funny, huh!? I pulled some more this afternoon... and a few were that way... too. I trimmed them up at the compost bin, so here a bit shorter. not sure why they do that, but read once if the young carrot hits an obstacle it can cause it to split into two... as Alfred E. Newman always said: "What me worry!" lol

well, did a google on it. cultivation issues can cause legging and also planting too close. these carrot seeds were planted too close and too late. I was guarded at best given I put them in so late in season. usually like them in by mid Oct... and they take off well once colder late Dec and Jan temps arrive.. prob too close is the cause here... I planted them at night... will plant next season much thinner... all in all, happy with these results. my 2nd pulling and have given 2 bunches away to friends, also. I will wait til I get some bolting, then I will pull them all out... and call it a day. cull out what I want to use and eat... also while they seem to have enuff soil below them... I usuall make a spl raised bed for my carrots, and dint this time, just added some compost and then seeded it ~

tasty in any event... in pre-prep stage for prep to cook - think I will make a brown sugar and butta glaze sauce for these...
View attachment 507173 View attachment 507174
One good pair of pants in there and some other funny stuff lol

does sound good! thanks for posting it. I just cleaned out the lastof my garden's carrot bed... and got a bunch... hmm, mite otta get me some zukes and make this...
Its also good with frozen vegetable like cauliflower and broccoli added, just don't par boil

Back