Side work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clearance said:
Thats real American Mike, censor unpopular speech, constitution lover you are not. What have I said that bothers your sensitive mind so much? Maybe rattled your feathers a little? suck it up.

American I am, constitution lover ehhhh don't care too much, do love the 2nd amendment though. Feathers stihl good.

Consider it sucked.

I'd still ban your ass!

Love,
-Mike-
:cheers:

clearance said:
censor unpopular speech

Unpopular? Nah, worthless. There's a big difference.

BTW, I'd explain why I'm participating, but you don't even get why this issue is the business of other tree guys, so why bother?

rebelman said:
Guys like clearance are everywhere. Every utility crew in every county and province. Every bar. Many residential crews. Ridiculing real arborists.Tearing them down somehow. For every hundred clearances there is one TreeCo, one Nickrosis, one Mike Maas, one Treeseer, one Tom Dunlap, one Rebelman... For every one hundred clearances there is a real arborist. It's obvious nobody will out post you clearance, but we don't have to dignify each of your silly challenges with a response.

Don't forget Trignog representing 1% of my little niche of central Ct!

clearance said:
Better watch out, Treeco ratted out Asplundh guys for doing side jobs with company equipment and others for working without permits, it is all here look in search, he is a RAT. And proud of it, there must be more like him out there. Done lots of side jobs, called buzz jobs here, nothing wrong with stuffing cash in your jeans. And yes, you will make thousands of dollars, it all adds up. Good luck to you, get personal insurance at the very least.

One day he will choke on his cheese.

mikecross23 said:
Keeping employees happy is important. I pass off small side jobs to my guys. I've even told them to take my equipment on a rare occation as long as it's a low risk job. Side work doesn't bother me, however if/when I catch them going behind my back to obtain side work at my expense there will be problems. I make it clear to the customer and my employee(s) that I am no longer involved and that there is no insurace covering anyone.

-Mike-
well according to treeco you and I and every employee of yours that's done sidework is a dishonest crook

Lumberjacked said:
If you want to do side "small" side jobs get some landscapers insurance. I am almost positive that allows you to be as high and a 12+ foot ladder and fell and buck up smaller trees. Go do those little trees because I like others probably do not want to be bothered by them anyway. By no means though go and do large jobs without insurance b/c that is hack work and should not be tolerated. $$$ on the weekends.
and if they climb over 12 feet then they are hacks no matter what the quality of work according to others
oh but stealing from the IRS occasionaly, well ...that's not the same, nothing dishonest there

Hey Coydowg it has nothing to do with the "quality" of work, I honestly dont doubt any of you when it comes to quality. It has everything to do with being uninsured and doing any type of "tree work." I was only stating that IF those guys wanted to do smaller jobs for a couple of extra $$$ then that is an alternative. Think of it this way, you go do a "buzz" tree job and the unthinkable happens, you get hurt. You have no insurance, and it goes on the homeowners insurance. They then sue YOU not your company and you lose everything that is in your name. That includes your house, cars, all your gear, anything that has value. Then where are you?

And....
I have a REAL hard time believing that none of you have ever taken cash jobs. If you did your own taxes then you would know that ANY income that you bring in, I dont care if your mommies gave you $50 to clean out her back yard, that is INCOME! and it is taxable according to the IRS. You will have to excuse me though I have to go steal from the govt.

you did your own taxes then you would know that ANY income that you bring in, I dont care if your mommies gave you $50 to clean out her back yard, that is INCOME! and it is taxable according to the IRS. You will have to excuse me though I have to go steal from the govt.

LOL! :laugh:

When I was working for the power company, it was encouraged to take side jobs to further our education on the total tree removal/trimming concept. The good thing about this was the fact we weren't stealing money from our employer because we were actually saving them money- because the company is a member owned co-op. The gear, including the saws, were assigned to the employee. The only thing we didn't have was a bucket or chipper. Perhaps, the big time guys on here could use this concept- cut back on wages and use the money to give the necessary equipment to their employees. The theft issue would be gone, and the equipment would be cared for- ropes coiled correctly, saw gaurds enplace, etc. Just my 2 cents worth. I have 2 employees and this works well for me- but I do make them carry an insurance rider for their " off-time" work.

tea lady

TreeLady said:
Do you honestly think it's impossible for you (or anyone) to have an accident on a side job? No matter whos gear it is? Are you just so much smarter and better than the rest of the industry?

Listen, our company doesn't forbid employees from doing side jobs. We don't have to. An employment relationship is based on trust and we take our responsibility very seriously. We pay them well, give bonuses and $$ for referrals, and they are glad to have their weekends for their families.
And if they did decide to go do side jobs, as long as they don't use our gear, I don't care. It's not like it's going to cost us any business. There are tons of full-time, "off the books" no insurance tree guys knocking on doors around here...everyday.
tree lady i dont do sides #1, #2 you cannot dictate how a person spends there off hrs although many employers would love to. when i did do sides i never had an accident and i carried 7mil because and i know that s happens. to the guy that first posted the question go for it and make as much as you can! bid careful and... go around to other cos and suggest they hire you for a day of cash, for removals that there climbers cant refuse or wont do or that the bucket cant get to, a good way to learn and meet people.

two way street

rebelman said:
Guys like clearance are everywhere. Every utility crew in every county and province. Every bar. Many residential crews. Ridiculing real arborists.Tearing them down somehow. For every hundred clearances there is one TreeCo, one Nickrosis, one Mike Maas, one Treeseer, one Tom Dunlap, one Rebelman... For every one hundred clearances there is a real arborist. It's obvious nobody will out post you clearance, but we don't have to dignify each of your silly challenges with a response.
guys its both ways utility guys get heaped on by us the public the media towns, i think we should respect each other and realize that in order to be strong we need to come together and put this behind us.

ny isa

Lumberjacked said:
Hey Coydowg it has nothing to do with the "quality" of work, I honestly dont doubt any of you when it comes to quality. It has everything to do with being uninsured and doing any type of "tree work." I was only stating that IF those guys wanted to do smaller jobs for a couple of extra $$$ then that is an alternative. Think of it this way, you go do a "buzz" tree job and the unthinkable happens, you get hurt. You have no insurance, and it goes on the homeowners insurance. They then sue YOU not your company and you lose everything that is in your name. That includes your house, cars, all your gear, anything that has value. Then where are you?

And....
I have a REAL hard time believing that none of you have ever taken cash jobs. If you did your own taxes then you would know that ANY income that you bring in, I dont care if your mommies gave you $50 to clean out her back yard, that is INCOME! and it is taxable according to the IRS. You will have to excuse me though I have to go steal from the govt.
yo ease up on the guys mom first mr. ny isa, uh i dont think they can come after the side guy the onus is on the homeowner for checking ins, lics and that sort o thing and why are you stealing from the gov is that in the ny chap by-laws

hahaha....I love it, you make it sound like I am taking tens of thousands of dollars from the govt. I am only saying that on smaller jobs where I get cash I might keep some of it. If you can honestly say and swear on everything that is holy to you that you have NEVER taken cash for a job then I think you should bring it down a little. As far as our moms are concerned It was not directed toward anyone or meant to be derogatory in any-way-shape-or-form. When it boils right down to it I don't care what you guys do as long as no one gets hurt! I was simply conveying my thoughts on the question at hand.

anyone knocking a r.o.w guy for doing a "cashie" with company equipment needs a reality check.

Nickrosis said:
It's begging the question. Aussie, why's that? What makes it okay?
Probably the same reason it is ok here, Nick if you have to ask at this point you haven't been paying attention.

Side work is fine by me. It's about time we take back from the government the sooooo many times they have bent us all over backwards. TreeCo do US all a favor and round up the illegals immagrants so most tree companys will have good work and good help. Hate it when customers put notes on the trees in spanish. If you want to do tree work TreeCO then do it. If you want to be a rat then go be a cop. I'm 21 years old so bosses d@ck me over all the time because of my age and not what I can do. So side work is need times through out the year to make ends meet.

Only do low key side work if you aren't insured. It only takes that one wind gust or that one bad crotch it mess it all up. Might be the customers responsiblity for any damages but once they find out your not legal and you put a log through there living room they'll make sure the IRS find you.

Latest posts

Back