Side work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom Dunlap said:
KS,

If they bid the job and did it themselves they would be fired. I never knew of anyone doing that though. Very few of my employees ever did any sidework. It's pretty easy to know if someone is doing side work. Climbing gear goes home in the evening and shows up the next day. Other crew members chatter. The rules were in place so that they understood my position.

The way I look at it, if they weren't on my payroll when they drove past the job they wouldn't have had the opportunity to see the work. That made the job 'mine' so to speak.

I applaud you giving an employee 10% if they bid a job for you.:clap:

But your "windshield" logic elludes me. If a guy finds a twenty dollar bill while on your clock, do you call that yours as well?

If he bids a job on his time and does it on his time my opinion would be that it was his job.

TreeCo said:
Lighten up oldugly. I was just teasing a_lopa, whom I know does ROW work down under.

I dont anymore dan 10 years was more than enough :) one things for sure theres alot more climbing in ROW for the $$$ than this residentual cream pie im eating,$200 to take a bush out or 2 days climbing next to 22kv.

ive seen residentual crews brought in for summer clearing wires they never last long its a production line for hard nasty guys not prima donna "look at me" guys with ther click in one hand cell phone in the other.

TreeCo said:
I realize Clearance and Userdude don't represent the whole ROW industry.:)

Alright Dan, now you're insulting my intelligence and that makes me somewhat angry. I've tolerated your smart ass remarks, but now you're starting to get personal. In the future leave me out of your remarks if you don't mind, or as I said before, we WILL finish this debate the next time our paths cross.

TreeCo said:
Brave words for someone hiding behind a use name.

If you are making a physical threat you are making a serious mistake.
You got that right Treeco, if anyone meets up with your arrogant ass and gives it a well deserved kicking, you will not take it like a man, you will phone the police and file an assault complaint, because that would be in keeping with what you have told us. That is you are a rat, informant, and will drop the dime on that person. And that is why I do not want you to know my name...."Hello, Revenue Canada? I would like to report someone who works for cash....."

Hahaha

This is funny stuff

but it is getting old.

As much as Dan needs a good butt whooping, noones gonna give him one.
Cmon guys- lets grow up eh?

This is just the internet and we are all grown adults, and yes threatening violence on the forum is just plain stoopid

Treeco I apologize if I misinterpreted your private teasing for a generalization. Just the rantings of a tired old ugly climber/row guy. I think I''ll limit my visits here for awhile...find something relaxing to do like explosives or something...
(Just kidding...I only blow up inanimate objects...most of the time.) LOL

And sorry kid for letting the topic get off based...side work is an education in itself. Ask 5 trimmers..get 5 different answers..ask an entire site...get 50 different answers...each one justifying his answer with his own (pardon me tree lady) or her own experiences.

This is something you need to explore for yourself, and as Shakespeare said...to thine own self be true.

KentuckySawyer said:
But your "windshield" logic elludes me. If a guy finds a twenty dollar bill while on your clock, do you call that yours as well?[/QUOT

If money is found on a client's property it belongs to the customer first. If the customer says 'finder's keepers' then it belongs to the finder. Isn't that the way you were brought up? That's what my parents taught me. Otherwise, where is the line drawn? What is the difference between finding cash and finding anything else of value? The step from finding cash on a customer's property and finding a side job while someone is on my payroll is perfectly logical.

TreeCo said:
Thanks Tophopper.

I was waiting for one of my friends to speak up for me.:cheers:

Hahahaha

Lets not get carried away Dan, I have many friends and speaking truthfully, you are not one of them. However, you (and everyone here) deserves to be shown some level of respect. No matter how much you are disliked

Tom Dunlap said:
If money is found on a client's property it belongs to the customer first. If the customer says 'finder's keepers' then it belongs to the finder. Isn't that the way you were brought up? That's what my parents taught me. Otherwise, where is the line drawn? What is the difference between finding cash and finding anything else of value?

Let me make sure I'm understanding you here, Tom. Your guys are rolling to a job, while on the way somebody sees a nasty hanger over somebody's roof. That evening after clocking out, he returns, points the hanger out to the homeowner, bids it, and then does it all on his own personal time. The next day he is fired.

If your employee were to find money while off the job site, at lunch for example, then by your logic it is his responsibility to turn the cash into you. He wouldn't have found it unless he was in your employment, right?

The step from finding cash (while on Tom's clock) and finding a side job while someone is on my payroll is perfectly logical.

So are you saying that the money is yours? Thats the only "logical" parallel that I can see you drawing here.

Last edited:
I read the whole thread and I am not in the tree buisness but have some very strong feelings about sidework. Much better story over whiskey than internet. I have one question for all the anti sidework guys; do you feel you are stealing from the employee if he or she uses any of their own equipment to make you money?

Jmack, are you questioning whether or not I run a "legit" business?? For your info I am in CNY.

Here's how I see it. I can't send my crew out for less than $400.00. Any job I bid that is in that ballpark I throw to them. If they need a chipper or a truck I get a share. Two men plus my equipment, three shares. They get cash I get a piece. We all know cash is king.

nitwit dolt said:
Here's how I see it. I can't send my crew out for less than $400.00. Any job I bid that is in that ballpark I throw to them. If they need a chipper or a truck I get a share. Two men plus my equipment, three shares. They get cash I get a piece. We all know cash is king.

that doesnt make sense. proper scheduling of 4 or more under $500 jobs per day can be a $2k + day. I enjoy the smaller jobs cause it all ads up at the end of the week. Anyone in business throwing away jobs is throwing away customer relations, period.

If your employee were to find money while off the job site, at lunch for example, then by your logic it is his responsibility to turn the cash into you. He wouldn't have found it unless he was in your employment, right?

Don't stretch the metaphor too far...anyway, no, if they find money in public, it is up to their conscience what they do with it.

Explain how you deal with this issue, KS. Not finding cash,,,side jobs.

Right, right properlly scheduled. Don't get me wrong I'am not throwing away work. What I'm doing is giving work to my guys. Instead of pushing them to do 4 jobs in one day I give them the oppurtunity to make some cash and see what time costs. I tell them " It's a two hour job for two guys. You can make $150.00 just for half saturday morning.". Every Monday I hear " I don't know what you were thinking it was 3 hours door to door.". So of course I ask why so long. Then I hear about the dull saw, no bar oil, 20 minute coffee break looking at the neighbors trees. Of course, none of these are issues when there're on my clock.So the work gets done, customer is happy, guys made some cash, and learned why I'm always yelling about the little things.

Back