Side work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a hard one for me to reply to without being a hypocrit. My first boss was anal about me doing side work, and my second encouraged it. The first wouldnt let me take any thing that was his and the second would let me take any thing as long as it came back in the same shape it was lent out in. He would charge me a little for the big stuff, like the chipper and chip truck. When I went out on my own, I would never do that. The position that I still feel strongly about today is that no matter what, if they break something that is yours, they will never compensate you for it. This will lead to problems and can and will turn friends into enemies. The last time I loaned out a saw, i was 18 or 19, and it came back duller than Ive seen a saw to date. Id rather piss someone off by tellin em' no, than to piss em' off by rippin em' a new one when they bring my gear back F'ed up. Ive even told my X brother en law, a 30 year asplunhd ticket crew vet, trained by my old man, to piss off when he wanted to borrow a saw for a side job. He didnt talk to me for 2 months, but I had to stick to my desicion.

Yep your a hypocrit, you got where you are now because people helped you do side jobs and now you wont help others, even family.

Its just gear, I work as hard as anyone and pay twice or 3 times the price you do for the gear I have.
Im careful who I lend stuff to but I just hand it to them and when they grab it I say "this is a XXXX dollar piece of gear, its mine and Ive worked hard for it, you wreck it, you own it, you understand?" And dont let go until they have looked you in the eye, agree and know your serious. Or you sell them a chain to go with the saw and say you will buy it back depending on its condition.
Alot of my gear has come back in better condition that when it left, other things have been worked out.
It might not make fiscal sence but when has being a good human being been profitable?

I will admit that I am probably to generous to be a good businessman!

Heres a question, who here HASNT done any sidework?

Last edited:
And to turn this discussion backwards.

What if one of your crew lets you use a piece of equipment he owns (and you don't and you don't really need it, but makes your job soooo much easier and efficient), whether it be small (hand tool) or large (ATV). And it's in the self interest of the crew member because it makes his job easier. How do you handle it?

Yep your a hypocrit, you got where you are now because people helped you do side jobs and now you wont help others, even family.

I will admit that I am probably to generous to be a good businessman!

That has nothing to do with how I got to where I am, and I didnt lend my bro in law the saw cuz I had a feeling he was gonna pawn it for booze. And next time your feeling generous remember that your in buisness to make money, or to make people happy, and you cant(or very seldom)do both.

That has nothing to do with how I got to where I am, and I didnt lend my bro in law the saw cuz I had a feeling he was gonna pawn it for booze. And next time your feeling generous remember that your in buisness to make money, or to make people happy, and you cant(or very seldom)do both.

I do both, well so far I have managed it. I SUCK as a businessman though. I do jobs for war vets or elderly for less or sometimes free, I have stayed WAY overtime on a quoted jobs because my lab is having a great time with there kids, I do jobs on the cheap just because I love the tree, I get people to pay charitys instead of me on some small jobs, the other day I spent 3 hours on a quote in a garden because the elderly client fell over and hit her head and I didnt want to leave her alone, I try to chalk it up to karma of sorts. (but im also one of those avenging types with people that cross me, im no angel)

Im in business because I got sick of working for pricks and having clients let down by the screw ups of my boss and that I needed the challenge as I need to work my ass off to keep out of trouble. I also wanted the freedom to do the jobs I wanted, how I wanted and buy the gear I wanted.

If your bil was likely to pawn it then thats all fine, screw him and the horse he rode in on!

Timber.....you're 'crazy' man.........and I like you more all the time. Good posting! It doesn't always have to be about money.

'Going into business for myself so I don't have to work for jerks' dittos, brother!:cheers:

lend? Lend? LEND?! O M G ! First of all... oh nevermind but I will note this: You can borrow my tools if I can %$#@... like I said, nevermind.
Sure if it was something at thier own residence but then I would just probably help them out anyway but that's about it. I would never think to borrow my employers tools in the fashion mentioned.
Once I saw this guy borrow a 4x4 hub socket which he broke and tried to weld back together, he gave it back like that, was locked in a bathroom and had bottle rockets shot under the door for about ten minutes at him. There was no place to hide in there.

lMAO! I'm with The Dan!!!

I do both, well so far I have managed it. I SUCK as a businessman though. I do jobs for war vets or elderly for less or sometimes free, I have stayed WAY overtime on a quoted jobs because my lab is having a great time with there kids, I do jobs on the cheap just because I love the tree, I get people to pay charitys instead of me on some small jobs, the other day I spent 3 hours on a quote in a garden because the elderly client fell over and hit her head and I didnt want to leave her alone, I try to chalk it up to karma of sorts. (but im also one of those avenging types with people that cross me, im no angel)

Im in business because I got sick of working for pricks and having clients let down by the screw ups of my boss and that I needed the challenge as I need to work my ass off to keep out of trouble. I also wanted the freedom to do the jobs I wanted, how I wanted and buy the gear I wanted.

If your bil was likely to pawn it then thats all fine, screw him and the horse he rode in on!

Dude, I like your style. I really hope it all comes back to you in spades some day.

I have to say, I really could have wrote this. I have helped alot of people for free or just good karma. I have done it with my crew and they even asked why I didn't take any $? I am older then the guys working for me and just let them know there is more to life then $... The rewards are far greater than a few bucks sometimes. When bidding jobs if we complete early they still get the full $. I also buy the breakfast and lunch most times. In return when I have asked to work when it was bitter cold or African hot they show up and work. I feel very blessed that I can do what I do and have the effect which has been very positive on their lives. bob

Side Work

When I lived in Boston I worked every saturday. got paid cash, whether i worked 1 hour or 8, but I never worked more then 7 hours. It was SWEET. The guy i worked for was a really nice guy, super understanding and would let me borrow what ever I wanted. All was great until I saw the Hartney truck in Harvard square one saturday morning with the manager and a foreman of mine. The manager gave me #### for weeks after. I thought it was bull, I mean if someone wants to make an etra buck then go for it. If your selling yourself on the bosses time, that a different story. I also used to sell plantings and landscape work when i worked for a retail nursery, but they didnt do that sort of work.
So the way I see it, to each his own, but no boss will ever tell me not to work weekends if he doesnt have work for me.

speaking of side work......just walked in from pine #2. did the first one yesterday after work.

tomorrow i swing by both places and chip them up. should be about 3hrs total of chipping and driving. so at about 6hrs of good climbing and tomorrow's chipping i'll have put in about 9 or so hours of side work this week for 15hunge.

i might be dead ass tired but i wont need to go near the paycheck this week!

You know I started out doing side work so Im not going to say its bad but the way its going its making for a lot of unexpected compotion and right now thats not what we need.

Nothing wrong with side work, just don't use me gear or trucks.

I did it in the past wth someone elses gear sure.
And if I had got caught I would of took what I had coming.
Cheetos-1.gif

The guy I started out working for told me after a couple of years of working for him that if I wanted to go it on my own he would wish me the best and hope that he served me well as a teacher. I did go it alone on my own side jobs and he even helped me with equipment sometimes ,for a small fee,usually climb a job for him and I could use what ever I needed to do my side job.

I also worked for a company where I was working with a more experienced climber and learning from him. We went out with a 3-4 man crew during the week but the owner would always have a small job for me and Henry (the more experienced climber) to do on Saturdays. It was never mentioned outright but the deal was me and Henry were allowed to do our small job quickly then go do one on our own if we could hustle it. The owner new what we were doing. It was kind of like a bonus to us for working hard 6 days a week.

I tell anybody that works with me the same thing the first guy I worked for told me. If they think they can make it on their own then I will wish them the best. I did that with the crew I worked with last year until I found out they were trying to advertise and work in my name as well as claim my insurance. Now they set around with long faces because I work without them. Not good to bite the hand that feeds you.

I think from a professional stand point this is a definite conflict of interest do not bite the hand that feeds you. They probably get work from referrals while on your jobs. I have learned most people are out for them.

I have never had a bit of trouble out of these guys in five years, there not perfect, they've been late a few times, disagreement or two but at the end of the day they had always respected me as their boss. They run the jobs the way i want them ran, and in return I feel that I take good care of them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I just hate to let somebody go when Ive never had to talk to them about this.(Who knows how many times its happened)If letting them go is the only option,its the only option

I have let guys take home equipment for use on their own property once or twice, but they have to ask permission for it. Why don't you confront them, let them know you are aware and your position. If they are in fact good employees, they will respect your thoughts and likely make a better relationship going forward. Also will understand why you are not letting equipment go home any longer. It is a bit of a tough situation, but I think that may be best course of action to take.

Back