Sighting In A Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was sure I had this tree aimed between the two trees on the left.
252875d1347667782-ppthinfenceday0001-jpg

I used the sight on my saw and thought I had it gunned to the left. Do I need to adjust the sights on my saw? Is that what the little screw thingie on the bottom of the saw is for? It looks like I'm pulling to the right a bit.

View attachment 252875

Last edited:
There's more. I had to go answer the phone.

While I was in the saw shop, there were several pro fallers dropping off saws and whining about not working due to hootowl conditions, and they had marks like this on their saws.
252876d1347668491-p9140072-2-jpg

252877d1347668499-p9140073-2-jpg

One guy even enhanced his sights with flagging.
252878d1347668507-p9140075-2-jpg

View attachment 252876View attachment 252877View attachment 252878

Is this some kind of fad? Is GOL (Game of Logging) promoting this method of sighting in?

Last edited:
Seriously, you shouldn't adjust your sights until you can consistantly group your shots. Go cut down some more first. BTW doesn't your Stihl have that line all the way around the top and sides? If so, it is going to be pretty hard to adjust. On my old MACs all you have to do is twist the recoil cover a click or two. Ron

You need the Stihl Sightmaster 45219. They are extremely rare and expensive. I have one I can sell...errr.....trade for.......hmmmmm.......remember something about................... not so good for you cookies................................ and pie.

Those V-shaped gunning marks must mean that the saw belongs to some apprentice faller. Instead of a dead-on gun they give him some leeway....as in..."just get it anywhere in the zone, kid. We'll work on accuracy later."

Any of the rest of you ever try that?

Seems what helped me get the gunning lines on my saw lined up was practice.

If I haven't been in the woods a while, it takes a couple of trees for the kinks to get worked out.

Those V-shaped gunning marks must mean that the saw belongs to some apprentice faller. Instead of a dead-on gun they give him some leeway....as in..."just get it anywhere in the zone, kid. We'll work on accuracy later."

Any of the rest of you ever try that?

A few years ago, guys all started painting the handles of their falling axes, orange. Then they all started wearing those "faller's suspenders". I'm wondering if the flagging and marking of where they think the sightline is, is a new trend? And how do they know it is in the right place without and adjustment? Is this something the state safety people came up with??

A few years ago, guys all started painting the handles of their falling axes, orange. Then they all started wearing those "faller's suspenders". I'm wondering if the flagging and marking of where they think the sightline is, is a new trend? And how do they know it is in the right place without and adjustment? Is this something the state safety people came up with??

I don't think so. The orange ax handles made it easier to find the pieces after the Cat ran over it. The faller's suspenders are part of the caste system. If a landing rat shows up wearing them he gets a quick lesson in fashion and style.

I really think those big V shaped gunning sites are for a rookie who's just breaking in. One of the old timers probably put those on there special for him. A training aid as it were.

Think of the leeway there...ten or twenty feet either side of center depending on the height of the tree. I figure a lot of the guys on here who are teaching themselves to fall could use an idea like that.

From what I have gleaned from this woodcuttin' thang so far, it seems like it goes something like this:

Cut (aim?), drop, rinse, repeat.

Do that 150 times a day BEFORE you decide to post it up on YouTube. (And for more than just a couple of days). For the newBs, I suggest doing this in some place other than the urban forest.

Back