Signs Winter is right around the corner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier

ArboristSite Operative
Winter is closing in quick guys, I drive by Gateway Terminal in New Haven almost daily and took these pics today of 2 huge D-8 size dozers pushing the piles of salt way, way up to the sky.

The pics really do not show the scale of the dozers to the salt pile, just such a mountain of white, expensive road salt.

So the cold will be here soon, get the wood ready for a long, chilly winter

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 219
ncstihler

ncstihler

ArboristSite Lurker
My grandpa had a D8 when I was younger. That thing was huge! The pile must be massive. How is the pile in comparison to years past? I keep hearing it's going to be a cold, nasty winter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

chucker

chucker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
their worried here in Minnesota, with a huge shortage of road salt for the coming winter! one of the local boob-tube channels stated that the price of salt was to triple from last season (was 70.00 a ton) to as high as 240.00 a ton this year? how can this be with the saltiest lake on earth at ."SALT LAKE CITY , UTAH.....????? ! must be the price of shipping ? or is that slipping. lol

philoshop

philoshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Friend of mine got a deer yesterday and there was at least an inch of fat on its back, just like last year. Not usually a good sign for the coming winter.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Well, my sign is the weather guessers say mid 30s saturday night....I think today is the last day to see 80s, then whammo, starts cooling off fast, with rain and mud season starting.

Bring in a bucket of kindling scraps today...

mga

wandering
Winter is closing in quick guys, I drive by Gateway Terminal in New Haven almost daily and took these pics today of 2 huge D-8 size dozers pushing the piles of salt way, way up to the sky.

The pics really do not show the scale of the dozers to the salt pile, just such a mountain of white, expensive road salt.

So the cold will be here soon, get the wood ready for a long, chilly winter

road salt....ugh.....eats every thing up from cars and trucks to bridges, not to mention how many tons are dumped into streams and lakes.

sure wish they'd ban that crap.

slowp
Big acorn drop - short brown band on the wooly bear. Yup, the signs are all there.;)View attachment 371588 View attachment 371589

That wooley bear looks exactly like the ones here have for years. The extended forecast is for a warmer drier winter here. So, why do the wooley bears look the same? :popcorn::eek:
I live in a mild, cool climate. I do think it got down to 19 above last year. That's chilly for Western Warshington.

nathon918

nathon918

Addicted to ArboristSite
road salt....ugh.....eats every thing up from cars and trucks to bridges, not to mention how many tons are dumped into streams and lakes.

sure wish they'd ban that crap.
it isnt as bad as the calcium chloride they spray on the roads along with spreading salt/sand like they do around here.
i also HATE the newer trend around here where if theres not more than 3-4 inches of snow on the road they just sand it instaed of plowing first, and it just makes for a giant slushy mess.
but my favorite is the state hires contractors to plow the highways which is fine, but for the last 5 years or so, these same contractors are being hired to plow the same 30 mile stretch of highway, but they plow it with 3/4 or 1 ton pickup trucks...like 6-8 pickups to plow a 2 lane highway at 15MPH with no room between trucks to pass. they also dont even drop the plow to the ground, they leave it up an inch or two or else they would be changing the cutting edge 2 times in each direction
WTF happened to (2) 10 wheel trucks with wing plows and able to sand the road at the same time?:dizzy:

CWME

ArboristSite Guru
Silly question but why do you lot need all this salt

Because we have a society that refuses to take responsibility for anything and that includes studded snow tires and driving to match the conditions. We have to dump a mess of salt onto the roads so that suzie Q soccer mom can get billy to practice on time and not have to leave the house early or bother to equip the car with tires that are not bald. Disgusting to watch the news the first few storms every year. Cars in ditches or stuck on hills with the tires spinning like mad. Stupid. Trees along the roads are dead too. We have had TWO fatalities within 400 yards of my driveway due to trees coming down in the roads causing accidents. Lets not start in about my 2002 Chevy 4X4 that has 80K miles and is a rusted piece of junk now. No matter what I did I could not stop the cancer on the frame. Anyway.... I am with mga, ban the use of the stuff.

Latest posts