Silence is Golden......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bikepilot said:
The "black hole" mufler looks exactly like the one that came stock on my old KDX200. Made virtually no noise, but very heavy.

I was thinking the same thing but I think he said it came off of a 250 CRM which may be even quieter than your KDX.

When I first picked up the black hole, I just about strained my back!

That sucker is HEAVY, double walls and all, it KILLS sound.

Yes it is off a Honda CRM 250, which is a street legal enduro type of 2-smoke that did not make it outside of Japan, officially anyways.

I'm off to the wood lot!

Cheers!

Stu, try this once, we had an older lady who lived next to the gun club who would call the police and complained about the noise a lot. That went on until I started to send her flowers on the holidays and her birthday. She stopped complaining. Is the wood worth having a few flowers delivered? It sometimes works on the complaining neighbors when the chipper has to be run all day next to their house on the jobsite.

Stu in Tokyo said:
When I first picked up the black hole, I just about strained my back!

Yes it is off a Honda CRM 250, which is a street legal enduro type of 2-smoke that did not make it outside of Japan, officially anyways.

I'm off to the wood lot!

Cheers!

Last time I was in Europe they were everywhere so I think it's just North America that got screwed out of a very cool machine. A friend of mine here snuck one in and it's the best. Street legal, well sort of, CR250's rule!
John...

Come on Stu....

How did you go on? By my reckoning the US and Hoser boys are at least 4 hours behind me and you're 9 hours in front.

Just got into the L shop, I'm still covered in sawdust :D

Things went well, the saw ran fine, but was hard to start (15 to 20 pulls each time) once going it cut like a champ.

I got some REALLY nice Sakura (Cherry) and one piece of NICE Akagashi (Japanese Evergreen Oak) with more of that to come.

Ran out of time, I don't want to run the saw when the whole crew is setting down for lunch, as their lunch hut it right next to where I'm milling the logs, and they take a hour lunch, so I work until noon and then call it quits for the day.

The saw is MUCH quieter, how much? well, it is safe to say the chain and intake noise are louder than the exhaust :eek:

I asked the foreman guy how it was, he said "I dunno, were you running the saw?" :D

Pics later!!

PS I was smelling burning rubber, as that muffler joint kind of heated up, but it is still there holding on, so I guess it survived!

Pics later!

geofore said:
Stu, try this once, we had an older lady who lived next to the gun club who would call the police and complained about the noise a lot. That went on until I started to send her flowers on the holidays and her birthday. She stopped complaining. Is the wood worth having a few flowers delivered? It sometimes works on the complaining neighbors when the chipper has to be run all day next to their house on the job-site.

Different culture over here.

Here, in Japan, if I give you a present, then you are obligated to give me one back, usually at a slightly lesser value than the one you received.

So if I gave the old busy body a present, she would resent me (not to my face of course) for giving here a present. I've actually seen this at work with the MILFH, she received a present from a person she did not really care for, and then she had to reciprocate, and she was POed about it.

Anyways, it looks like the old CRM muffler did the job.

Cheers!

Video of the saw and mill in action........ right click and save I guess.

7.5 Mb.....

The chain needed sharpening, and the muffler really started to smoke at the end, that is the Muffler smoking, not the saw. Old oil filled muffler heated up, starts to smoke....:D

I guess I'll have to clean it out.

Cheers!

Great story and thread, Stu and all!!!

Sprig, back in 67, just as I was graduating high school and returning the the USof Eh, my dad bought a house on the water just south of Sidney..great view of James Island, other Gulf Islands and Mt. Baker.

Now that shake bolt cutting and stealing is passe, the new thing is figured maple theft. I've heard the muffler into water trick is still in use....

Thanks RBtree.

If you have bothered to look at the video, can you tell me how you think the saw is running?

I get a nice tan colored plug, and it seems to 4-stroke under load a bit. The thing I need to do more is sharpen the chain, it was getting dull, and I should have stopped to sharpen it, but I was lazy...:blush:

Give me some feed back if you can.

Cheers!

Hi Stu,

Another BC boy here. Live in Victoria and have an acerage and summer place on Saturna Island. I am in the process of doing all the flooring in our summer place in fir that I have been milling from our property. Doing it in wide plank face nailed and glued style. It is turning out quite well and looks very rustic, exactly what we are after.

Your chain may dull quickly especially if the trees have been dragged/rolled through the dirt. Being that you are milling mostly hardwoods, I wouldn't hesitate to touch up the loop every cut or two.

To me the saw sounds good and if the plug is a light tan colour after the muffler mods you completed, to me that indicates that the saw is tuned at least in the right ball park. Others may be able to offer you better advice.

If you need anything to keep that saw of yours running, I live very close to Alf Beckers in Victoria who are a Husky dealer and have been very helpful in fing parts for my two old Huskys. They have been in business for over 40 years and have quite a large inventory of older parts.

What projects do you have planned for the wood? It would be interesting to see the grain/figure in some of those planks. I hope that you are carefully stacking and stickering the wood. It would be a shame if you lost some of that hard won wood to twisting, etc.

Keep us posted, it is very interesting.:D

Mike

Stu in Tokyo said:
Thanks RBtree.

If you have bothered to look at the video, can you tell me how you think the saw is running?

I get a nice tan colored plug, and it seems to 4-stroke under load a bit. The thing I need to do more is sharpen the chain, it was getting dull, and I should have stopped to sharpen it, but I was lazy...:blush:

Give me some feed back if you can.

Cheers!

Sounds like it was running just fine to me. Great video, and nice slab!

Stu, Great job on the saw. What is the displacment of the saw? I know you noted it before but i searched for it and coudl not find it. Also are you running a ripping chain? Did you make changes to a regulat chain or is it just a stock chain.

Hey, thanks for the video, really enjoyed it. Turned out a good looking board and the old Husky sounded great. By the looks of the saw dust you have been there before. I run a Husky 385XP for felling logs, the first Husky I have owned, but it won't be the last. Thanks for the threads; we have the whiners and complainers here too, must be a world wide thing not pretaining to cultures

Thanks guys!!

Mike, I'd love to see some pics of your flooring, I know exactly the type of thing you are doing, and I have to say, when it is done right, it looks VERY nice. Must be a really cool feeling to be putting down a floor from wood from your own land, way cool! Most of us have moved really far from anything even slightly homemade nowadays.

The logs are a bit dirty, can't be helped, but they have not been "Dragged" in the dirt. I check them over with my metal detector, I've found 3 nails so far, and I brush them off to get rid of the dirt, that I can. This wood is HARD, the Sakura is really, really HARD, I guess I should spend more time on the chain.

Mike also thanks for the offer of parts etc, let's hope I don't have to take you up on it, but I'll keep you in mind!!

Stacking and stickering I'm doing, I'm also in the planning stages of a solar kiln for my rooftop. I've got some ideas of things I'd like to build, but my lovely wife has a list :eek:

rhj245, the chain is a stocker that I reground to a ripping chain, the saw is 85cc and being an older saw (circa 1976) it runs the chain speed a bit slower than newer saws, but this give me more torque, or so the theory goes, I don't have a newer saw to compare it too. If the chain is sharp, the saw cuts very well!

Lakeside, thanks for the confirmation the saw is running well, sounds like it to me too, but to hear from you, with all your experience confirms what I had thought (hoped?)!!

Dingo, yes, that was the 3rd log I'd milled in that spot, nice to move them to the same spot each time if you can, that way the sawdust makes a nice landing for your knees as your (in my case) waddle along :D

Cheers!

UPDATE!!!!!!!

2006 Wood Lot Page!!
I made some mods to the Tokyo Log Hog chainsaw mill, and today, Jan 10th, 2006, I had the BEST day yet, the wood I got is REALLY nice....

jan_10th_1st_2.jpg

here are two of the flitches I got from the last of the pieces I cut last week,
this is the Akagashi, there is a lot of figure, as I think this tree was sick from bugs etc,
like most of the trees on this property. The family that had this land, did not bother taking care of the trees.

jan_10th_1st_2_closeup.jpg

A close up of the Akagashi, some highly figures interesting wood for sure.

Now I'm on to the next donor...
next_donor1.jpg

This too is Akagashi, and this one just got uprooted the other day, so the wood is really fresh.

next_donor2.jpg

Not the best location, but I'll make it work. I'm cutting the pieces at 150 cm (5 feet) as that is a good size to move around,
and that length just fits into my little van.

little_makita_that_could.jpg

For cross cutting I've got this little Makita 100V electric saw, the bar is only 30 cm long (12")
so it is a bit of a struggle to cut these bigger trees, and it takes some time. I'm shopping for a 40 cm electric (16")

little_makita_2nd_cut.jpg

second_log.jpg

You can see I had to stack some rocks etc so I could make the 3rd cut, I also dug a hole so the log would not bind the saw as I finished.
I then got the new and improved Tokyo Log Hog out (Mark II) and made some more cuts

guide_board1.jpg

I rolled the log over to my cutting area, (soft saw dust to kneel in!!),
and put the guide board on top, takes two 6 cm long screws to secure it.

guide_board2.jpg

I've got my space all cleared up, ready to go.

jan_10th_work_b.jpg

This is the take for the day, not bad if you ask me!!! They are all around 150 cm long and some are near 40 cm wide,
these would make great table tops!

jan_10th_truck_load.jpg

My poor little truck, thank goodness I'm just around the corner form my house!

tomorrows_log_a.jpg

This one is waiting for me tomorrow!!

here is a link to the new and improved Tokyo Log Hog doing it's thing. (7.24 Mb)

Awesome thread Stu. Keep up the good work! I see you switched from the big black muffler to the smaller silver one. It sounded like the silver muffler was quieter. How do the two compare decibel-wise?

Dang, Stu, this IS one interesting thread! Well, series of threads - you went from "how can I get this thing runnng!!??" to a van full of fresh planks! I applaud your perseverance (yes, I took the time to LOOK IT UP insted of just laying a "sp?" on it, as this is a WRITTEN medium in which we should command the English language, but that's another thread altogether...), ingenuity, and a host of other big words. Way to go, man.

Back