Silver maples dying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The neighbor's on both sides of me have silver maples that I think are doomed. My silver maple is covered with new leaves, and just a few pods. Their trees are probably 90% pods. Last year their trees had loads of pods, but nothing like this year. I know the one neighbor's tree is infested with carpenter ants, to the point where there is a hole at the base with the tell-tale "sawdust" coming out. There is also an old scar near the base that has a small hole in it as well. When I knock on it, it sounds hollow. The neighbor on the other side probably has them as well, but I'm not sure to what extent. (I know they've already done damage to the walls and ceiling in her house.) However, the real problem may have started about 2 years ago when we had a severe drought. That would have been bad enough, but my one neighbor's tree has the driveway on one side (about 4 feet away), her house on another side (~5 feet away). My other neighbor has her tree about 4 feet from her house. My tree is about 3 feet from the driveway. The difference is, during the drought, I punched holes in the yard about 2 feet deep using a long-handled screw driver. I did this about 12-14 feet from the base of the tree. Then I set out a soaker hose, 1-2x/week, and let it run about ~4 hrs. I told my neighbors I would rather have dead grass instead of a dead tree.
My question is--are these trees doomed? And when should I start worrying about them falling on my house/car? These trees are about 40 yrs old, and fairly close to houses, power lines, etc.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Both neighbors are older women (70 & 83), and they won't pay for an expert to evaluate their trees.

Thanks

carpenter ants do not eat live wood. They may disrupt live cells during the course of their business but never to an extent that causes injury to the tree. They are not the problem.

We need pictures of the tree. Include the area where the trunk meets soil.

Here are some pics of the first neighbor's tree:

This first one shows both our trees as a comparison.
View attachment 70942

This pic shows one of the main branches, covered in pods. Yes, that is another large branch shooting straight up.
View attachment 70943

This pic shows the tree relative to the house, driveway, sidewalk...
View attachment 70944

This pic shows more branches, covered in pods.
View attachment 70945

Ok, so I know this isn't a maple, but this is my other headache, courtesy of the neighbor behind me. It started dying off last year, branch-by-branch.
View attachment 70949

Notice how the main trunk splits into 3, pretty close to the base.
View attachment 70950

Just curious...if this falls on someone's house, is the tree-owner responsible? He obviously knows it's dead.

Here's a full size pic of #1 tree. It's going to be pretty bare once the pods fall off.
View attachment 71078

I think our region is going to lose alot of trees this year. There are quite a few trees that look much worse than this.

Back