Silvey #510 grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancher2

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Before I ask the question some background. I know lots of people use files to sharpen chains I do also. I have a old foley 308 I got used years ago and it has served me well. It is time for a new toy. So I did a lot of reading on here and other places. The Silvey line of grinders keep coming to the top. Yes I know they are high priced but I come to the age I don't mind spending money for good tools. So I call Warren at Madens just to find out the folks that made the Silvey got old and quite. Has anyone bought or used a Simington grinder. Looking for ideas. Might be time to have a machinest friend try his hand at making a grinder. Thanks for the help.

There's quite a few of the timber cutters out west that use simington grinders. Very comparable to silvey swing arms. The simington grinder is for square ground only so if you want a round grinder then you'll have to go Oregon or Stihl.

Before I ask the question some background. I know lots of people use files to sharpen chains I do also. I have a old foley 308 I got used years ago and it has served me well. It is time for a new toy. So I did a lot of reading on here and other places. The Silvey line of grinders keep coming to the top. Yes I know they are high priced but I come to the age I don't mind spending money for good tools. So I call Warren at Madens just to find out the folks that made the Silvey got old and quite. Has anyone bought or used a Simington grinder. Looking for ideas. Might be time to have a machinest friend try his hand at making a grinder. Thanks for the help.

I have never used a simington but there are used silveys around mine is about 8 years old with no problems. i sharpen 20-30 chains a week. changing the wheel is kind of a pain on the silvey i keep it setup for 3/8 and 404 and an oregon for 325. Once you use the silvey you wont want the oregon,there is no comparison. But they are pricey if you are only doing your own chains

Silveys

I am a pro cutter and am also looking for a good used Silvey set-up. Does any one remember a grinder by the name of Zieglemeyer ? I might have the spelling wrong.

There's more square grinders out there than 510s it seems like.

Back