single skip in saw chain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodheater500

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had some 76 drive link PXL_20220217_204015026.jpgOregon exl chains made up for some 22" bars I had. They put the preset tie links where a cutter would be, rather than next to a cutter. Is that normal? Is there a higher potential of kickback when making a borecut now that there is a 3 link skip in that part of the full comp chain, or will I not notice anything?

There is a local Stihl dealer nearby that has done essentially that to me twice over the years. It is not at all to my liking, the first time I went back and got him to put a cutter in instead of a skip, the second time I just shortened the chain for another bar. I have never had a pre made loop like in a package come that way. They may just start with the first drive link and count out 76 and that is their policy. Or it is easier to break the chain or fit their fingers in the spinner and do it on purpose. Look how far the two cutters pointing the same way are. 7 pitch increments vs 3 normally. that first cutter after the gap will dull fast and if it was a carbide chain possibly fracture.

Oregon may not even want splicing on a cutter. They have videos about how to change out a butterfly of the cutter and a link on each side as opposed to just spinning the splicing link on the cutter. They seem to have removed the pdf files about the chain models with the part numbers for right and left cutter and splicing pieces.

Hmmm, maybe I'll give it try and then decide....I may be turning all 8 of them into 72 link 20"ers on my own.

Back