Six different carbs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samaritan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was at the Stihl dealer today to buy a carb kit for my ms251c, he asked what numbers were on it, and said that there are six different carbs for that saw, does that make sense? and are they interchangeable?, he didnt seem to know, he said he needed to match the numbers on my carb to the right kit. I threw the old one away, and got one from Amazon to replace it, the saw wont run, the metering gasket looked bad, so now im looking for the right one. Im gonna replace it and hope it runs.

I was at the Stihl dealer today to buy a carb kit for my ms251c, he asked what numbers were on it, and said that there are six different carbs for that saw, does that make sense? and are they interchangeable?, he didnt seem to know, he said he needed to match the numbers on my carb to the right kit. I threw the old one away, and got one from Amazon to replace it, the saw wont run, the metering gasket looked bad, so now im looking for the right one. Im gonna replace it and hope it runs.
@HarleyT

Throwing away the carb is usually a mistake.
So is throwing out the gaskets and diaphragms before getting the replacement kit, one needs the old ones to check against the new assortment of bits to make sure the replacements match the originals exactly.

So is throwing out the gaskets and diaphragms before getting the replacement kit, one needs the old ones to check against the new assortment of bits to make sure the replacements match the originals exactly.
I keep them for the part/pieces/screws,etc.. If you lose a tiny screw, you have to pay through the nose to get another one.

I keep them for the part/pieces/screws,etc.. If you lose a tiny screw, you have to pay through the nose to get another one.
In more than 60 years I have been wrenching I have yet to throw a carb away unless it was attached to a plastic fantastic POS, then the whole saw goes away.

images

I would keep the magazines longer than the POS plastic saws, they have come in with broken off screws that hold the carb on, owner wanted me to drill the screw out and rethread, not gonna happen, broke off screws that hold the muffler or stripped out threads, more costly to fix than purchase another.

I would keep the magazines longer than the POS plastic saws, they have come in with broken off screws that hold the carb on, owner wanted me to drill the screw out and rethread, not gonna happen, broke off screws that hold the muffler or stripped out threads, more costly to fix than purchase another.
You sound bitter......

I really don't think it matters on that particular saw. If the first four numbers are correct it will work fine, regardless of how many variations they show.

Now, the MS250 on the other hand is truly a can of worms. The adjustment screws are in at least three different places and if wrong will not line up with the holes in the housing to get to them. Then they put a nipple on some for a purge pump just to make it more confusing.
I see they put a purge pump on some of MS251's also. Oh, well.
Narrow that down to purge pump or no.

Latest posts

Back