Size fits most?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D&B Mack

D&B Mack

Sawin Wit It!
So, some of us weekenders where having a discussion about what the perfect log diameter is for processing into firewood. Obviously, if I still had my TW-7, the bigger-the better. But I now prefer 12" diameter, easy to handle and provides nice splits. Some of the guys like larger like 30" because they like the more wood per round; I think they are too much of a PITA to move around. For me, I quarter them with the hydraulic, then throw them on the kinetic to downsize. A friend of mine likes 6", splits one time and done.

What say you?

srb08

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
By myself, I prefer 12"-15" rounds. Easy to handle and move around.
With a helper, 16"-24" seems to produce more splits faster.
Anything over 24" is a PITA. Too hard to move into position and hold there.
I use a hydraulic splitter in the vertical position.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
I think you get a lot more long term generational growth if you can wait and take real big ones.

If I was using a splitter I would like anything that would give me four perfect splits per round, or 8, whatever splitter I had. So ya, 12 for a smaller one and 4 way..I dunno on an 8 way, no idea really. I can envision a 4 way but an 8 way would leave goofy sized splits, big and wide. Seems like they could be resplit again, don't know though, only seen vids of them. I do notice firewood for sale tends to be real large splits, larger than I like them. I use unsplit branch rounds and crotches if I want larger chunks.

I hand split and don't care, i actually enjoy the work and results from processing down a large tree, as I keep small branchwood to add to the split pile.

I have yet to see much difference in diameter of round when hand splitting as to difficulty. Anything large I either roll it in the tote box to get it back or if using the trailer and real big, quarter it or whatever and bring it back, then hand split. I slab off the outsides and work my way in all the time, so it could be 2 feet to ten feet, doesn't matter. Even rounds that have been quartered, I still restart on them from the outside in. I wouldn't as a rule try to mimic a mechanical splitter, too much work, work from the outside in and go round and around is MUCH easier than bashing down the middle and making pie splices like a mechanical splitter makes usually.

I get plenty of small diameter wood from branches and sapling thining.

Russ Melampy

Russ Melampy

ArboristSite Member
my wife and I agree (rare) that 12" is nice and easy, but I also like them in the 12-20" range, more of a variety of splits, some logs are easy some are heavier, etc.. I am running a northstar 37 ton with a 4 way wedge and so I prefer the larger rather than the little 5 or 6" rounds. If logs are too heavy (anything over @50 Lbs.) I noodle up, always have a saw near when splitting, and a fire for clean up and beer later...

FLHX Storm

FLHX Storm

ArboristSite Guru
Lost somewhere in the mountains of the southeast!
I really have no preference as for size of wood, but I will admit I appreciate the straight grained over the knotted twisted curly stringy or otherwise gnarly wood. I generally split all of my wood by hand but on occasion after I've tried at least a dozen times on some of the nastier rounds, if I still can't get it split, I'll resort to noodling.

Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Anything 2" and up is getting burned here, but if I had a choice, 10-16" stuff is the optimal size for me. Big enough to get some wood on the stack pretty quickly, but small enough for 1 guy to handle.

CWME

ArboristSite Guru
I dont care as long as it is free. If I were buying wood I would want it all under 16". But I scrounge my wood so I get what I get and am happy with that.

jhoff310

jhoff310

ArboristSite Guru
my max is whatever I can lift. I have come close to busting a nut on some 30" locust rounds. It was worth it but, it wouldn't have been if I blew leftie. I prefer the 20" range or so, get some nice splits out of them.

Jeff

c5rulz

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
my max is whatever I can lift. I have come close to busting a nut on some 30" locust rounds. It was worth it but, it wouldn't have been if I blew leftie. I prefer the 20" range or so, get some nice splits out of them.

Jeff

I'd like to see anyone pick up a 30" round of any hardwood.

Whitespider
I'd like to see anyone pick up a 30" round of any hardwood.

Heck, I can pick up a 30 inch round of anything... as long as it's only 3 inches long.
biggrin.gif