Size of firewood splits.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
regulate34

regulate34

ArboristSite Operative
Hi guys

Wondering what size you split your firewood to? Not the legenth you cut it. But when you are spliting.

Last season I went with the theory of "just small enough to fit threw the door of the stove.
The wife was complaining that they were too big for her to handle.

Also found that you couldn't really pack the stove. Needed smaller chunks to fit in the gap.

So this year I split everything smaller. The wife is happy. The wood shed stacked a lot tighter. I am sure their is more in their and less air gaps.

I split my wood down to aprox 4"x 3" chunks.

What is your guys theory on this?
Will the wood burn faster like a kindelng effect?

What size do you split your firewood.

chucker

chucker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
as a firewood dealer, I would say you are right on for size with most stoves! for myself everything is split to a 5x4" split as my door is 12"x14" a bit bigger than most....smaller splits stacked in the fire box will stack tighter with a longer burning effect than kindling ! what ever it takes to keep the wife happy and fueling the stove makes it right?? lol happy burning to your wife and more time cutting& splitting for you!!!

CTYank

CTYank

Peripatetic Sawyer
I've always gone for a mix of sizes, both of cross-section dimensions & length.

Smaller for startup, or maintaining a smaller fire. Or, packing the firebox for Jan. overnight.

Larger for longer burms or for lead-in to packing. Mixes are the way, IMHO.

brewmonster

brewmonster

ArboristSite Operative
When I'm splitting, I keep going until I have a piece that I can pick up with one hand. Some turn out to be smaller anyway, but that's my rule of thumb. Can't be bothered with measuring.

regulate34

regulate34

ArboristSite Operative
I don't measure either. Just went with what the wife was comfortable picking up. Turns out to be about 4". I am 6'4" and she is 5'4". I feel like I Grabing kindling. So what I can grab with one hand. She needs a warm up and to lift with her legs.

Marshy

Marshy

285 Killa
I've pondered the same question many times. What I've learned over the years is a healthy mix is required. If they are too big (>6x6) for my wife they get put aside until I stoke the stove.

The thing I learned about them being too small is they start to smolder and catch fire before I can fill the firebox. It drives me to shut the door before I have the firebox packed to my liking and usually shortens the burn time.

If it's mixed sizes I can fill the smaller gaps left from the larger chunks and fill the firebox in time before smoke starts to come out the door.

Once it's full heating season the stove burns 24/7 so no need to keep small kindling, I make it when needed. Add a splash of kerosene, lite and shut the door.

Fred Wright

Fred Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't measure either. Just went with what the wife was comfortable picking up. Turns out to be about 4". I am 6'4" and she is 5'4". I feel like I Grabing kindling. So what I can grab with one hand. She needs a warm up and to lift with her legs.

Our situation exactly. First year of working up firewood I made 'em too large and the SheWolf griped. She's got the Aurthur-ritus and can't manage them. So now I make sure to split wood with her in mind.

I still make up larger splits and slabs of soft wood like red maple. Maple seasons well in big splits anyhow and they last longer in the stove. The missus won't fuss with 'em ~ she calls 'em Fred logs ~ but I'll burn 'em when I'm at home. :)

Poindexter

Poindexter

ArboristSite Operative
I target splits with a max dimension of 4". I split over the winter, so everything is split stacked and covered on top already when the spring melt starts. Split that small I can count on getting down to 12-16% moisture content in one summer. Birch and spruce is all I have to work with up here. I know you guys down south can't season oak that fast.

Some pieces with knots in them just don't want to be split that small. Those I put on the sunny side of my stack. If they aren't dry in one season I turn them around and let Mr. Sun have his way with the other end of the same split for another year.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Your 3-4 inch is fine. I have a variety, but in good/great wood I try to make a bunch that size. Gnarly crap, if it splits at all, "fit in the door" size is good enough, all nighters, same if it has to be noodled. I'll just let em sit some years..... for small stuff I cut a ton of smalls so no need to split small, already got 'em by the wheelbarrow load.

haveawoody

haveawoody

Addicted to ArboristSite
For me I have a small woodstove and very well insulated house so the cuts tend to be one of 3 things.
Small stubbie splits 4"x4"x8" to start a fire log cabin sort of style with kindle in the middle and normal splits 4"x4"x16" across the stubbies.
I also make night blocks out of any wood that is painful to split (American elm, shagbark etc ) 14"x14"x16", keeps splitting already tough to split wood down to a minimum and putting one big block in before bed is an easy routine.

benp

Addicted to ArboristSite
For the fireplace 4"x6", for the boiler rounds up to 8" or splits minimum of 6"x up to 12".

Im in this similar camp regarding the boiler.

6" may or may or not get halved depending on if there is bark on or it's wet. 8" definitely gets halved and the big boys get quartered.

Here is a halfer.

F88650AA-0D59-4244-995B-7DA5D2E23FF6_zps8gmyqoze.jpg

Here are some quarters.
AB629C68-FD94-440F-8633-6AF6663E3229_zps6byjlq51.jpg

82FDE7A4-249A-4ACF-9368-0970F508C6B9_zpscp5dztqc.jpg

Latest posts