Skid Loader Grapple options?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What style of grapple is best suited for grabbing braches, etc. Pros or cons of each?

I've been using a grapple for almost 18 years. My first choice is a fork-style grapple (heavy duty) with independent closing grapples (two cylinders). I also own a single cylinder grapple and it's not nearly as versatile.

I like the smooth fork grapples (Bobcat Industrial Grapple). Very HD but the tines are smooth which allows me to dump the limbs without anything sticking or getting hung up. I've noticed that the closer the tines are on the forks, the more brush gets hung up in there. If you were picking up a lot of small stuff, ball moss, leaves, etc., then a grapple with tines spaced only a few inches apart would be preferable in my opinion.

We have the fork style grapple with 2 cylinders on a Kubota R520 its works great picking up logs and brush or even feeding the chipper.

Plowin-fire,

I have the exact one in your first picture, 60". I run it on a JD 7775 and it works great. I've used it for logs, stumps, brush, and grading fill dirt that contained roots, concrete etc.

You saw my grapple when you were over to my gtg last weekend. Google midsota and look at the heavy duty grapple. When I bought it I looked at a bunch of different ones and really liked this one best. Grandpa tractor and heavy fuel have this same one and have been using and abusing it for like 7 years and it is stiil going strong. They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for.

The first one is the type i use. I am going to sell the fabtech brand one i have, and buy a CID brand extreme hd grapple this coming year. It has a 42" opening.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The root rake you show in the second picture is more for pileing material. It wouldnt grapple as nice if you have to pick alot of stuff up. It is more so just for pushing.

I am going to be selling this grapple for around $700 soon.

attachment.php

You saw my grapple when you were over to my gtg last weekend. Google midsota and look at the heavy duty grapple. When I bought it I looked at a bunch of different ones and really liked this one best. Grandpa tractor and heavy fuel have this same one and have been using and abusing it for like 7 years and it is stiil going strong. They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for.

I agree about the one Andy has. :msp_thumbup:

Neighbor has an industrial Virnig that has held up well to him and a 287c Cat.

Get an industrial/heavy duty one and don't look back especially if you have a skidsteer with some poop behind it. :cool2:

Last edited:
The first grapple in the pictures would be much better. I prefer a smooth bucket grapple so that I can carry leaves and small twigs that we rack up at the end of the job without them falling through the tines. For feeding the chipper I prefer a rotating grapple such as the Branch manager or Beaver Squeezer. I have a Branch manager on my Boxer and feel it is invaluable. I have thought about a rotating grapple for the Bobcat but prefer the small machines for forwarding the limbs to the chipper. I feel that the small machines are easier on the properties than the larger Bobcat.

Charles

Not quite... Not sure I like the looks of the CID one. Seems like the clamps are spaced plenty far apart. And the bottom teeth are curved up which would make it hard for getting close to the ground. Not saying its a bad grapple, but I looked at a lot of options before purchasing....

It looks like you picked a good one, very stout. I agree about the tines being flat and not curved up, makes it much easier to get under logs. You get what you pay for with these things. A neighbor of mine bought a flimsy looking grapple for $1700 and I wouldnt give him $200 for it, very thin metal and cheaply made. These things sure take alot of the work out of getting firewood. What size machine are you running your new grapple on?

Not quite... Not sure I like the looks of the CID one. Seems like the clamps are spaced plenty far apart. And the bottom teeth are curved up which would make it hard for getting close to the ground. Not saying its a bad grapple, but I looked at a lot of options before purchasing....

The picture i posted is of a 84" wide grapple. The CID grapple weighs about 200lbs more then the one you got. As far as the tines curing up. It works alot better for picking stuff up. Well that is if you can run a skid loader worth a crap. Your tines are sloped down at the end. If you keep the grapple flat, but then your gonna cause all kinds of yard damage. But all i have to do is raise the boom slightly and uncurl and i can roll logs and brush right up into mine. If you were gonna pick up a log from the top by fully uncurling the grapple, the curved would pick up alot smaller of branches because you lose the first 4 inches to your taper.

i have been running good sized skidsteers and grapples for several years now. thousands of hours. anyway look into sidney manufacturing for the gorilla grapple. it will pick up large amounts of brush and withstand demo work as well. i need something i can mistreat and won't let me down. i have several of their attachments.

JoeView attachment 256941

Latest posts

Back