skid spray rig

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurdueJoe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pick up a skid mounted spray rig and am wondering what info everyone can give on brands and features. As of right now I've narrowed the search down to a 200-300 gallon tank, 300ft of hose with an electric hose reel. It will be used almost totally for deep root fertilization.

If you are using it for fertilizing, get the BIGGEST tank you can legally use. As far as the hose is concerned, 300ft is a bit of overkill... 200 +/- should be good enough for most properties. The electric reel is a darn good thing to have though. I'd say to go with a Honda engine, and make sure you have a good plan for filling it up. Also take into consideration storage on your vehicle, and perhaps being able to add a second, smaller tank to the rig in the future.

If you are using it for fertilizing, get the BIGGEST tank you can legally use. As far as the hose is concerned, 300ft is a bit of overkill... 200 +/- should be good enough for most properties. The electric reel is a darn good thing to have though. I'd say to go with a Honda engine, and make sure you have a good plan for filling it up. Also take into consideration storage on your vehicle, and perhaps being able to add a second, smaller tank to the rig in the future.

I have been dragging those hoses for 30 years. 300 feet is not overkill. I have properties 300 feet won't reach. To each his own on electric reels, I personally don't like them. My favorite setup is a 200 gallon tank on a long wheel base one ton flat bed. I have two of them. That way you have room for fert. guns, fill hoses, cases of fert., your big tool box you can lock and the like.

I have been dragging those hoses for 30 years. 300 feet is not overkill. I have properties 300 feet won't reach. To each his own on electric reels, I personally don't like them. My favorite setup is a 200 gallon tank on a long wheel base one ton flat bed. I have two of them. That way you have room for fert. guns, fill hoses, cases of fert., your big tool box you can lock and the like.

Why don't you like electric reels? I can't imagine winding up that much hose by hand.

If you are just root feeding, you should get away with spending a lot less than a unit that can spray 50' high. I'd still look hard at a unit with a diaphragm pump. You will pay a little more for it, but a roller pump will get torn up by fertilizers. I'd encourage you to call Sherrill. I have talked to the sprayer guy there a couple of times. Their units were a little bigger than I was looking for, but they may fit you quite well.

I ended up buying a 55 gallong unit from Northern Tool...though I did look hard at their 200 gallon one too. For $3000 that is a good sprayer. If you buy from them, look for the phone number on the instruction manual and order it direct. Saved me almost $200...I just called to ask a question about the specs, and they said something about ordering so I asked and it was cheaper than through the website...

Why don't you like electric reels? I can't imagine winding up that much hose by hand.

You have to stand there and feed the hose on the reel anyway or it will be a mess. If I have to do that that I had just as soon reel it in. I can reel in 300 feet of half inch so fast it would scare you.

The best tree fertilizers are water insoluble (nitrogen source only) and require mechanical tank agitation to keep in suspension. Selling soluble tree fertilizer injection is a ripoff in my opinion, you might as well throw it on the ground and water it in. (In fact, that is my usual recommendation to my customers)

Naturally, mechanical tank agitation is an expensive option. Look for an old FMC (John Bean) unit done with a stainless steel tank. All the parts to fix it will be available, and they will literally last forever.

My 500 gallon tank was new in 1984, and works as good as the day I bought it. It even has the same pump after 25 years of use, although it has been rebuilt any number of times.

Look for urea formaldehyde on the label, methylene urea, or IBDU. Here is a pretty good technical article on this topic: http://www.grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_food_turf_slowrelease/

I use a 100/100 gal tandem unit, with hydraulic agitation. Works well and I like the tandem tanks for various reasons. We use the same unit to spray and fert.

As far as hoses go, I would tend to get a 200' and keep a couple of 50' extensions around the yard for those jobs that require more.

Make sure the plumbing is set up for flexibility in how you can use the sprayer.

Latest posts

Back