skid steers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Krause

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
thinking about buying a skid steer to aid in large tree remoals, lot clearing,firewood handling, and maybe start getting into heavy brush mowing. if you have a skid steer, do you use it enough to justify owning it. is the damage to the turff worth bringing it out to a residential setting? tracks or tires? there are a lot of rocks around here, and it seems that the tracks might not hold up.any recomendations? thanks for any feed back.

Once you get comfortable with a skidsteer you can load, logs, grinds, firewood, ETC.. On lawns with tire driven machines with minimil damage. That said track machines are more turf friendly but not mandatory.

You can buy 4 wheel steering and that will alleviate turf damage. Tracks will leave a lighter footprint, but "skidding" either will damage the turf regardless. Here on the farm, we have a Gehl 6635, between 80-90 Hp and it is tough. Dont know how it would be for tree work though. With the grapple attachment I've all but lifted an entire black walnut tree off the ground.

You can buy 4 wheel steering and that will alleviate turf damage. Tracks will leave a lighter footprint, but "skidding" either will damage the turf regardless. Here on the farm, we have a Gehl 6635, between 80-90 Hp and it is tough. Dont know how it would be for tree work though. With the grapple attachment I've all but lifted an entire black walnut tree off the ground.

That is the same unit I have. With the grapple I can end load a 14ft 36in white pine log.

A skidsteer is the most useful tool a guy can own. I have a Bobcat 763F with 12 attachments, a 1 ton dump truck and trailer. I built 9 of the attachments myself. I can find a use for it in almost everything I do, I live in the country though, it may sit on your trailer more if you're a city guy.

Push snow.
DSCN0792.jpg

Split wood.
DSCN0789.jpg

Dig a stump.
DSCN1052.jpg

Shear a tree.
DSCN1037.jpg

Load and pull wagon home.
DSCN1568.jpg

Carry firewood.
DSCN1618.jpg

Pick a log.
DSCN1730.jpg

Plant a tree.
DSCN2508.jpg

Push a tree over.
DSCN2206.jpg

Load big logs.
DSCN2129.jpg

Pull trees.
DSCN2127.jpg

Load and pull the log bunk home.
DSCN0661.jpg

Auger holes.
DSCN1032.jpg

Carry stumps.
DSCN1053.jpg

Carry brush.
DSCN0896.jpg

Move trailers.
DSCN2507.jpg

Yes, they are the machine to have.

Pricey, but here is the best option...IMO

Get an A300 Bobcat. It has four wheel steering, and does not tear up the grass AT ALL. Should you decide that you need skid steering, flip a switch, and it acts exactly like the more common S300. Short of the track units, it is the largest capacity Bobcat made when I bought it.

We put the extra wide flotation tires on our unit, so that we could go into back yards and carry out 4 foot diameter sections of trees without tearing up any grass. It works very well for that purpose. Furthermore, it has a 12 mile-per-hour top speed, and is much faster than any other skid-steer machine while transporting from location to location. No crabbing, no hopping, no turf damage, and I still have the same tires after two years of use.

Obviously, this machine will operate all of the other Bobcat attachments you should choose to own.

I love it, but I wish someone made a miniature version for smaller jobs.

Get an A300 Bobcat. It has four wheel steering, and does not tear up the grass AT ALL. Should you decide that you need skid steering, flip a switch, and it acts exactly like the more common S300. Short of the track units, it is the largest capacity Bobcat made when I bought it.

We put the extra wide flotation tires on our unit, so that we could go into back yards and carry out 4 foot diameter sections of trees without tearing up any grass. It works very well for that purpose. Furthermore, it has a 12 mile-per-hour top speed, and is much faster than any other skid-steer machine while transporting from location to location. No crabbing, no hopping, no turf damage, and I still have the same tires after two years of use.

Obviously, this machine will operate all of the other Bobcat attachments you should choose to own.

I love it, but I wish someone made a miniature version for smaller jobs.

The A300 is the one that I want.

Nails, I like that carry firewood box attachment thing there alot. I have often thought of something like that for cleaning up rakings on those big jobs where there is alot of rakings to clean up and I have to make several trips over the lawn to get them out. Or just for firewood, something huge like that that fits right in the back of the one ton. Good idea.

My Dad has a JD240 I use that whenever I need it.Tracks are a plus but you don't need them. If you can afford them then I would say get them. A skidsteer IMO is the go to machine for any one that works outdoors and needs heavy equipment.You can use them for just about anything

Nails, I like that carry firewood box attachment thing there alot. I have often thought of something like that for cleaning up rakings on those big jobs where there is alot of rakings to clean up and I have to make several trips over the lawn to get them out. Or just for firewood, something huge like that that fits right in the back of the one ton. Good idea.

I use my grapple bucket for that type of thing, because it will move brush and logs too, but yeah, it you had a lot of rakings to move this might work good with a couple Mexicans pumpin the stuff in. That unit is made of old aluminum trailer ramps.

I have been thinking of selling my Bobcat 843B If any one is interested in a solid older machine. It looks just like the 763 Nails posted just a little bigger. It has a bucket, grapple, and small bachoe attachment that would go with it. Let me know if anyones interested.

Back