Skidder tongs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For those of you who use loaders when loading logs, do you keep a pair of skidder tongs around? Or are they a waste of money / time? I am thinking about purchasing the big one in the Sherrrill catalog for loading some big logs onto the back of a truck, however these logs are close to 40" in diameter and the range for the tongs only goes up to 32". Any input fellas?

Skidding tongs are different from lifting tongs.
What type of loader are you using and how heavy are the logs?

Last edited:
Where's your sign?

First, you can't pick up a 40" log with 32" tongs.
Secondly, I wouldn't trust a 40" log on tongs, anyway. (Unless you're picking up firewood). I think you'd be better off with a wire rope choker cable. The 2 1/4" Tuflex slings from Sherrill are rated at 4,200 lbs. choked, so you'd be limited to about an 8 foot log (at 40").

Tuflex is the way to go. Wire cables give you wire splinters, even through gloves. They get kinked and difficult to use after being loaded a couple times. Many guys use the green Tuflex, but I always used the yellow, which is rated about 2x as much. Can't remember specific numbers, but I think the yellow is rated at about 7000 lbs. Sherrill's lists the green at 4200 lbs.

Skidding tongs are VERY dangerous and very fast. No hassles getting the sling or cable out from under the log after loading, or getting one under the log to rig it. And I HAVE picked up 40" logs with 32" skidding tongs. They work great. The heavier the log, the better they bite. They also kick out if the setter doesn't know how to 'read' the log and get a good bite. Picking up firewood length pieces is the most dangerous, though. Not enough weight to get a bite on the log.
I used them mostly for picking up logs to get a Tuflex sling under them, then loading with the sling. NEVER let anyone get under a log lifted with tongs. ALWAYS have an escape route, and PAY ATTENTION! :blob2:

The logs I have to move currently are sugar maple, they range in diameter anywhere from 20" - 40". They range in length starting about 20' which would have to be cut anyways. I am going to move them with a New Holland 555 backhoe. The guy who I am subbing out my hauling to apparently has the tongs already, so I don't need to buy them right now. Thanks guys.

You might want to look into a grapple/clam attachment for a backhoe or skidloader.It can also be used to pick up large amounts of brush at one time also_Or make up your own once you get a look at how they are made.:D Dan

I love grapple buckets. I usde a JBC (?) loadall with one for a few days and I could put the logs anywhere in the truck I ineeded.

I've done a number of landclearings with one and they beat all for stuffing a chipper.

I was wondering if a 4 in 1 bucket would be any good for logs/ Firewood i figure it would work pretty well on brush plus i wouldnt have to change back and forth between grapple and bucket when working around the yard moving chips.

Dave, you mean the clamshell bucket. Those things really do work well. The problem with them is though, you can only pick up wood up to a certain size, then you have to get the chains out. The guy who helped me out on Saturday had the 4 in 1, it worked pretty darn well, however the larger stuff we had to chain. If you do wind up getting that kind of bucket for your loader, my guy had a big heavy duty clip on the back of his bucket, I would suggest you try to get one of those on there.

Dennis, The clamshell is the type i was speaking of I knew it worked very good for grading .I'm also thinking about adding a swivel grapple to the backhoe to load with as well.

Latest posts

Back