skidding alternatives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Have no problems with a shuttle shift it's that as a home owner and never ran a machine like that for me it was easy to hop on and step on one pedal to go forward and another to backwards.
My friend who is VT dairyman had me sold on the Shuttle but after talking with doug for me it was a given to go with the Hydro.

My friends machines are shuttle shifts and I feel it's better for his applications. I am just a low part time chicken rancher, if I put 50 hours on the machine a year that will be alot.

Last edited:
Having not used a kabota much I would take a close look at the John Deere with their new E-Hydro transmission. I have a New Holland with the hydrostat tranny and like it, also have a JD with Syncro Shuttle.

I would take a close look at the John Deere with their new E-Hydro transmission
You mean a Yanmar, right? Its pretty sad that a american icon like deere is selling yanmars with green paint and calling them JD's. Same way with newholland/ford being a rebadged shubarurasp? .

I would go with Kubota. After shopping they looked like the best deal, most options and like others have said, they build it themselves, not farmed out to someone else.

I have a 3830 HST with a 9' woods backhoe, 6' Bucket and Farmi 351P skidding winch on the way, hopefully this coming week. Will keep you posted on performance.

Thanks for the response.I also like the idea of a shutle shift,more gear and lower selection,maybe more reliable too,I also drive a diesel pick-up with a manual trans daily.I understand the HST come in handy though when using the front end loader.RON K.

How do the hydrostatic transmissions hold up? I am a little skeptical of them for longevity. There must be a reason that large equipment generally don't have hydrostatic transmissions.

The new series of large John Deere farm tractors has hydrostat. I have about 200 hrs. on my new holland TC40D since I bought it in January and so far its holding up fine. Now I know 200hrs. isn't a lot but from what I've seen with others that have them, they hold up fine as long as you take care of them with regular mantince:angel:

Hey guys,
I've got a Kubota B21 which is their industrial grade tractor/loader/backhoe. This machine is awesome. Most guys can't believe the power for its size and very rugged. I have no trouble using it for skidding and lifting logs. I use a lifting tongs on a chain off the bucket. As far as hydrostatic goes I love it. If I'm doing loader work it is so fast to go grom foward to reverse that my friend with his shuttle shift gets really jealous. Anyway
I don't think there is a better built tractor than the Kubota.

Woodho

Thanks for the information guys. I haven't seen any of the larger John Deere tractors with hydrostatic trannys but I don't disbelieve you. I just haven't seen one yet.
Where are the Kubota tractors made? They seem popular but I don't know much about them.

Kubota tractors have some components made in Japan and some are made in the US. I believe the assembly is in the US. Many of the accessories are made in the US. John Deere has some parts like the engine made off shore as well for their tractors.

TJACK

I figured that the Yanmar engines in the JD's are made in Japan but the tractor is too? How about their big stuff and there implements?

BTW Yanmar makes good stuuf. Its just be aware what you are getting when you buy a deer. In many cases you can buy the same model on the grey market for much less. A example of thisa would be the JD 790.

Latest posts

Back